Thierry Henry

Drogba is up there with the most overrated strikers in PL history. His goalscoring record for an “elite” striker was poor.

Only twice managed to reach 20 goals in the league for Chelsea and ended 7 of his 9 seasons with Chelsea with 12 goals or less in the league.

6 Likes

But he always scored in their finals and big games.

He’d have scored in 2006 against Barcelona :crazy_face:

1 Like

Ive never thought he stood out in good French squads to anywhere near the level of his club form.

I don’t remember him bottling it with one of the best goals against Man U, and the winner against spurs, where he started a run in his own half, beat about five of their players to score one of the greatest goals in possibly the best derby match ever.

Who is this clown of a writer?
He says Henry is the most overrated striker in history.

I suppose he is right.
Apart from being one of the PL top scorer, Arsenal record holder for the most goals and assists, as well as scoring some of the most spectacular goals ever seen in the PL and being part of one of the greatest sides ever in the PL and footballer of the year… what has Henry ever done?

Henry was a little bit of a bottler in semi finals and finals though, painful as it is to admit it. For a man of his outrageous talent he should have produced far more in those matches.

No doubt that this guy is way off the mark with the thread though in terms of the overall conclusion drawn. It’s one-eyed and designed to wind people up, so don’t rise to it

2 Likes

Just imagining one for Bergkamp.

• Scared of flying.
  • Bottled taking penalties after 1999 miss.
  • Newcastle goal was lucky. He said it himself. No skill pure luck.
  • Got carried to titles by Henry, Vieira, Pires and Ljungberg.
  • Never scored in a final the bottler.
  • Balding Fraud.

This is just an example of how easy it is to make one of these. I’m legit getting mad at myself for writing this blasphemy.

I’m so sorry Dennis :cry:

3 Likes

Terrible goalscoring record for a striker too

2 Likes

I know you’re not serious, But Bergkamp was never a striker, bruvv.

What was he then…a midfielder?

Number 10, support striker, forward. Bergkamp played his whole career behind/next actual strikers; Pettersson, Kluivert, Wright, Henry.

You’re not wrong that he was a number 10, but around the time Bergkamp played, the number 10 was seen as a striker even if not an outright one. Del Piero, Zola, Gundjohnson and Cantona are all in that mold.

These days those players might be considered midfielders like an Ozil, Eriksen or a Sigurdsson.

You forgot never scored more than 16 goals in a top league…(wasn’t really a striker though)

Trust me, I didn’t forget lol. I just didn’t want to write more blasphemy.

In space of 2 posts

I don’t consider support strikers/forwards (which also entails wingers) as actual strikers.

2 Likes

Second Striker/ Shadow Striker. To use football game terminology. :kos2:

Shut your whore mouth!

2 Likes

If only only scored that chance in the CL final, we’d have won the European cup and none of this would even be talked about :cry:.

1 Like

Cantona gets ridiculously underrated now too. Maybe it’s the age demographics but even on Redcafe they don’t realise he was the key component to them winning their first few league titles in decades. He was arguably more important than Fergie who didn’t win a league title before picking up Oh Ah.

Zola looked majestic in his slick mazey dribbles but wasn’t the creator that Bergy or Cantona was.

Del Piero of the 90s I believe switched between the 9 and 10 roles more than the above 3 players imo. But as he lost his pace dropped into the role of more of a creator.

Then there’s Baggio, pretty much cast aside by both Juve and Milan. We probably could have picked the divine pony tail up after he left Milan and went to Bologna if we wanted

Italy was shipping out it’s world class number 10s on mass. Bergy, Baggio, Zola, Asprilla and to a lesser extent Di Canio, who is probably responsible for West Ham thinking they have a history or playing good football.

3 Likes

I distinctly remember Henry addressing that chance after the game. He said his legs had nothing left by that point to generate any power. I thought he gave absolutely everything in that final and perhaps even exerted too much too soon. The chance was not an easy one by any means. He had one in the opening minutes of the match that looked a bigger opportunity imo.

The biggest if for me is if the ref never disallowed Barca’s goal and only administered a yellow card for Lehmann, how would the game have gone I wonder.

We only have ourselves to blame for never reaching there again given the positions we’ve gotten into over the years and the opportunities we’ve had.

3 Likes