The What Might Have Been XI?

Bennacer, Eze, Jeff, Gnabry etc

Wilshere qualifies due to injuries?

Who’s the Dutch striker we had on our books currently doing well elsewhere?

Klopps the manager.

3 Likes

Andy Cole, Donyell Malen, Diaby are 3 off head

3 Likes

I don’t have an XI, but the biggest what-if players are these three: Eduardo, Rosicky, Wilshere. With players who came here at age 16 it just really hard to put them as a what if. Chances of them not making it are just a lot higher than them making it.

Diarra

Rocky😪

4-1-4-1

Szczesny
Bellerin (I know)
Galli
Vermaelen
Tierney (future what might have been - sorry LB is hard)
Flamini (2008)
Hleb (2008)
Diaby
Wilshere
Rosicky
Eduardo

1 Like

Didn’t we nearly sign Ronaldo before Ferguson came in and offered more money?

That’s true, but I’m thinking more of the players that we actually had on our books at one point rather than those we missed out on signing as we could do stacked team of those :joy::sob:

1 Like

I had high hopes and was very excited when we signed Julio ‘The Beast’ Baptista. Such a let down, bar that Anfield masterclass.

Will make my XI later.

4 Likes

Pennant was the teenage sensation who didn’t quite make it

David Bentley, Frimpong, Denilson, Aliadiere, JET

2 Likes

If we had got Luis Suarez…

2 Likes

I was against him coming here, because I thought he was a cunt and a little bit overrated. But in hindsight was the perfect addition to Giroud and Cazorla…

3 Likes

If we’d genuinely tried. . .Alonso on the other hand.

Yeah I mean whichever way really. Had we got him I always feel an element of what if.

He was that good at Liverpool he almost single handedly won them the league in the 13-14 season. If he had that impact on our team at the same time we certainly couldn’t have been far off something imo.

Basically sums up what was wrong with Arsenal from 2008 - 2017, no? Identify the player you really need, but not bold enough to really make the push, get offered and buy a player who is great, but the only type there is no need for in the starting eleven, fuck up the team building process.

2 Likes

Szczesny
Bellerin Bartley Song Vermaelen
Pennant Diaby Y.Toure Gnabry
Ibrahimovic Vela

Giving myself Ibra and Toure since they made it to the training ground, rather than them just being among the many players we happened to not sign.

It’s hard to quantify what makes this list, but I thought the rest were definitely going to be legit players, and I still think they were all capable of more than we ended up seeing from them in an Arsenal shirt.

1 Like

True that, there’s a real lack of definitions in this thread.

1 Like