Thierry Henry

It applied to his post-playing career :sweat_smile:

Notice heā€™s stopped taking shots at Arteta now weā€™re in good form. The guy is phony with his own agenda, said nothing positive since the rat

The commentator came prepared that day

4 Likes
4 Likes
5 Likes
3 Likes

:crown:

4 Likes

If we want to tempt the best players back to Arsenal, we need a player with Henryā€™s quality but also personality.

Why does Vlahovic want to come to Arsenal other than for money? We need to have appeal in the squad as well as the competitions we play in.

Iā€™d give my left nut for a player like Henry now. A prime Henry would instantly elevate us into title challengers. Who wouldnā€™t want to be in the same team as Thierry? Weā€™d be able to attract basically anybody because they know a team with Henry in it will be relevant.

I pine so badly for those glory days.

7 Likes

I think we missed a trick after Ozil and then Sanchez. We had enough there to entice other world class players (or those on the precipice of being elite) to come over.

Weā€™ll probably moan that it was money that didnā€™t allow us to strengthen (which is probably only partly true)

4 Likes

We have no players of that standard right now.

Maybe Saka gets there? Maybe Ƙdegaard or another one of the kids? It will be at least 2 seasons before they even get close to that level.

Partey is our only big name player, and quite frankly, thatā€™s a damning indictment of where we currently are. This squad is right at the beginning of a cycle tbf, but where is the appeal for prospective signings?

We either need to develop a superstar or buy one. Either way, we bloody well need one and soon before the squad is broken up because weā€™ve finished 6th-8th again.

1 Like

Itā€™s not even that weā€™re now irrelevant, I can deal with that, but the football we play is just so fucking boring and shit, thatā€™s what kills me, we had an identity just like Barcelona for playing some of the best looking football in the world, we absolutely donā€™t have that any more, neither do I see it changing under Arteta.

1 Like

By that logic look at United, who have many superstars on superstar wages, as a team theyā€™re genuinely no better off than us.

Weā€™re not United. Their situation is unique to them. Unbalanced ageing squad, no coordinated transfer strategy, toxic from top to bottom. Theyā€™ve got one more rapist than us as well. Itā€™s almost intangible whatā€™s wrong with them - a whole host of factors that add up to them being an underperforming, unimpressive pile of shite.

I think with an Henry level player in our squad, we are transformed. There is a definite trajectory and plan with regards to the squad building. The players are young and hungry. Thereā€™s camaraderie, thereā€™s unity. What we lack is a talisman, a fear factor player. Iā€™m not even sure who that could be, but a statement forward signing that everybody collectively looks at thinks ā€œfuck me, wish weā€™d bought himā€. Or if we canā€™t buy one, then develop a player of that standard.

Iā€™ve always banged on about fear factor. I think itā€™s a critical aspect of a successful dynasty. Liverpool and City have it in spades right now, and theyā€™re probably the 2 best teams in Europe. Fear factor is built from having dangerous, scary players who are established - we have zero players of that ilk.

2 Likes

Youā€™re opening paragraph literally described our squad about 18 months ago. And Iā€™d personally say they have two more rapists than us.

I donā€™t necessarily disagree with your overall point, it ties into what Strolls says - if we donā€™t start adding elite quality the young stars will leave for greener pastures. I just donā€™t think we have to discredit the work we have done to overhaul this squad.

Sure everyone would love an Henry but Henry wasnā€™t the Henry when we signed him and if youā€™re signing a player like prime Henry youā€™re looking at 400k a week wages. Hell even shit Henry in Isak costs 90 million.

Itā€™s a slippery slope but I wouldnā€™t be adverse to taking the risk. Its why Iā€™m in favour of a marquee signing like Gnabry, Benzema, Sterling etc, really anyone world class who will come here.

Itā€™s far from simple though and not something Iā€™m going to crucify Edu or Arteta over because Iā€™d hate to see our squad fall back into that bloated state with high wages for players who donā€™t even care for the club.

Ideally who would you want to bring in to take the side up a level in summer?

2 Likes

Iā€™d love a player like Jonathan David as our marquee signing this summer as he looks legit.

Not sure who else weā€™d be able to get that can make an impact for us.

DCL and David would actually be sick tbh, but weā€™d still need a couple great midfield signings as well.

I like DCL but Iā€™m not entirely sure Iā€™d consider him or David as marquee. Feels like pretty standard business for a club of our quality. I do agree theyā€™d be solid acquisitions just donā€™t think Iā€™d be breaking out the whiskey to celebrate

1 Like

But what strikers are there out there that would be a statement signing for us?

Harland, Mbappe and Vlahovic obviously arenā€™t realistic. Neither are old boys Benzema and Lewandowski.

Iā€™m sure thereā€™s some unscouted super-signing at Donetsk or Dinamo Zagreb but that would hardly be a marquee signing either.

I think the best we can striker wise is probably a DCL + David combo and then focus on an excellent couple of midfielders and integrating Saliba back into the squad etc.

1 Like

AC Milan signed a guy called Lazetic whoā€™s supposed to have similar qualities to Vlahovic and heā€™s only 18.

I want us to make some of those signings but I also want us to pump money into proven talents. Iā€™d be happy if we signed someone who could do a Firmino job for us so long as we had players on the flanks who can contribute 15-20 goals a season in the league.

The striker market isnā€™t great at the moment and outside of Haaland and Vlahovic youā€™re pretty much gambling on anyone you sign. Iā€™d be happy if we brought in a good striker and supplemented that good striker with even better wide men.

If we sign a central midfielder, strengthen the wings and bring in a good quality striker than we are a very good squad.

2 Likes

Add RB back-up and I agree wholeheartedly

I think I asked this some time ago as a quality strikers are thin on the ground, Iā€™d like Osimhen from Napoli only because Iā€™ve seen quite a bit of him this season.