Tony Adams

Man, he was such a great player but the guy is so clueless nowadays. Chatting shit about our team not being good enough right now on Sky Sports post-match and that Emery can’t do better with this group of players. :man_facepalming:

2 Likes
3 Likes

I’m inclined to agree partly with Adams.

Emery doesn’t teach Bellerin to pass to the opposition. He doesn’t instruct Aubameyang to stray offside. He doesn’t teach players not to head the ball. That’s all on the players and their limited intelligence levels.

What Brendan Rodgers clearly has in his favour is the language issue. Mainly English speaking players. Emery doesn’t have Spanish speaking players.

What got me thinking about Adams during the match today was our English centre back pairing (something we haven’t seen since Keown and Campbell back in 2003). If we can get a manager with a good grasp of the English language in soon, we could be onto something special defensively

1 Like

What’s he doing to correct those things though? If your players are a bit shit at passing under pressure then you need to adapt to a style that calls for less of it. If your striker is offside a lot you need to look at the reasons why and see if the game your playing can be adapted to counter that a bit. Aubas biggest problem is how long we spend pissing about with the ball at the back. He’s constantly looking to make the run but we only try find him maybe one out of ten times he is looking for it. Makes it easy to defend against.

1 Like
4 Likes

I was watching his one2eleven with Merse today. Great show.

I think Adams transcends football now, and even Arsenal. He’s doing more for the sport in the background, with rehabilitation programmes. It seems like Adams the footballer was one life for him, and this is his rebirth.

Probably a good way to go seeing as many players suffer to separate themselves from the game after retirement (a la Greaves)

1 Like

Complete contrast to John Terry were he requested to come off in the 26th minute of his final game :joy:

Wish I was old enough / got into the game young enough to see more of his Arsenal career.

Without a shadow of doubt, the greatest, the best, the most awesome Arsenal player of all time for me…

Best centre half we have ever had, the VERY best captain we have ever have had, and I have always said, if we had had a Tony Adams in his prime in some of the last 10 years, we would have won at least 2 more league titles…

2 Likes

Can’t embed but here’s a glorious tackle on Shevchenko

1 Like

The pass after was also good

1 Like
3 Likes

Arsenals greatest ever player.

2 Likes

100% agree with you DH…Best defender, best centre half, best leader and the most inspirational captain we have ever had…My feckin hero…Love him.

1 Like
3 Likes

Adams Donkey reputation came from that United OG when the Daily mirror super imposed donkey ears on a picture of him next day.
The implosion on that season gets forgotten on that run in before Anfield.
I’m not sure we’d ever have recovered if we lost that title.

3 Likes

Fuck that’s a freak OG that is.