Unai Emery

The last sentence is your opinion, one that I may even shade to agree with, but you make it out like you are the arbiter of football truth and I think that rubs people the wrong way, especially with the nasty insults and bits.

2 Likes

There were others I probably would have preferred over Emery, but I am software executive who loves football… and I suspect most of us here with similar credentials… so I imagine I might not have the knowledge or faculties to judge without at least some degree of modesty.

Well if we apply that logic the guy who was the ‘leader’ in the decision making process came from a marketing/Law background lol :wink:.

He was an executive in football though… he wasn’t making football decisions but absolutely he had the background and experience… more importantly, he had immense resources at his disposal to make the decision… just like I would not make a straight decision about a new technology without a bunch of gathering of information and consultations with a number of experts.

I don’t make it out to be like anything but what I am. If people read it like that, it’s their problem…that it rubs people the wrong way is mine, indeed, but I’m okay with it, I’m quite conscious of how I express myself and my reasons for doing so.

I used the same logic to defend Wenger. Trust me, it’s not a good one.

Wenger certainly isn’t ceteris paribis though… I believe you are conscious of how you express yourself and how it is received, but I hope you learn at some point it diminishes your effectiveness as a communicator … or perhaps just refrain from engaging in it in places like this. I honestly don’t mean this with malice.

I was wrong. :santi:

6 Likes

Im taking it that the cone gnome Arteta would not fit that bill either with you though.

This kinda sums up how I felt. My knowledge of European football isn’t what it once was but I really quite fancied Jardim, he seemed like he could have been great for us. It would have excited me too in a way Emery didn’t particularly. Emery isn’t a disaster, and it could work out well if he gets us into the Champions League (via an EL win or top four), I think this is quite feasible. I said when he was appointed, if he’s here for two or three years and he wins one or two pots, gets us back in the CL and gets our squad used to modern training methods, match preparations and tactics then I’m fine with that.

So what I want to see is the club prove that they are ambitious and astute by then recognising the need to appoint the visionary/revolutionary manager who is capable of taking us that step further and challenging for/winning the league, after having Emery steady the ship and improve us for a couple of years.

Because I’ve doubted the likelihood of Emery being a world class manager and being able to get us back to the very top since day one, and I’ve not yet changed my mind on that (quite probably I never will)

But what I do want to do is give him every possible chance, because he’s our manager and I want to get behind our own. He’s also made a decent start and there are things I’ve been able to enjoy about his tenure so far. But I am undecided on what happens from here, how good he’ll actually turn out to be. I’m hoping that he knows that this gig is absolutely massive in terms of the trajectory his career takes after relative failure at PSG, this is a huge gig for him.

There’s my ramble in the subject.

5 Likes

It actually makes me laugh how members if an internet forum think they have better insight to the football world than Sven Mislintat, Raul Sanllenhi and Ivan Gazidis.

It’s actually beyond dellusional and quite pathetic.

1 Like

I don’t think all supporters think they know more but sometimes they are right.

For instance Gazidis and the Arsenal board thought it was the correct decision to keep giving Wenger new contracts while not going for managers like Klopp who a lot of supporters wanted here.

I also know that Emery was no where near the top of most supporters list for his replacement.
That doesn’t mean that the board appointed the best manager but a manager that was willing to work under the financial restraints the board will inevitably put on him.

It’s probably true that most supporters don’t no more than people who work inside the game but how many times do we see certain players get picked, knowing full well they aren’t good enough or aren’t putting enough effort in, yet the manager, who should kno better, relentlessly keeps picking them and then go on to sell them.

Anyway, without armchair managers what else would we have to talk about? :wink:

1 Like

Of course. Not saying it shouldn’t be discussed.

Just some people go to extraordinary lengths to say why manager A is better than manager B but with no real reason as to why. And then end up insulting half the forum based on absolutely nothing.

4 Likes

but what about all the analytical data :giroud:

I think there is also the cherry-picking of data and the way it is presented… for some reason the narrative of Emery’s history has become fairly uninspiring and I think there is a legitimate read on it that is pretty impressive. But maybe more importantly, it is all done without context and objectivity (imho)… comparing two managers with different careers on different teams is super hard and I suspect the football people that make these choices use a massive quantity of data above what is easily publicly available to any of us in 30 minutes of internet research.

Its like me making a choice of next head engineer by using LindedIn alone…

1 Like

Wait a minute Emery had Valencia and Sevilla performing way higher than they were in prior seasons and he had PSG pick up 2 of their highest ever points totals. All while picking up 7 cups. Not to mention getting tiny outfits promoted to levels they never reached before or after. But as you were

7 Likes

Well, he won the league in France… he “failed” because he could not win the CL?
The game that a lot of people said he choked, against Barcelona in the CL, was the corrupted game that fucking Neymar and Mascherano should be sent off, especially the great pretender Neymar… he should be off for twice.

it was also said that the players on that match were arrogant and didnt listen to unai and didnt stick to his tactics and felt they had a walk in the park because of the big deficit barca had against them and started playing for themselves not the team.

Yeah and the year they didn’t win title, Monaco had insane 95 points and +76 goal difference - let that sink in… they scored on average 2 more goals than their opponents that year… it was one of those lightning bolt moments. The capitulation to Barca was bad, but it was one game against a historic side that on their day could have torn anyone apart.

1 Like

It was one of those classic Barca moments in the CL where the referees just absolutely lay down for them. The Suarez dive was particularly annoying.

Even without that though, I’m not more inclined to blame a manager than the players for letting a 3 goal advantage crack in the final minutes. Its the job of the guys on the pitch to see it out at that point and those players completely self-destructed.

2 Likes

Talk about cherry-picking of data…

1. When a manager is fired it is almost always by definition because of an under-performing, so your definition of Emery doing better than they were in previous seasons (when both clubs were coming from disasters)…

How’s Sevilla done after Emery? First season: finished higher than he ever did, including competing for the title for a bit. Right now: Competing for the title, 2nd place. With two separate managers. Really missing him…

1. PSG picking up two of its record points totals :rofl: How coincidental that a club with literally no history starts picking up record points totals right when it becomes the biggest spending club in world football. Dunno how Emery managed that!

People smoothing over that 87 pt total in Ligue 1 with that squad as anything but what it was–a massive failure–are really reaching. Even his 93 pt total with Neymar and Mbappé is relatively unimpressive. Tuchel is currently on pace for 104,5 and that’s with Neymar and Mbappé injured or not used cause of the world cup for a number of fixtures this season…

What bollocks, lol. You really gonna pretend like in all of the discussion that there’s been about Emery there hasn’t been a great dissection of his resume? Look it up.

2 Likes