UEFA Champions League

Wasn’t British hooliganism the worst in Europe with loads of events leading upto the Hysell disaster?

Part of me wonders how much of it was to do with English teams winning 6 out of 8 European finals and making 7 out of 8

2 Likes

I thought that, too. Almost like a “we’re sick of this- throw the book at them” sort of stance.

Would you be drastically surprised, though, in the wake of this scandal, if the PL quota is reduced to 3 teams? I wouldn’t.

I even think a PL appeal in the wake of such an event would fall on deaf ears.

I don’t think it works for them financially. 4 PL teams bring UK TV money.

You might be right because we dominated European football then, with Liverpool, Nottingham Forest and Aston Villa winning the European Cup as well as English clubs winning the smaller European trophies.

Even when we didn’t win it, we usually had an English club in the final so it did seem as if the organisers were more than happy to throw the book at us, while there were plenty of other countries with just as bad supporters.

There was plenty of hooliganism in Holland, Italy and Germany as well and Italian and Turkish fans are far worse than the stereotypical English supporter yet they rarely get punished to the extent we did.

I’m not sure the latter is true. Back then we seemed to lead the way and have the worst incidents. I’m not an expert and am willing to stand corrected. Since we’ve policed it better and the cost of going to games has increased the hooliganism has mainly stopped in the top flight. Although you would still get lower league ‘firms’.

I think we had the most amount of incidents and clubs like Man U, West Ham, Leeds etc had such massive support that it sometimes looked worse than it was when there was fighting on the terraces.

I remember a documentary on football violence and although the English clubs had the most there were plenty from Holland and Germany as well as other countries.

We still have hooligan behaviour at international tournaments but not so much at club level, although it’s still there.
But supporters from countries like Turkey, Russia and Italy have an element of hooliganism that is worse but never seems to get punished.

Probably more to do that we exported ours more than they did.
Our reputation was bad but a lot was based with the national side and they were lucky not to be banned along with the clubs at the time.

That’s what I was saying :slightly_smiling_face:

Yes I’d be surprised. There’s a whole system behind how this works and they aren’t going to disregard that because one shower of cunts broke some rules.

2 Likes

Really hope Liverpool don’t win the CL this season, 100 + points unbeaten + winning back to back CL titles would just be a little too much.

I’ve added what I assume the rest of that thought was. :wenger:

6 Likes

I think it’s more of a cry wank for him

2 Likes

Back to back CLs and an unbeaten 100 points, shit I was just getting to terms with the unbearableness of Liverpool fans for winning the league but we’d be hearing about this for a fucking century.

4 Likes

And rightfully so, if we did it I’d talk about it to the day I died also.

It doesn’t seem to matter if it is us or Liverpool for you to talk about it to the day you die.

4 Likes

Hahaha fair point, only difference I wouldn’t talk about it with shades of envy.

Bit if an odd fascination to keep everyone on an Arsenal forum up to date with stats like this though. It’s like you want to be provoked by Arsenal extremes so you can argue how good this Liverpool team are :thinking:

4 Likes

@Aussiegooner does posting Liverpool stats on here make your Kop mates less likely to mug you off or something lol

1 Like

Nah they don’t really mug me anyways, no non arsenal fan really talks about Arsenal anymore, we’re that irrelevant we don’t come up in discussion.

1 Like

Yeah unfortunately when dealing with mine it’s facts now not history.:thinking:

1 Like