Thierry Henry

I think you’re exactly correct. Cantona at number 3 is a shambles.

This is a travesty!!!

Really don’t get the fuss about Cantona.

And always will.

Cantona moved to Leeds won the league, old First Division I think, which I think should count, although technically it might not. Threw a hissy fit, gets sold to Man United. It’s looking like Norwich will win the league as they’re leading the league. Cantona comes transforms United and they win the league. They then win 4 out of 5 of the leagues and 2 doubles with him in no small part down to Cantona’s creative influence. And the season they didn’t win? He was banned for much of due to kung fu kicking an upstart fan. Oh and 1 of the doubles he scored a last minute winner against Liverpool.

70 goals (including about 20 penalties) and 56 assists in 150 appearances for Cantona. In 92/93 he got 15 goals and 16 assists. In 93/94 18 goals and 12 assists. Cantona won 2 players of the year (one writers and one players), in seperate seasons

87 goals (only about 5 pens) and 94 assists in 315 appearances for Bergkamp. Bergys best season was 16 and 11 assists and he wasn’t as consistent season on season as Cantona. In that season Bergy won both writers and players player of the year.

2 Likes

It seems a bit much to give a title to a player who had only participated in 15 matches out of 42. Not to say that he didn’t have an instrumental role.

I forgot about that being mid way through the league. He definitely added an extra dimension to Leeds. Before he moved to Leeds he won a league title with Marseille, got banned for fighting with fans and opposition players so was loaned out to Montpellier, and was instrumental in winning the French Cup with them, came back and won another title with Marseille.

Then In December 1991, during a match for Nîmes, he threw the ball at the referee, having been angered by one of his decisions. He was summoned to a disciplinary hearing by the French Football Federation, and was banned for one month. Cantona responded by walking up to each member of the hearing committee in turn and calling him an “idiot”. His ban was increased to two months, and Cantona subsequently announced his retirement from football on 16 December 1991.

Legend

If Bernard Tapie didn’t bribe teams for those titles.

The final piece of the jigsaw that delivered United and Fergie to domination. Embraced the challenge of taking united to the top, in a way many couldnt. True legend for me.

1 Like
3 Likes

Yellow :joy:

3 Likes

I know right lol

I remember that game and taking a sharp intake of breath when he did that :joy:

I’m still bewildered as to how Wiltord scored with his shin and managed to loop it over the goalie for the only goal of the game.

The build-up was all about Ginola at Everton :roll_eyes:

1 Like

You can’t send off the king. Ya mad

3 Likes

He couldn’t dribble past him (a collector’s item) and he was so angry he jumped to tackle him Bruce Lee style…
We’ll probably never see that kind of passion in Arsenal shirt.

You have to say Weir took that exceptionally well.

4 Likes

If that was Madrid or the Fergie’s Utd they would be all over the ref.
Everton are a bunch of good guys, very good guys as Ze Mourinho likes to say.

I remember that even at the time I was like, how the fuck is that a yellow :joy:

He launched off and actually took flight, the absolute madman

3 Likes

Lol love that challenge from the workhorse himself. No fucking way is that a yellow :rofl:

Got to love the Skyrim soundtrack in the background :sweat_smile::joy:

1 Like