Thierry Henry

I’m curious as to what you’re basing that on. I can’t see any area in which Aguero is clearly superior to Henry, whereas there are a number of areas where Henry is objectively the better player. And the stats all favour Henry too (aside from total goals obviously but that’s because Aguero stayed at City for 10 years whereas Henry was at Arsenal for 8.5).

And agree with @Trion’s assessment that Henry was a way more exciting player to watch.

Just don’t see any metric where Aguero is objectively better.

3 Likes

Any arsenal fan who rates him over the :crown: needs sanctioned by the government

7 Likes

I definitely think you could talk about Thierry Henry as being the very best player in the world at one point in his career. For me, that argument could have been made anytime from 02-04 where I think his absolute peak was.

There’s never been a time in Aguero entire career where you’d stick him in even the best 5-7 players in the world let alone the best.

9 Likes

Off the top of my head, headers

(See what I did there :wink:)

Aguero is in the equation definitely. Without injuries he’s breaking all the records.
So strong on his feet and great balance. Such a strong finisher and also a good poacher.

1 Like

Absolutely.

Top, top striker. I love the way he just quietly gets on with banging in the goals in spite of fans fawning over the likes of Hazard when Chelsea won the league, for example.

Big game player, too. A number of strikers aren’t.

2 Likes

Quite a big caveat there

3 Likes

Henry was the superior player, Aguero was good if a tad hyped !!

I’ve seen this goal many times, but today is the first time I noticed the slide tackle by the QPR defender…

…Aguero not only stays on his feet, but he doesn’t miss a step

agueroooooooooo

aguerooooooooo

4 Likes

dat Argentinian low centre of gravity and balance man, Messi, Maradona etc. they’re like those concrete road (jersey?) barriers all of them.

7 Likes

For me Aguero is the one that got away more than any other player of that era. Young (23 I think?) and already carrying a good goalscoring record in a good league. £36m release clause and £200k a week (might have taken less at a non new-money club) at a point where we were cash rich. We sold Adebayor for £25m before that for facks sake :expressionless: We had big players leaving and were desperate for at least one move of significance but I don’t think we even tried.

5 Likes

It’s why I don’t even consider him one that got away, you can add players like Suarez at Ajax for 22m Euros, Kante, Mahrez etc but we were so fucking celibate in the market during that period there’s just no world in which we land them. Wenger was absolutely loathed to spend money as it was a matter of ego, pride and self preservation. We talk and talk about the ones that got away, the famous names we all know but the reality is we just didn’t even want to try.

That frugality is the single most policy which defined our current downward trajectory and it’s why I have a hard time forgiving Wenger for all the needless misery.

4 Likes

Wenger made this club for you to even experience this misery, be grateful bitch.

Wenger’s the one who brought Arteta to the club

Arteta actually took a pay cut to come here, which is shocking, we should have paid a little more and had Arteta at the club a couple of years earlier. Mikel was a killer for us in that deep CDM role and hugely underrated, but age was not on his side.

Following on from @SRCJJ post in another thread about fast players with the ball at their feet, what a glorious sight Henry was in his prime.

2 Likes

Twitter nerds

Tbh can only really think of R9 when I think of attackers who were quicker with the ball at their feet.

R9 is the most polished and rounded example in the history of football in my eyes. Henry was basically a lesser but still phenomenally great version of R9

Drogba & Hazard?

What?