Unai Emery

I am happy for him, as he found the right place and right team to coach.

A team with limited budget and not much expectations… he is more than capable to win some games.

Once he completely settled, he should be able to get Villa a FA Cup/EL Cup run.

1 Like
4 Likes

Good for him

2 Likes

Way too good for Villa. Hope he can get the Atletico gig when Cholo moves on.

1 Like

quality and solid manager.
may have problem managing big teams but he can get decent to good results with limited budget and average squad.

3 Likes

Do Emery has Villa 7th now, they were fighting to survive under Gerrard. :rofl:

3 Likes

Wait? Where’s he going? They’re actually playing pretty well right now.

Probably like that unbeaten run he had us on.

Rumours that this might be his last season.

Hadn’t even clocked that Villa were in 7th. Unai doing a really terrific job there.

If they can qualify for the competition, you wouldn’t be surprised if the Europa League Master did something special next season with Villa.

3 Likes

I think he’s a good manager, just unfortunate timing with Arsenal because

(1) his english wasn’t as great then, now he has a bit more experience at can delivery his message better
(2) got fucked by Raul the cunt with transfers
(3) wasn’t backed by the board to clear out the swamp like Arteta was

Maybe Arteta just has a much stronger ability to talk to the board about his vision and what needs to be done with the squad. I don’t think Unai would take us to the #1 seat ever, but definitely isnt a bad manager

4 Likes

Their win rate under him is pretty good indeed. I think it’s only third behind us and City.

It’s not inconceivable that if the teams above them keep fucking about, that they could sneak into that 4th spot.

Would be pretty sad if Aston Villa wins a European trophy before us.

1 Like

Pretty sure they’ve won the European Cup before back in the late 70s or early 80s. They’ve won the big one long before we ever even made the final of it.

4 Likes

They already have won the European Cup before us. :grinning:

4 Likes

That’s pretty sad.

And if they win it in modern European era before us too, it would be double cheeseburger sad. :man_shrugging:t4:

It’s so good that Mikel Arteta is elite, because if we were languishing in 8th or something imagine the shit that would be getting thrown our way about the job Unai is doing at Villa.

I don’t think it was necessarily this. I think it’s all about timing and eventually realising that the players were the answer.

Arteta didn’t get opportunity to make wholesale changes til it was slapping the board in the face that the existing squad was full of garbage.

They sacked wenger thinking he was underperforming so it didn’t make sense to overhaul the squad, the expectation was Emery to improve the existing squad.

I think it was the Drayton Park Arms I went in once after a match and there was good natured banter going on between gooners and Villa fans. They were taking the piss out of us for having never won the European Cup/CL, and gooners were happily taking it on the chin and giving back about having just done them by 5 or 6 goals.

Their jibes did sting a little, part of me was definitely like

1 Like

fair play to the guy, he’s doing really great at Villa

1 Like