Thierry Henry

They’ve never been an issue for me. I watch plenty of Twitter videos on here.

:man_shrugging:

Never had issues before, but been this way for maybe a month now?

1 Like

embedding isn’t the same on discourse haha.

Only thing to miss about the old OA

I don’t even get the fail box, I just get ghosted :pires2: :

4 Likes

Oddly I do get this sometimes, only on desktop. But after a refresh it seems to work.

So yeah, definitely seems something broken about it, happens for several users on various browsers and devices.

I’ll look into it… Lazily wait for Discourse to come up with a fix in their next update

1 Like

Popped up randomly on my feed. Really like this goal and his reaction.

7 Likes

Such a cocky bastard sometimes, wasn’t he? Absolutely love it. Surely when you’re that good it must be hard to not occasionally show your disdain for mere mortals like referees and Danny Mills.

5 Likes
2 Likes

There’s at least 10 minutes (haven’t watched all 36 minutes yet) of Henry taking the piss out of the opposition. I mean who starts busting out kick-ups when playing 11-aside?

1 Like

The Athletic have announced The :crown: as The Greatest ever Premier League player

4 Likes

Just imagine, there’s people on this board that rate Ian Wright higher than the King lol

2 Likes

Was Ronaldo no 2? Or did they go full Brexit and put Alan Shearer?

1 Like

Had to post this great extract. What a man :heart_eyes:

Henry’s ruminations led to a unique approach to the centre-forward role. He was the most relentless goalscorer in Arsenal’s history, yet entirely atypical, seeming to spend more time dropping out to the left wing than sniffing around the penalty box. “I remember at the beginning when I arrived at Arsenal, people were like, ‘He’s never in the box, how can he score goals?’” says Henry. “You know, ‘Stay in the box’ — that was the myth — ‘Stay in the box. If not, you cannot score goals’. Now, wingers score as many goals as the guy inside.

“But I wasn’t a box player. I wasn’t great with my head. I could hold the ball up but I wasn’t a box player, so why am I going to stay in a position where you’re going to see my weakness? I’m going to have to bring you on my field, right? And I knew being in the middle didn’t bother me but making that run out on the wing was bringing you back to my ‘garden’ because I used to be a winger, more often on the left.

“If you don’t want to come to my garden, that’s on you — I’ll be alone. If you want to come to my garden, it’s also on you, because now we’re one-v-one. Either way, I win.

“In my mind, I’m in my garden either way. Whether you come with me or not, I’m going to have the barbecue. You’re in my house now.”

5 Likes

This is incredible hahaha

1 Like

Fuckin hell the last line is superb.

1 Like

#4 was Giggs, #5 was Ronaldo

1 Like

Shearer was a great player, but number 2 ? Nah and fucking Eric fucking Cantona??? What???

Always get puzzled that Lampard is never in the top 5’s he had an incredible career

1 Like

Willing to have older heads tell me I’m wrong, I was born in 1990 after all, but people can fuck off with putting Cantona that high up in all time PL rankings, I feel like he gets overrated. I’ll stop asking you to tell me where players placed, but one more please, Bergkamp?

Rest of the top 10

#6 Lampard
#7 Roy Keane
#8 Gerrard
#9 Rooney
#10 Agüero

Bergkamp came in at #15 @JakeyBoy

2 Likes

Going to post a few more extracts as its fucking brilliant tbh

He learned to harness his anger, to channel the adrenaline into performance. “Sometimes I was there dreaming and someone kicked me and then that’s it, I’m on,” says Henry. “That’s me, I react quicker to that. Sometimes I said to the guys in a joking way, because you talk trash on the pitch sometimes, ‘You shouldn’t have kicked me, man. You shouldn’t have kicked me because I wasn’t in the game and you just woke me up. Thank you’.”

Henry the serial winner has found his theme again. “And like Michael Jordan said, ‘You don’t want to come on the ride? Go home’. The Arsenal shirt was too heavy? Don’t wear it. That was my view. That’s it. And only fans should wear an Arsenal shirt. If you’re a player and it’s too heavy for you, don’t wear it.

“That shirt is too precious just to wear it for a jog in the park. That’s what I understood from the old guard. That’s what I was trying to pass on, because it’s a special club: special shirt, special atmosphere, special stadium, special everything it was for me. The least I could do for everybody in the stands is to show composure at times, show desire, show commitment, and I was always trying to bring everyone with me on that level.

When you set the bar so high, meeting those lofty expectations could quickly become a burden. “For me, it was my mission,” says Henry. “The Arsenal fans were waiting for me to perform every three days. I can’t let them down. And I did — so many times, by the way. I did let the Arsenal fans down so many times, but not on purpose.

“But my duty was to make sure that I was going to be ready; to make sure that I can’t let them down. I never used to go out, I never used to drink, you know? People would say, ‘Thierry, let’s go (out)’. ‘No, no, no: I have a game on Tuesday, I need to perform. No, no, no, I can’t let myself down, let the team down, let the staff down, let down the people who work at the club. The fans… I can’t’. You guys, the Arsenal fans, were going to Highbury expecting me to perform.

“So how can I go on the field and be like, ‘Oh, I had two hours sleep. I partied last night’. Well, you’d never know, but I’d know. I have to be honest. Yes, sometimes I was shite but it was because I was shite, it wasn’t because of lack of preparation. I wanted to make sure that I was always going to try to perform.

7 Likes