Unai Emery

I think there are some that feel the compulsion to beat others over the head with their “rightness.”

There’s truth in that. He’s already the manager now, so it’s all academic.

It’s still good to debate Emery, though. It’s what we all decidedly didn’t do with Wenger. We only started questioning him after 2006

2 Likes

Well it’s hardly sensible to call Emery’s resume unimpressive while he himself calls for Arteta to be favoured over Emery. Arteta who has exactly next to no experience and by all means an unimpressive resume as a manager.

:arteta:

I think the logic behind it was going with a diamond in the rough that has a good football brain and been under the best manager in the world for the last 2 seasons. Yes it would have been a huge risk and blown up in our face, but what’s the worst a club like Arsenal can finish ? He also potentially could be the next big thing and we would have got in early.

Emery was the safe but uninspiring option, should steady us and keep us in the 4th-6th places comfortably, but as @AbouCuellar has said many times he isn’t the guy that’s going to have us winning / competing for titles.

1 Like

Why would we have questioned him before then?

1 Like

We have no fucking clue if Arteta has a good football brain. None. Zip. Nada. Maybe he’s just really fucking good at taking instruction from Pep too. Wanting Arteta instead of a manager with about a dozen trophies to his name is laughable really.

7 Likes

We had a few trophyless, barren seasons before then.

1999, 2000, 2001. I get that it would have been harsh to question Wenger at that point given that he won the double in 98, but it could have been that it was because he had questions put to him by the board that he was able to be as ambitious as we’ve ever seen him in the summer transfer market of 2001

Had an elite football brain as a player but yeah I have no idea what he will be like as a manager.

I know what Emery is like though and he generally achieves par for the course in terms of league position, so I’m expecting a few 4th-6th place finishes. It will then come down to if that’s the clubs level of ambition as to if he stays on beyond 2-3 seasons.

Lol. Barren, seriously? Those seasons were bookended by doubles.

What does that even mean and how did he display this eliteness?

1 Like

Look at how good he was late in his career as a player, adapting to different roles etc, lots of that without great athletic ability which means football smarts was paramount.

We were a long way off the pace in 2000 and in 2001, in spite of finishing 2nd. Cup runs didn’t help mask that.

In this day and age, there is absolutely no doubt Wenger would have been questioned in 2001

No it doesn’t. It means his ability was quite good/above average. It’s not like he lost loads of pace and had to dramatically adapt or anything like that.

it also doesnt mean he can transfer that into managerial or coaching positions. There are far better players than him out there that totally fucked up coaching or being managers and they accept they are nothing alike. Some brilliant managers didnt even really play that well or at all but get brilliant results just because you are a great player and adaptable in your play doesnt mean you can coach. Who even says that the players would even respect Arteta enough to be coached by him considering just recently he was their team mate. There is a saying familiarity breeds contept…it could all go terribly wrong. Then guess what we would get people saying OMG WTF the stupid fucking dickheads that run our club go and get an inexperienced novice like Arteta when there is an experienced manager out there that has won us the competition we are in 3 times and we go for this shitshow.

1 Like

sorry, he was a good player, but don’t overhype him as a genius.

He was smart, probably yes, but as @Maverick79 said, how the hell we know he could transfer his smartness?
Not like every smart player can transfer into a smart manager…

I agree who knows how that would have panned out, I’m just explaining the logic of going for more of a left field type option that’s all.

Sorry What?

Elite footballing brain? Elite?

:arteta:

Seriously, you guys are incredibly oblivious to how little sense you make by twisting and turning into knots you can’t get out of anymore.

It’s laughable at this stage. At the very least be a man (directed at AC because he is doing everything he can to show off his ignorance with each reply) and admit that slating Emery for an unimpressive resume, yet suggesting Arteta to take over with almost no managerial resume and thus a very unimpressive resume is highly hypocritical.

Bingo. This was my biggest issue when it looked like he would be our manager, as intriguing as it was.

When someone who was your coworker comes back as your boss, you might not have much hesitation in telling them to go fuck themselves when they start to show their authority. Things could go very wrong.

It probably wouldn’t have been a problem, but I liked bringing in a manager who had no prior connection to the club and could look at absolutely everything objectively, without any preconceived thoughts.

This was aside from all of the logical reservations about his lack of experience.

1 Like

Yeah Zola had ten times that and look how that turned out. Nobody eles moved for him yet. Why not united now their desperate. Not going to flag up on theirs or anyone elses yet. Everton in dire trouble went nowhere close too him.
Hazarding a guess he wasnt on your top 5 list or even on it. Sorry but you cant argue on Artetas behalf when you never gave him a mention before Emery.

3 Likes

I’m not saying we should have gone with Arteta, just saying I can understand the logic of going with an unknown over the safe but uninspiring Emery.