Unai Emery

I think Eddie Howe is a future Spurs manager. And I wouldn’t mind that at all.

I think he’s Everton bound if he ever leaves.

I like Eddie personally, but feel him coming to Arsenal will in some ways be similar to Moyes going to United. Excellent managers who can stabilise “average” clubs and perform exceptionally well, but don’t quite have the “x factor” to take over a “big team” and hit that next level. I don’t know who our next manager will be, but if we are to get back to being title contenders again, think the next appointment will need to be radical. Not someone who’s doing well and punching above their weights, but someone who has what it takes to revolutionise an entire football club. Of course there are managers out there who can bring instant success but leave the club more destabilised, Jose coming to mind. But I’d rather we go for someone who can be here for the long haul. Though one could argue I’m just living in the past and long term successful managers exist no more. One can still hope we get a talented manager who is willing to give the majority of his career to make Arsenal a force in world football again for years to come. The only little thing that remains is to find such a man.

I think a little like us Chelsea and United are where wishing to be in a half decent position with our next boss when the top two lose their current managers.
The sad thing is since Fergie left and United’s fall we are the one side not to have reaped any reward at that time.
We have to be ready to challenge properly when pep and Klopp go in that moment.

2 Likes

Id bring Rafa in now - Emery is unfortunately not gonna take us anywhere

No if my life depended on us playing with some sort of identity and being actually half decent to watch.

Also Emery failed at Champions qualification also so if you backed him you’d already be dead in that regard also.

1 Like

When PSG didn’t win it Emery was also in charge :joy:, but we’ll leave that part out.

1 Like

I think the :grinning: should have been a bit of a clue.

The great thing about being pessimistic, when you support Arsenal, is that when they do something great, it’s a nice surprise.
I’m not sure when that’s going to happen but that’s what I’ve been told. :wink:

2 Likes

The two legs of the PSG-Barca tie actually seems a better indicator of who Emery is as a manager when looking back in hindsight. A good manager tactically capable enough to out do Barcelona and take a 4-0 lead. But not quite capable/courageous enough to shut out the game. Football is unpredictable and may be Barcelona had everything going for them that day. But you just don’t give away a 4-0 first leg lead if you’re one of the top 5 managers in the world. Which Emery himself will probably agree - he isn’t.

2 Likes

Well no, there are multiple variables to high risk. Low reward is one of them.

High risk - high reward.
High risk - low reward.
Low risk - high reward.
Low risk - low reward.

Throw in medium variations in there as well if you’d like.

No, I argued that based on the FACTS, something Abou conveniently ignores, we don’t know anything about how Arteta would do here. But using deductive logic, one can relatively safely determine that appointing Arteta at the time with little to no experience would be a high risk, highly stupid hire. More stupid then Emery at the time.

Jesus guys, if you put the agenda aside it’s really not that hard to understand.

And I don’t give a fuck about Emery, for all I care he is fired today. Fact is hiring him at the time IS defensible unlike Abou keeps banging on the contrary using very flawed logic.

2 Likes

I mentioned the season he didn’t win it with PSG. It happens, Monaco was freakishly good. Then all their good players fucked off and PSG is winning it again with two fingers in the nose and one up the ass.

You’re projecting mate.

How can hiring an extremely poor candidate ever be defensible? And how can pointing out that hiring an extremely poor candidate is indefensible be poor logic. :sweat_smile:

You can’t claim hindsight because we all are saying the exact same thing we said now the moment he was hired. In terms of logic you’ve got nowhere to go. You’re a man in checkmate screaming at the chess board.

1 Like

Checkmate is you. To this very moment you have presented zero facts for your logic, whereas I presented them to you yesterday. If you did two years ago, you can repeat them now again and try and convince me. I was never involved endlessly in the discussion two years ago so I am not going to waste my time looking for your facts when you’re too lazy to write them down in 5 minutes now.

I suspect, because your facts simply don’t hold up to logic and reasoning. You’re entirely agenda driven. Defending his appointment at the time is defensible when you put your agenda aside. I was never a fan of Emery, but at the time it was between him and Arteta with zero experience and zero authority, then the choice for Emery was a logical one from the club and denying that in the face of all the facts and reasoning is just plain trolling on your part.

2 Likes

Not how high risk, high reward actually works.

High Risk, high reward means that for a high risk to be worth it will require a higher potential reward over one with a lower risk choice. A high risk choice not necessarily means a higher reward potential.

4 Likes

I don’t get the tunnel vision on Arteta, there was a whole host of managers that apparently got interviewed (According to Gazidis) before Emery got the reigns. Who were they? That’s more interesting in my mind.

5 Likes

Hiring Arteta has a far greater chance of turning out to be a Stramaccioni type hire than it does of being Pep mark II.

The unknown is fun until you realise you’re giving someone with 0 managerial experience the keys to a big club replacing a legendary manager, who have a shit squad and not the kind of players you’d usually associate with Pep’s brand of football (which is what I’m assuming people think is Arteta’s philosophy).

9 Likes

Wasn’t Luis Enrique one?

Reports seemed to suggest that he wanted a transfer fund of x, whereas ours was only y. Suggestion at the time seemed to be we couldn’t match what he wanted, not that we chose someone else over him.

Could just be poorly remembered Internet bullshit though tbf lol

1 Like

Lol, I think you’re onto something, though.

For all intents and purposes, at one point Luis Enrique at Arsenal seemed like a done deal

I agree.
I’d like to know who was on the supposed list of around ten candidates.
It’s a bit worrying that, considering the board had plenty of time to find a replacement for Wenger, Emery and Arteta were at the top of the list.

They knew well before the announcement that Wenger was going, so a club as big as us should have aimed a little higher, if they really are as ambitious as they said they say they are.

Neither Emery or Arteta were going to take us to the next level and, as it has turned out, Emery hasn’t even sorted out our chaotic defence yet and is replicating Wenger’s persistence of under performing players.

If they were at the top of the list, how uninspiring were the rest of the prospective managers?

Whoever the next choice is, I hope the board has learned that only the best will do and they need to sort it out quickly.

Man U, spurs and other clubs are already looking around for new managers and we don’t want to be in the position we normally are in these situations, which is scrabbling around for the scraps that are left behind.

If Emery does get us a top four place, you can guarantee our useless board will offer him a new contract.

1 Like