Transfer Wishlist

Before this season, City and Liverpool were dominating football without a classic #9.

Personally, I’m very happy with Jesus and think Trossard can very do a job there. If we were to pursue a classic striker it has to be of the right quality. I don’t think just any striker will do. It has to be someone of top class.
I can’t see anyone available right now.
Right now, the best option(by some distance) is probably your boy, and even if he is made available, it will cost us ~150m to even entice ADL.

Out of all of our areas, midfield is by far the biggest issue for me. This is where our focus should be.
I think I’ve discussed with SRCJJ before but for me, the striker matter should be revisited next year. Hopefully by then our midfield will be sorted and the striker market will be a bit healthier.

1 Like

if we think we could have another Jesus/Saka/Martinelli injury free season… and rely on that…
gosh… that is dangerous

I don’t.

Personally, I’m keen for us to add another wide forward, especially if Nelson goes.

I don’t think Trossard is really a winger personally. Doesn’t have the pace or ability to go 1 v 1 like Martinelli and Saka.

Dude is the definition of false 9 for me. That’s where he should be used if needed.

1 Like

But we dont really ask our wingers to be wingers do we
They come central and overload in the middle with the central midfielders and Odegaard.

I’m not sure about that, they’re touchline wingers, I believe Arteta himself has clarified that when Carra interviewed him.

Majority of the time they receive the ball is from wide(near the touchline, hence the name). From there they can sometime invert but you often see them continue on the touchline and look for a cutback/cross.
They also make runs in the box for those crosses/cutbacks.

So, a lot of their often involves them having to carry the ball and usually get past multiple players.
I think currently out of Nelson, Trossard and Nketiah, the first is the best suited for that.

Trossard I feel is much better receiving the ball centrally, usually in and around the box and look for runners.

1 Like

Sorry mate, Id have to disagree

Saka usually receives the ball either inside or looks to come inside immediately.

Martinelli has the capacity to be a winger and beat his man, but doesnt ever really use that as its not in our gameplay.

I know this article is a couple months old now, but it looks like dribbling and beating his man is something Martinelli does quite a lot. Saka too.

1 Like

Maybe, stats can be written anyway you like cant they

In watching them they dont strike me as playing like out and out wingers.
We dont use them in that way.

1 Like

Kinda, I guess, but you can’t put a player in the top five for successful dribbles in the whole league if they don’t ever beat their man, can you?

It clearly is a skill that Martinelli uses quite a lot.

He runs at players, doesn’t necessarily mean he does that from a wide (wingers) position.

Id say he is more likely to do that when coming inside.

I think he does though mate, martinelli slightly more than Saka.

They both cut in a lot (being on the inverted side to their strong foot) but a lot of times martinelli in particular will drive past his man to the byline and then look for the cutback to Jesus/ode.

Saka generally ends up in that space from a 1-2 with Odegaard instead. Saka also often fucks up the cutback tbh, probs with it being on his right peg.

2 Likes

You said he has the capacity to beat his man, but that he doesn’t really use that skill. I think that’s clearly not true.

This is more what I was referring to, we were discussing him being a winger in the classic sense of the role

I get that, and you justified your opinion by saying he doesnt take people on often, when I showed that’s clearly not true you just waved it a way by saying stats can be written to prove anything. You could have just admitted your perception was incorrect as per the facts.

Hmmm, im not going to be dragged into one of those shit online arguments with you mate.
I didnt wave at anyone.

I said I dont see them as traditional wingers, youre trying to prove my thoughts wrong?
Its how I see it, an opinion, just accept it and move on.
Ill accept your opinion that you see them as wingers and be happy fella.

Why are you even here if your answer to any kind of debate is “it’s my opinion, move on?”

1 Like

lol

Im not trying to argue against an opinion, im expressing mine and reading others peoples.

Not really my bag to read someones opinion and then try to prove how wrong they are.

Ok, you’re right, Martinelli does have the skill to beat his man, but he doesn’t do it often. Lets not look at any sort of stats to help decide whether that’s true or not, what would be the point of that?

As I said above, the point of the discussion was more about Martinelli being a classic type of winger for us, not really about him beating men, Ive not denied he does that, as your stat sheet shows he clearly does.
I was talking generally on our game play and for me we dont play we usual wingers that beat men on the outside, that was my original reply to GC I believe

You literally said he doesn’t use that skill, sounds like denying that he does that to me.

:person_shrugging:

Anyway, let’s get back to wishlisting for the upcoming transfer window.