The Wire

Lesser series would have made Stringer outwit Clay Davis, because he is a main character, but this series did the unexpected, realistic, right thing by having Stringer get done.

Avon had it right:

Yep, Slim Charles was the Mikel Arteta of the Wire underworld. Well respected and can put a shift in now and then.

2 Likes

I could easily give about ten different answers as to who my favourite character is based on my particular mood at the time.

But right now I wanna give some love to Bodie. Fucking balls on that kid, in the end he was totally uncompromising and refused to fall in line because he didn’t agree with the unparalleled and unnecessary brutality of Marlo and his crew. Absolutely love him successfully beating the Hamsterdam case by claiming “contrapment” by the police too.

Definitely top ten for me and in the end that shit broke my heart.

Carcetti was a great character too. Not one that I love at all, but he’s a great characterisation of that kind of liberal, white, Democrat who is either totally full of shit or is sincere at first but chooses the path of bullshit when push comes to shove. Agree with those mentioning Norman too, loved him in House of Cards too.

Nowhere near my favourite character, but also really enjoyed Cheese when he was on screen. Horrible snake cunt but always find him to be pretty charasmatic. I saw an interview where he was saying that loads of other people (seemed to imply rappers IIRC) were asking him how come he got offered a part on the show, he was basically like “cos I turned up to a fucking audition bruh” haha

M-e-t-h-o-d, MAAAN

3 Likes

If only he begged to the Governor to bail out the schools in S4 :santi:

1 Like

:raising_hand_man:

Was this gif not about when Bunny went to Wee-Bey to ask for adoption of Namond? So I meant change your mind, like Wee-Bey does, to allow Namond to be adopted.

Also, shoutout to Namond Brice, some more great character development. His last line, ‘Mr Colvin, you know the mayor too?’ :arteta: :giroud2:

1 Like

No, definitely isn’t that scene. He’s eating fries here, I think that’s the scene where the police have him on a murder rap and they hook him up with a sick munch in exchange for naming his other victims (though mainly cos any murders not admitted to with invalidate his deal at a later date). I think the nah is when he basically tells them to fuck off when the ask him to snitch on Avon and Stringer.

2 Likes

Ah I see, this is earlier when McNulty offers him the burger right?

Nah, McNulty isn’t in this scene. It’s Bunk, a female prosecutor/DA (I can’t remember)

Just take the L and move on mate :joy: You’ve only watched it through once, you get a pass

1 Like

I’ve taken the L, just asking for more info about the GOAT series.

A YouTube vid will do nicely.

Just google “wee bey nah” and watch the suggested YouTube video.

Marlo and Michael are the biggest c’nts

1 Like

Haha open goal.

This scene makes me hungry

Also here’s the audition tapes, with Method man’s but that you talk about :arteta:

Rewatching The Wire for the third or fourth time now.

It’s got so much replay value I rewatch it every couple years and never get bored.

Season 2, as much as I hated it at the first viewing, is so much better the older I get.

4 Likes

Yeah this is me. I think I’ve done 4.

I actually look forward to the next time I get to watch it more than I ever do for watching something new.

I’m a bit disappointed that I’m so close to my last watch. Need at least 18 months for my weak brain to forget basically everything.

It’s a bit cliché but I think it’s been better with every watch.

4 Likes

Cutty scenes

This is another great scene:

1 Like

Is there a better scene than this?

2 Likes

Hate Marlo.

Avon >> Marlo.

And also Omar >> Omar wannabe Michael

1 Like

So true. Season 2 the first time I watched it was so hard to get through, I didn’t have a fuck to give about these On the Waterfront wannabee cunts with their shit penis jokes, but each time I watched it again I found the resolution of that season more and more powerful.

Only gripe I have with that season is why can’t they fucking cast actual greeks to play greeks (or foreigners to play foreigners, because whatever they are meant to be, they’re not meant to be yanks), FFS. This is a gripe about television and film in general (most flagrant example being the Brasilian playing Pablo Escobar, lol, refuse to watch that shite), but it sucks, especially in a series as realist and genuine as The Wire, to watch those fucks who are really just yanks talking with stupid accents, and have it break through your suspension of disbelief.

I went through a period in my mid 20s where I basically just alternated between The Sopranos and The Wire for a few years. By the time I had gone through The Sopranos again my brain had forgot enough to watch The Wire again, and vice versa. It’s so hard to go watch any other series after watching those two, it makes most other television pretty redundant.

Look back pretty fondly on those times actually, haha. It’s nice to break out and discover other stuff but in the end there’s still nothing that’s come close to being in the same category.

1 Like

I’ve not rewatched the Wire yet. I’ve rewatched the Thick of It, many a time, and never got bored of it.

I have to do the same with the Wire. The best drama ever made (sorry Walter White)

1 Like