UK General Election | December 2019

No there wouldn’t because you’re no threat to them despite being obvious discontent. You need to offer a threat.

IE a third party threat. So Tories moved to the right at the threat of UKIP. So if you aren’t happy with a left wing party you really should vote for one of their rivals and then maybe they might be smart enough to shit it and move to the position you want.

1 Like

Lol mrhappy.

4 Likes

Ngl Labour’s Brexit strategy is the clearest of them all I feel.

It’s their policy on Jeffrey Epstein that I most agree with

3 Likes

Free prescriptions :eyes: keep up at the back England!! @Electrifying

2 Likes

Yeah I mean that entire manifesto is basically stuff that’s been put in place up here anyways.

And last I checked, I didn’t live in Caracas.

2 Likes

Truth is we’ve broke and have to borrow consistently just to maintain the standard we have now.
Lib Dems are the closest to telling how it is with a penny on tax to pay for policies.

2 Likes

Every government borrows. Government debt is not the same as our debt.

Also austerity increases debt.

Spending more has been shown by history to actually reduce debt, deficits - you’re investing in your people and your economy, creating a good tax base.

Austerity - kills your tax base, makes people poorer and reliant on government benefits - more spending for no reason but a permanent crutch…

4 Likes

All borrowing has to be paid for therefore we don’t get the same money to use all the taxes we pay in. Just because other governments do it doesn’t make it ok it just means we’ve living beyond our means.

1 Like

basically all governments have done it forever.

The only government that doesn’t is maybe Norway, and that’s because they are sitting on a oil wealth fund of billions.

And governments may ‘have’ to pay, but theres no deadline, and it never affects them borrowing more.

And again, what about the second point? - that austerity makes borrowing and debt worse?

2 Likes

I’ve never heard of a case where austerity has actually worked.

Still, it’s easy to hoodwink people with the household belt tightening analogy, despite it being completely irrelevant.

5 Likes

People still believe in trickle down economics too… people are morons.

3 Likes

Well the more we borrow the more debt we leave for future generations to pay back. Living within our means is not the same as austerity. Politicians over promise and then borrow to try and make up these lies.

2 Likes

Exactly. Let them suckers deal with it. :sunglasses:

Labour majority incoming

3 Likes

Tories campaign so far is targeting labour on…racism…

:arteta:

‘That’s a bold strategy Cotton’

1 Like

Yeah… But depressingly I feel like it’ll work.

Like, Labour gets called out for anti semitism, in large part due to the position on Israel/Palestine. And I get that to some extent, take a strong position on that conflict and you’ll attract bigots/extremists either way. Strongly support Palestine and you’ll attract the anti semites, of course you will, who else are they gonna back? But let’s not act like strongly pro Israel parties or groups don’t attract Islamophobes either, because of course they’re gonna back the team that is ultimately anti Muslim (because that’s the dichotomy we’re living with). It’s literally just how it works. It doesn’t mean your entire movement is institutionally antisemitic/islamophobic (delete as appropriate), what it means is you’re going to find objectionable people who agree with your position on this one issue, because it’s such a massive issue.

I don’t think there’s much more to it than that when people talk about Labour’s antisemitism.

But genuinely, think about Tory attitudes to Jewish people, I find it hard to believe they’re more positive than that of your average left wing/Labour supporter. Remove Israel and Palestine from the convo and I’m pretty sure it’s the right wing who are more inclined to think that Jewish people are greedy, money grabbing deceitful people who secretively control the world, not broadly left wing people who generally make a point of not judging religious or ethnic groups by stereotyped perspectives. (challenge me on his because I’m drunk and maybe being far too bold)

I hear a lot of talk about how Labour is institutionally antisemitic. If Corbyn got kicked out tomorrow then I bet you my mortgage we never hear another word about institutional antisemitism within the Labour Party, because despite what gets said, on this issue the problem clearly begins and ends with Corbyn for lots of people. Once he’s gone it’ll magically cease to be an institutional problem. And we’ll return to antisemitism being the non issue it has been for my entire life until Corbyn won a leadership election. And to be clear, that’s not me saying it doesn’t exist in the UK, its me saying that its only since Corbyn got the big job that anyone wanted to speak about it, which I’ll forever find to be interesting. Please some tell me about a big “antisemitism in Labour” conversation that existed before Corbyn became a prominent figure.

But at the end of the day the hypothetical treatment Labour will supposedly dish out to Jewish people if they get in power is a real concern, but the actual tangible racism of the Tories when they’re in power doesn’t get the same coverage. Go fucking figure. Watch antisemitism be a talking point whereas you will barely hear the word/words “Windrush” at any point in the next month.

2 Likes

The Tory campaign strategy of the last 4 years has basically been you can’t vote for the other lot because they’ll do terrible things and it always seems to work.

I’m going to try and steer clear of all electioneering, definitely avoid all the debates and then just read the manifestos.

1 Like

Yeah man, me too one hundred percent. Totally gonna read the manifestos and then make a decision. No way I’m going into this election already decided on how I vote.

I’m swing as fuck me.

2 Likes