Upcoming Video Games

The only unique thing about this Ghost of Tsushima demo is the focus on that Samurai movie experience with the efficient combat, camera effects etc. Aside from that looks so played out and typical of story games nowadays. It’s a cool genre but that can only take the game so far. Hopefully it’s super enjoyable with clever storytelling.

1 Like

It’s actually a huge step forward, maybe it’s either the youtube resolution and size or the fact there’s diminishing returns in visual improvements. This compares the graphical quality in the evolution of graphics on Assassin’s Creed over 11 years. At the end it compares the latest Origins game against the original (I’m aware Odyssey came after). Origins obviously looks better than the original but the difference isn’t huge for 10 years

BTW games using Unreal 5 won’t look that good until an AAA company has a good few years with it.

2 Likes

for everyone complaining about Red Dead 2 being all story and no gameplay look no further. On a technical and mechanical level looks incredible. Fuck the leaks!

Was just about to mention assassin’s creed. I think without question, they’ve released games that are at the very limit graphically of what each respective console they’ve released on, is capable. I remember being blown away by the very first one. Now the same with AC Odyssey especially with character models and environments, although I’d definitely suggest Uncharted 4 is even better than that.

Assassins Creed just doesn’t work as an RPG. I played loads of Origins, but it just pissed me off in the end. You could fucking ninja assassinate a cunt, shove your hidden blade through his neck, but if his level is like three levels higher than you, a hidden blade through the fucking throat apparently doesn’t kill him any more. It just ruins what Assassins Creed was. I wanted to sneak around and assassinate people in between parkour sessions, in Origins you can be as tactical as you like, you still end up in a slog of a battle, having to slowly chip away at your enemy’s stupid little fucking health bars with boring, repetitive fighting because you can’t assassinate people as reliably as you once could.

The different ranks/levels required to basically do missions in different regions of the giant map essentially just mean that only one area of the map is ever really worth being in at any point. The other areas either require you to be a higher level to not get pulverised as soon as you try to fight someone or do a mission, or they’re lower rank areas than your current rank, in which case there’s no incentive to do the missions there because the XP you gain is comparatively small and therefore fairly useless. Also upgrading items loses all impact. Oh joy, I’ve just picked up a sword that is level 57, my current one is only level 56, how exciting. I can’t wait to see how little perceptible difference there is between this sword and my level 56 one when I spend five minutes repetitively hacking away at some enemy. Fucking load of old bollocks.

The upside of these kinds of RPGs is meant to be an excellent storyline, great writing, good voice acting. But none of that was fucking present in Assassin’s Creed Origins at any point.

If I wanted to play the fucking Witcher 3, that’s what I’d play. It’s a great fucking game. When I play Assassins Creed I want to play a fucking Assassin’s Creed game, not a shitty imitation of popular and better RPG.

I’ve completed every Assassin’s Creed game (aside from the very first and then the French Revolution one, neither of which I’ve played) up to Origins, but I’m so over it now despite the love I’ve had for the series.

Far Cry is showing signs of that too in New Dawn, embracing the RPG side of things too much. Now enemies have these annoying little fucking health bars above their heads, and different levels/ranks. It just turns some of them into absolute bullet sponges, and nobody playing Far Cry wants that. Leaving specifically heavily armoured NPCs aside, if I shoot a cunt with a high calibre sniper rifle in the fucking temple, I want him to die, its that simple. Likewise if I spray half a clip of an assault rifle into his chest from fifteen yards away.

Stop fucking with formulae that work, I’m playing a game because I like it, I’m not sat there wishing it was more like a different game.

1 Like

I want us all to remember MGSV and what a fucking disappointment that was.

The gameplay and stealth mechanics were 10/10 and absolutely fucking brilliant, the best of any stealth game EVER I can tell you that right now.

All it needed to be one of the games of the generation and one of the best games ever was a passable story and passable mission design.

As it is, it didn’t even have mediocre story or mission design. It was downright dreadful and completely unfinished tinpot mess, where you could tell the thought just wasn’t there anymore.

Also when you add the laziness of the character quiet…

A good story would have this game as top 5 of all time for me, a great one would have it number one.

But the story was so bad that we barely talk about it anymore, and it’s pretty sad how much wasted potential there is.

Also Jack Bauer did a great job as big boss, and they barely gave him any lines ffs. The story was told in cassette tapes ffs.

Fuck Kojima and fuck konami for screwing this so bad. The twist at the end was pretty good but again, told pretty badly story wise.

MGSV was like the game version of having Messi Ronaldo, Xavi, Iniesta in attacks, supported by a defence of Lovren, Xhaka, Almunia, Mustafi and Cygan.

2 Likes

I was actually going to disagree with you as I enjoyed MGSV but I do agree with everything you say. I think the plot had it’s moments and shock elements. The part where everyone on the rig gets sick is immense. But yeh it’s a bit muddled and largely built in nostalgia. Quiet is a nothing Sniper Wolf. Though I do like how her glare follows you in the helicopter.

And like you say the Fox engine is some of the finest game mechanics I’ve ever played. In many ways this game felt like it was a generation a head of other games. They obviously ran out of money at the end which didn’t help and you can watch the true ending online which was never added which is madness.

I think that they focused on the open world too much which isn’t the essence of Metal Gear, not to mention the replaying certain parts was a complete cop out.

I don’t hate the game in many ways I think it’s one of the best and most impressive I’ve played in years. But yeh it could and should have been so much more.

Wait what? This just sounds mental

I think they did Tue open world thing really well. The best way a stealth game could tbf.

But the main storyline was just so unfinished and bad.

The game itself was still pretty good despite that, which shows how good the gameplay was to make up for that because it really should be a 1/10 when in reality the gameplay takes it up to a 6/10.

And by true ending, do you mean

that deleted mission where liquid steals the metal gear and goes off to an island in some lord of the flies shit?

That looked more to me like the start of another chapter, which would have been epic.

The game isn’t even bad, but the potential was there to be the best game ever. 10/10. And it was squandered.

That’s kind of why I stopped playing Witcher 3 for now, after finishing 1 and 2. Which were also better stories from what I’ve got upto in 3.

I only played a bit of Origins and Odyssey but Odyssey feels far more like an RPG than Origins

Playing 1 and 2 at the same time and the combat in 1 is the easiest and you feel like a bad ass wiping out 10 templars when they get in the way of your business.

Yeah I heard Odyssey went further into the RPG territory, so it won’t be for me I’ve decided.

Which is a shame, as Origins was lovely to look at. I enjoyed the aesthetics of the game world greatly, cos ancient Egypt is something I’ve loved since I was a tiny kid. Fucking pyramids! But yeah, think ive given you all enough detail about what I didn’t like about that game, won’t retread.

The Batman games (Asylum, Arkham City, Origins, Arkham Knight) are similar to AC games imo if you’re looking for that fix

1 Like

Good shout, but I’ve already completed Asylum, City and Origins twice apiece, and Knight once (I’ll deffo give that another play through ina the next couple years).

Absolutely love that series.

Yeh they wanted to explore that more but ran out of money which is why the game felt so horribly incomplete.

Available tomorrow

2 Likes

Saw this and remembered the discussion here about PS5’s SSD and how it fairs against top of the line tech today.
Seems like the discussion completely blew up since then. Looks like Epic Games CEO Tim Sweeney spent quite some time answering to fanboys and trolls explaining his comments and even Linus had to make a video to apologize.

Did you get it @Bl1nk.

Is it any good if u did or have EA messed it up

1 Like

I really like it. They have done a great job IMO.

Their decision to allow easy modding is smart, as the game has huge following and already a lot of maps and mods are created by users.

You shouldn’t expect a ton of new stuff though, it’s still only a remaster, but it includes Tiberium dawn, RA1 and all expansion packs. So you do get a lot of content, just not new. But it is in glorious 4K!

Nearly clocked the GDI campaign on Tiberium Dawn :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Cheers mate I been abit reluctant to drop money on a ea remaster but it sounds like they have done it justice.
Will have to pick it up shortly

It’s been 8 years Rockstar you boring bastards ffs.

GTAV new maps or whatever the fuck, for PS5.

It came out 2 generations ago!!!

Spiderman, now that’s better.