Thierry Henry

That 2003 summer window was just bloody bleak for us Gooners.

United looked like they were strengthening with Ronaldinho. Vieira linked with Madrid for the 3rd summer in a row, and also being linked with Chelsea. Henry being linked with Chelsea. I think we even lost out on some targets we were linked with (e.g Kewell). Lost Gio and Seaman, too.

I didn’t think we’d mount a title challenge. How wrong I was.

3 Likes

Beckham was absolutely elite around that time mate. Even if he wasn’t the level Dinho went onto be. United turned to shit for a few years after losing him too

1 Like

Definitely.

Going into our game v ManUre at The Swamp in November 2003, Beckham was out with injury. I thought “we’re annihilating them”. In fact, it was such a big loss for them that the Sky Sports cameras just kept panning over to Becks during the game.

We lost, obviously, going into the game as favourites :expressionless: Veron and Scholes giving them a 2-0 win. Henry could have made it 0-1 early doors but had a tame effort straight at Barthez. It’s also the game where the niggly relationship between van Horseface and Keown started

3 Likes

I think Fergie might have fucked up the Ronaldinho transfer if it happened. Probably drops Giggs and get Ronnie running up and down the left wing, which I don’t think he’d have been that up for

Wouldn’t we have got 30m for Vieira back then though? Huge money at the time

Kewell was shit hot a Leeds but turned out to be just shit at Liverpool. We could of got him if we wanted him.

1 Like

Henry and Vieira being linked to Chelsea??
:arteta:

Wtf were they smoking on there? :arteta:

Tbf, I didn’t have too much information regarding the transfer speculations at that time, knew only about Vieira and Real, and never considered the situation to be that grim. We were the best team in the league no reason to worry really. We just massively underachieved in 2002/03.

About that summer, I still remember the bewilderment seeing Kolo Toure starting as a CB in a friendly against Celtic… I thought Wenger can’t be serious, it’s only a one game experiment… Kolo played as a winger and all over the pitch a season before… Absolutely zero experience as a CB before that season. Still I think it was way too optimistic of Wenger to put that much trust in Kolo at that time, he became a really good CB couple of years later, but way too chaotic at that time. People praise Wenger for that move nowadays, but we became the Invincibles in spite of Kolo in the team, not because of him.

2 Likes

I remember the season he left. The big speculation was Fergie wanted to shift Giggs who was underperforming and Giggs came out and said he thought it was a possibility afterwards.

Because he achieved so much over 2 decades people don’t talk about it now but he did fuck up selling Becks. United fans at the time wanted him sacked.

1 Like

Yep. Remember that game very vividly… Had a bet with my brother, being absolutely certain we would win… Feeling embarassed after the game…

Yeah, that Henry one on one and passing the ball to Bartez. Tbf it wasn’t a rarity seeing Henry reacing in such a way in those situations.

And also that brilliant Pires half lob effort. What a goal that would have been. :bergkamp2:

2:00

1 Like

The 2-2 draw late in the season at Highbury stung with Sol getting sent off, we really needed the win that night. Think Henry got a brace from memory ( one was offside) horse face and Giggs for them.

1 Like

Yep, Henry’s first was weird to be credited to him, too. Cole did all the hard work and it deflected off Henry.

It was disappointing to concede to the sister-in-law shagger only a minute after we’d gone ahead

1 Like

Man that 02/03 missed opportunity does my head in.

Blackburn doing the double over us.

Liverpool stoppage equaliser at Anfield with Heskey.

United drawing the 2-2 just discussed.

Viduka at Kewell 2-3 win at Highbury to finish off us before our 49 game run.

4 Likes

The Bolton game…

Had a comfortable 2:0 lead at HT… Two nice goals by Wiltord and Pires. Then later Keown scores an unlucky own goal after a free kick… Can’t remeber the equalizer but it was definitely a huge blow to lose two points in that manner.

I think that day we had to sub two goalkeepers? Seaman got injured, and then Wright and Shabaan… Maybe I mixed something…

3 Likes
2 Likes

Yeah went behind then Ramsey and Henry scored I think, all 3 goals came late.

2 Likes

Isn’t this the same game where Mertesacker got injured in posession and Sunderland went onto to score from the same situation?
Deserve to rot in league one for that scummy move alone.

4 Likes

Video of the goal

5 Likes

I know Ljungberg got injured that game due to the typical rough shithousery that Bolton are accustomed to.

Couple that to Campbell’s suspension and that run in was doomed for us.

(Incidentally, Man United went to WHL the next day and they lay down and died for them. If you ever feel the need to, compare our game at WHL to the one when Man United went there that season. Day and night performances. Unprofessional)

1 Like

Sadly, I dont think that was his final game for the club. I have a feeling it was in the 4-0 paddling we got away to Milan in the Champions League

1 Like

This also came in the post today. I’d say this is my favourite ever arsenal goal so was super happy to see this picture on Etsy the commentary is iconic aswell :heart_eyes::fire:

Not my picture btw thats the one on etsy

5 Likes

Do they do one for the goal against Liverpool at Anfield in the cup when he absolutely roasted Carragher?

3 Likes

Great choice, that one, cesc running through the entire spurs team or ARSHAVIINNNNN

2 Likes