UEFA Champions League 2016/17 Group Stage Draw

Just glad we have some different teams. Basel have been giant-killers in CL the last few years, but we should still easily progress in 2nd, maybe even 1st place.

2 Likes

We wouldnā€™t win it.

1 Like

PSG away will be fun ,those of you who went last time will know what I mean . Whoops Apocalypse !

Hey Gladiator, Iā€™ll be out in Sofia for the Ludogorets game and will definitely take you up on that offer (nearer the time), never been to Bulgaria before! Also quite relieved to learn they do switch games from Razgrad to Sofia, else with their capacity of 8,000-odd iā€™d have no effing chance whatsoever of a ticket! :grimacing:

Nice to see youā€™ve made the transition to the new site with us @Robin_L. Forgetting the new site, generally speaking itā€™s good to have you back (even if only briefly) :henry:

1 Like

Bloody heck, today seems to be old school OA members return day. First K1tsun, then Gladiator and now Robin_L appears :open_mouth: Suddenly the place feels just that extra bit more homely. All it took was getting Ludogorets of all teams in the group stages to come out of the woodwork :wilshere:

@AbouCuellar right now

3 Likes

Heh, thanks both. Site looks very different but I bet a lot of work has gone into it, iā€™ll try and stick around. This fella still about too? :cristo:

5 Likes

Christo is here as well. just need Len to bring his old hairy arse over. Welcome back Robin.

Well chuffed with the draw. hopefully we donā€™t take anything for granted and top the group.

@Robin_L te he echado de menos :frowning:

2 Likes

Pretty happy with the draw. I like weā€™ll play PSG at home first, could be a nice start to the group stage if we manage to win that one.

Also, Iā€™m going to Sporting Lissabon v Real Madrid in November, pretty excited about that. Never been to Portugal and never attended a Champions League game before.

Only going for Joel tbh

2 Likes

I am indeed, just busy with dissertation and exams! Been a bit disillusioned with the arsenal this summer but the signings have reignited my fervour.

Same, just wrapped up my degree a few months back. Best of luck for yours

1 Like

We should comfortably qualify from this group and I can even see us finishing above PSG

Cheers pal! Finishing my MSc on the 22nd September. Canā€™t wait to be done with academia.

Now I just have to deal with grad scheme applications which look like they might make me kill myself

Itā€™s all gone 2012 up in here.

Welcome back chaps.

2 Likes

Thanks for the warm welcomes @Mysty and everyone else! Really glad to see you all in a good mood.
I will definitely be at the game in Sofia. Thinking about making the trip to London before that as well, but I am not sure. I tore my Achilles tendon recently (not surprising for an Arsenal fan, eh) and movement is really limited so flying out looks a little bit of a stretch at this stage.

@Robin_L, certainly, hit me up when the time comes, I will be happy to help out. Might grab a beer or five before the game if the cops donā€™t put us on war footing.

The stadium in Sofia is the only one in Bulgaria licensed to host CL group stage matches so they have no choice. Getting tickets will be hard nonetheless, there will be plenty of chaps willing to see the mighty Arsenal even though Ludogorets donā€™t have much of a following. The stadium will be packed with neutrals so donā€™t expect much of an atmosphere.

Any idea what allocation they give to the away sides? Must be sizeable enough given the capacity. So ā€˜LudoRazā€™ (TM me) have won the league 5 times on the bounce but are the other side of the country, do their fans not travel to see them then? Or just that much of a tiny club?

Or is the ticketing system not done right maybe, so neutrals in Sofia just buy them all up with no limitations.

Oh, their fans will be there. All 5k of them, half of them mothers and children. They are a tiny, tiny club. A much tinier version of Man City. Not that I am hating thought, what they are doing is pretty admirable, only the second Bulgarian side to reach CL group stages. But facts are - they have no history and no fan base. Play good football though.

When Liverpool played them two years ago they were allocated 2150 seats. I guess we will get a similar number.

2 Likes

Allocation for PSG is only 1800, fucks sake. :rage:

1 Like

Nevermind, managed to score a ticket. Thought it would be closer run thing than that, especially with it being Paris and not having played them since the early 90s.

5 Likes