Unai Emery

List them.

Conte, Jardim, Sarri, Tuchel, Nagelsmann

I can only give you Jardim. The rest would have never come.

Liverpool managed to get Klopp when they were worse off than we currently are now.

They have more money than us.

Provide evidence of that please

I wonder if Emery has lost the dressing room.
After watching the match against West Ham it seems as if certain players weren’t motivated and players like Ozil, Torreira and Ramsey were left out for no other reason than " a tactical decision."

I didn’t realise that leaving your best players out of team, already lacking in quality, was a good tactical decision.

There is definitely something wrong at the club and we have reverted back to playing like we did when Wenger was here, which was poor defending, no organisation and stubborn management.

I’m all for giving Emery at least a couple of seasons and transfer windows but when you leave your best players out of the squad, then play without any urgency and leak goals in almost every game, it’s not doing him any favours with trying to keep the supporters on his side.

2 Likes

Jardim is the only one capable of working on a tight budget and with limited options like it happened at Monaco. Nagelsmann is still a bit unproven, instead.

Need to add someone to your cocky list @Luca_from_Italy :wink:

Really want it to work out for him as he seems like such a nice guy and cares about our club but recently it’s been shit, Ozil has to play every game

2 Likes

We are trying but you keep reminding us every 15 minutes.

1 Like

Emery was never my first choice either. I wanted Allegri more than anything and then I wanted Conte next. I’d have loved Sarri or Jardim too but I wasn’t disappointed in Emery because I felt and still feel it’s important we got a manager that would help lay the foundations of what’s to come for the club. I think Emery is your ideal candidate if you want to stabilise a club and bring a bit of consistency and that’s what I genuinely believe will happen.

I don’t think I’ve ever personally believed we’ll win the title under Emery. Think being the key word there lol. But I’m happy to give him time to implement something different at Arsenal but I think whoever we brought in would have struggled because replacing a 22 year manager is never going to be easy and Emery is unfortunately going to be the fall guy for the next couple of seasons whilst we try to undo a decade of mismanagement.

6 Likes

When Wenger was our manager I never thought of this guy as our manager tbh. Didn’t really know him apart from being the guy who lost to Barca after winning the first leg 4-0

This isn’t a dig btw just an observation from me.

He is fucking right. Most of you are just doom anti-Arsenal mongers.

Saying we aren’t finishing top 4 isn’t doom mongoring lol. Its the truth. We may have a slight chance if he plays our best player tho :thinking:

Imagine Sarri freezing out Hazard. Ridiculous isn’t it?

1 Like

I have already accepted we aren’t finishing 4th. I just hate people like you not accepting we aren’t a big club anymore. Relax and enjoy our new status.

Enjoy? :wink:

1 Like

Let’s be fair here too though. The club didn’t need to give everybody but Wilshere an extension in the summer. I’m not sure that really helped the clean up. Bernd Leno isn’t a clever deal either imo. I reckon for the stint he had at Leverkusen he was already on a decent salary which will probably not be less here. And so on.

I think the contract thing was just to secure our assets and increase their transfer value. But I think our summer dealings were really poor to be honest with you and we just didn’t make the right signings to be honest and we didn’t get rid of the right people.

The Leno signing seemed like a hedge.

We could have (in theory) blown our entire transfer budget on signing a proven keeper like Oblak, who was rumored to be a target. That type of deal would have fit with the Ederson and Allison signings by Man City and Liverpool respectively. It even would have fit in with Man U and Spurs signing De Gea and Lloris. You spend a lot of money to get a keeper who has a ton of quality and is young enough to still have an upside.

Instead the club decided to hedge by signing a keeper like Leno who is most certainly a tier or three below the guys I mentioned. If it works out, we look like geniuses for spending a fraction of the money on a guy who is just as good. The only problem is that there’s a reason Leno cost a fraction of what guys like Ederson and Allison cost … he’s not even half as good.

I don’t think Emery was really given a ton of input on the summer signings. I have more of an issue with his continued reliance on Matteo and Mustafi. These are two guys who look out of their depth at the moment, but for different reasons. Matteo is making a huge jump up in terms of competition and we have plenty of tape on Mustafi to know that he just isn’t very good. But we still see them week in and week out.

I’m not really sure what was going on with his comments during the press conference but they read to me like a pretty direct message to Raul, Sven and company. I don’t think we’re going to make any signings over the next two weeks so it’s really on Emery to do whatever it takes to regain control of the situation. I don’t know how damaging it would be to his position as coach to extend an olive branch of Ozil or to say to Ramsey that he’s going to play every fucking game from now until May and it doesn’t matter if he arrives in Turin so far in the red zone it’s not even funny.

At the end of the day I don’t think Emery was going to be anything other than a stopgap. We were a reclamation project and he needed to rehabilitate his own image after a very messy divorce with PSG. We had a squad in total disarray and he had experience working under strict guidelines. We had a superstar playmaker who needed some TLC and he had experience working with Neymar. And most importantly, we were out of the Champions League.

I think it’s going to get worse before it gets better. I can definitely see us limping to a sixth place finish this year and no UCL next year. That might be what’s required to push a guy like Ozil out, if that’s Emery really wants, in order to free up wage space.