Unai Emery

I asked which team has he got punching above their weight, not where has he met expectations…

I’d say 2.3 points per game with Dortmund is above expectations.

Like I’d also say if a manager had Arsenal going at 2.3 points per game it’s also a fantastic achievement.

1 Like

The same Dortmund that are going to be champions of the Bundesliga this year and that played a CL final a couple of years before he took over them?

Don’t use Klopp’s Dortmund as a comparison, I wanted him at the helm and Wenger sacked after the 14/15 season.

Tuchel inherited Klopp’s Dortmund…

1 Like

Ok then the season before Tuchel took over they got 46 points. Tuchel’s first season they achieved 32 more points in the league.

Can’t have it both ways.

I think you need to double-check your facts before posting. They had 71 points before Tuchel took over and achieved the amazing 7 points more with a team that had won the title and played CL final in the past 3 years.

Yeah, I can definitely see how he made them punch above their weight. :xhaka:

Sorry, they did have 46 points, was looking at the previous season.

The point stands, the fact they dropped for one season doesn’t make picking them back up punching above their weight. They are comfortably the 2nd best team in Germany, have recently won titles and competed among the best in Europe, something we haven’t done in 15 years.

The point stands that he improved them by 32 points in his first season in charge :wink:.

Might want to edit out that double check your facts part also :clap:.

It was a freak last season with Kloop and was not really indicative of their actual quality.
Tuchel getting them to play as their capability dictates is no miracle.

No one is denying he improved them. That’s very different from making them punch above their weight.

Emery has also improved us compared to Wenger’s last season.

1 Like

Yeah I did state that Emery is likely to improve us by about 10 points if you read about 15 or so posts up.

Why do I have do edit it, I made a mistake, admitted it and apologized.

So? What has Tuchel done more than Emery then so that you expect him to make us punch above our weight? 2.3 points per game with a team that had 2.4 points per game 3 years prior and won the title? How is that punching above your weight? When was the last time our current team had 2.3 points per game or won the title?

The last time we had 2.3 points per game or more was 2003-2004.

Basically what Tuchel did at BVB in 15/16 was good enough to win the Titles in Klopp’s years, so he can consider himself slightly unlucky to be up against Pep’s Bayern.

IMO Tuchel is better than Emery, but do I think he’d have us competing for the league with this Arsenal side ? No I don’t…

1 Like

But then he had the opportunity to win against Ancelotti’s Bayern the following season and finished 18 points adrift (64 points), behind Leipzig and marginally ahead of Hoffenheim :slight_smile:

1 Like

He had one good year and he flopped in the second. He hasn’t done anything of significance, is getting way too much romanticism and certainly hasn’t made any side punch above their weight.

1 Like

Just so we can clarify, did Emery underachieve at PSG ? Or is Tuchel making them punch above their weight ?

1 Like

Emery was on target for 102 points last year up until round 34 but they picked up 3 points in their last 4 games when their season was already long over. (lost 1, drew 3)

Let’s wait until the season is over before we make arguments in Tuchel’s favour about the current season.

Alright I’m happy to wait 3 months and see what the points tally is and the outcome in the CL.

1 Like

PSG’s targets are to win everything, so they cannot punch above their weight, because their weight is what all others measure against. According to your logic regarding Emery, if Tuchel doesn’t win the treble (which he won’t because he already went out of the cup), he is underachieving. If he doesn’t win the CL, he’s underachieving. If he doesn’t win the league with 100 points or more, he is underachieving.

1 Like

If you were so inclined you could say similar about Emery coming up against a freakishly good Monaco, no? Any other season and thats another PSG league win.

1 Like