Top 5 south American players excluding Maradona, Messi and Pele

This.
I see many people easily putting Marcelo in the same place as Alves and that couldn’t be more off.
As you sad, Alves, at least as far as I remember now, was never easy to get past one on one. Quick, very aggressive, tight on his opponent…
Marcelo in the other hand, even at his defensive peak, wasn’t near Alves defensively, and I don’t even want to talk about all the years where he was nowhere near the requied level to be a full back in a top team, even an attacking one.

Extremely talented on the ball, but even when talking about attacking production alone, he was never near Alves in that area too.
Comfortably a class beneath Alves.

4 Likes

True only issue I have is alves was a right back and Marcelo left back. For me Marcelo never really came close to Roberto Carlos comparing LB to LB and light years behind ours truly king of all LB Andre Santos :arteta:

1 Like

Roberto Carlos also redefined a position.

1 Like

Thiago Silva belongs in this conversation, probably not as a legitimately top five South American player of recent times, but if we’re discussing guys like Dani Alves, Marcelo, Zanetti, etc then he at least belongs in that company. His highest level was probably a bit below some of the other top CBs of the last 20 years but he has had a remarkably long run at the top of the game. And he has been able to do it in three different major European leagues, playing for teams with very different styles, and during a time period when the tactical and physical requirements for top CBs changed a lot.

1 Like

Has to have Ronaldo, Ronaldinho and Rivaldo, all WC winners.
Then must be Romario and Bebeto (and Roberto Carlos)

I love Zico, Socrates and even Eder but they are just… missing the big trophy.

I would rank Cafu ahead of Alves no matter what.
Can’t have a cheater and fucking diver on any list, except the cheater’s list.

The Real Ronaldo
Roberto Carlos
Ronaldinho
Cafu
Gilberto Silva

1 Like

Ronaldo - A devastating mix of athleticism and pure skill

Ronaldinho - Everything he did with the ball felt inspired

Suarez - Such a well rounded #9. One of the best to ever play that position

Neymar - A modern day Ronaldinho. Arguably efficient but also more frustrating. Great career but still feels like he’s left so much on the table

Aguero/Romario - The numbers don’t lie

1 Like