Unpopular football opinions

Aguero is our generations Romario and Henry is closer in mould to R9.

You pick a Romario if you want a complete striker but you pick an R9 if you want a complete player.

You go for Henry if you want someone who can do everything and Aguero if you want someone who is as good as it gets in the striking role.

5 Likes

Henry could win games on his own. Aguero cant.

4 Likes

Argument like thet can always be argued against, goals come from other sources, we sold van Persie or scored 30 goals . The season after our top scorer was Walcott with 12 but we scored 2 less goals overall throughout the season.

Best we make money on him in Jan or the Summer to let Arteta improve the squad, itā€™s clear he doesnt see him as his ideal striker as he keeps shifting him wide.

I feel like our players have let Arsenal down alot so I dont really have any attachment to them like I used to. Much prefer to bin as many and start again.

I definitely get the overall sentiment but we didnā€™t build a team around RVP weā€™d let so many players go weā€™d become totally reliant on him.

If you have a world class striker like RVP or Auba, you build a world class team around them and you can get the best results. The reliance on them comes from surrounding them with dross which is what has happened in both instances.

If we lose Auba we lose a 30+ goal a season striker and thatā€™s not easily replaceable.

2 Likes

Hes barely going to break 20 again this season in my opinion, and I donā€™t think building around soon to be a 31 year old poacher is a wise move.

Heā€™s got 14 goals in his opening 22 games in a team with diabolical chance creation. Heā€™s a 30+ goal a season striker. He got 30+ last season and heā€™s more than capable of getting 30+ this season given heā€™s got 16 already and thereā€™s easily 20+ games left.

2 Likes

Oh youā€™re including europa league sorry, I never include that shit competition my bad.

I can see your point here. This is why I posted it in the unpopular opinions thread instead of his player thread haha

2 Likes

I think the best player is normally the best player.

I donā€™t think you can say something like Aguero is a better pure striker based on his role in his team and his ability forcing him to be that.

Henry was spending time on the wing and coming deep to get the ball and helping build play because he was our best player. Iā€™m sure if Henry did nothing other than what Aguero did for his entire career heā€™d be as good an out and out striker, whereas Aguero could never offer his team what Henry did.

I love Aguero btw.

9 Likes

We need to expand our talent farm operation to Chelsea levels of abuse.

We should already be hoovering up all the u23 talents out there, weā€™ve done better since Wenger left but need more

1 Like

English clubs should invest the money they use to poach 16-year old kids from the continent in national academies, their coaches and the coaching set ups, both at the clubs and the FA, so that they can properly educate their ā€˜ownā€™ players in stead of needing foreign youth.

3 Likes

You make it sound like barely breaking 20 in the league is nothing lol, on average how many players hit 20+ league goals per season in the EPL ?

1 Like

On average 4 to 5 players get atleast 20, for someone with such a limited skillset apart from scoring goals, which isnt a bad thing, and ā€œworld classā€ at it, it should be the nothing to him in my opinion

Was it that unpopular?!

4 Likes

Yeah I was going to say 4 or 5 at most on average, which when you consider the amount of attacking players in the league itā€™s minimal, so not something that should be disregarded.

Hmmm, see Iā€™d put R9 in the Aguero category (and Aguero is the one who drifts more into the Henry mould)

Pure finishers. R9, RvN, Gerd Muller, Jimmy Greaves. R9 the best of the lot.

R9 was the first striker to truly modernise the position on an elite level. He was the one dropping deep, drifting out wide and cutting in.

He was an inspiration for guys like Henry and that comes from the guy himself.

A complete player and way way way more than just a pure finisher.

2 Likes

R9 and RvN in the same sentence.

Thatā€™s your funniest one to date, Dave

5 Likes

Yeah Dave lost it with that one lol. R9 is one of the greatest players to ever play the game.

I mean you wouldnā€™t even put Henry up alongside peak R9.

2 Likes

How close would prime Neymar get.