The Wire

I’d honestly say persevere through the first half of season 1 and you’ll enjoy one of the best television shows ever. Walton Goggins and Olyphant have fantastic on screen chemistry and some of their exchanges are amazing.

The script writing, character development and pacing of the story is amazing. It’s comfortably the most overlooked and under watched television series ever.

2 Likes

Speaking of Timmy Elephant, you watched Deadwood?

Where can it be streamed in the UK? Hopefully not Disney. I’ll get on it during the World Cup.

1 Like

Nope any good?

I watched it on Amazon Prime it memory serves me right. All series.

Honestly if people persevere through the first half of season one it becomes a genuinely excellent show.

1 Like

Very good, it’s right up there with other :goat: shows by HBO. Ian McShane is beyond amazing in the lead role.

Just had a look at the cast list some recognisable names in there. Will definitely put that on today as need a new series. Mrs has gone to South Africa for 9 days so I need to maximise this time lol.

What streaming platform will I find it on?

1 Like

You may have luck on Amazon Prime, otherwise it’ll be on Now TV/Sky

1 Like

The Shield and Justified I think were recommended by @SRCJJ and @Castiel and they are indeed both really, really good series.

Need to rewatch The Wire again. I have 3 months of NowTv (which was mainly for the new GoT) but they have The Wire. I can’t remember if I watched it all.

2 Likes

Walton Goggins steals the show in both in my eyes. Just an incredible actor.

1 Like

Shane and his wife’s storyline in the latter seasons of The Shirld really elevated that show to new heights. Made me realise what a good actor he was, until then it seemed like just a good performance in a not hugely memorable role imo. He’d be the main reason I return to Justified.

2 Likes

He’s the absolute star of Justified. His character development is some of the best I’ve ever seen on a TV show.

I remember reading he wasn’t cast in a leading role but his performance in season one of justified was so strong that the trade off was a leading role.

Glorious actor.

That’s only because Shane essentially killed his best friend in the troop in Lem. Lem was their compass the only one with morals and a righteous soul. Shane killed his best friend for Daddy Vic and thought he would be rewarded. Instead Vic went berserker on him because he killed a favoured son. The entire thing was biblical, paradoxical. Better than the Wire.

I’m going to disappear for another 6 months

@YJYUX carry on our belief that The Shield is better than The Wire. You can see how the filthy casuals scramble when they realise Walton was in the show and now is essentially Tarentino’s 2nd or 3rd on speed dial. What does The Wire have? Idris, that dude with the fucked up face and the guy my mum loves from The Affair. Weak.

1 Like

7 Likes

I’d give you eight fucking paragraphs on how full of shit you are if I weren’t so pleased to see you posting.

6 Likes

Obviously it would be clowns talking about the shield in the wire thread that did this

4 Likes

Curios to see a lot of shows “similar” to The Wire being discussed… Has anyone seen The Deuce? Same creators of The Wire and honestly (Im on episode 6 of 8 of the final season) I don’t know which series I like the most. It’s been brilliant and quite a few references to The Wire which makes it even better.

“The fuck did I do?” :man_shrugging:

Fully recommended!

Nah dude the Deuce is nowhere near. I’ve seen all of the Deuce and it’s vastly inferior.

If you’re looking for acting, there are better series than The Deuce available on Sky Atlantic.

The Affair, True Detective and even City on a Hill come to mind as being better than The Deuce.

Was gutted The Wire isn’t currently on Netflix or prime, was off sick last week and wanted to binge a season or two. Preferably season 2 , that season balls out. Along with 4.

1 Like

I watched the first season of True Detective and absolutely loved it. Didn’t follow other season though.

Will take a look at your others suggestions :+1:

2 Likes