Unpopular football opinions

Today’s fullbacks no chance.

That’s seven to five years ago, depending on which part of that period you want to measure from. That’s a long time ago in football. There is doubt that he’s world class because he doesn’t produce the kind of performances that impressed you so much on a regular enough basis. World class isn’t a permanent reputation, it has to be consistently backed up by evidence.

IMO, of course, mate :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Mate after last season how can anyone even dispute this we only needed to beat Brighton or Palace at home right? It took a terrible collapse to throw top four away.

1 Like

Why do people keep mentioning Bale lol? He wasn’t a CM like Pogba he was a winger Man

1 Like

Fàbregas for us.

Liam Brady was a midfielder who performed to a higher level and commitment with an average midfield. He should be taking more responsibility. He clearly doesn’t.

1 Like

Consistency is the beacon of being an elite midfielder.

@SRCJJ tends to blame everything around Pogba and not Pogba himself, having poor teammates is not an excuse for one’s own performances being poor on a regular basis over multiple seasons. At Juve Pogba had Marchisio, Pirlo and Vidal around him. Take him out of that element and he’s exposed.

Pogba can’t be your best player or even second best player, KDB went to Germany to play for Wolfsburg and consistently produced high quality performances without elite players around him. In fact he was crucial in them beating Klopp’s Dortmund in the DFB-Pokal final. Check the pic below, that’s what elite players do, they ball wherever. Pogba convinced United to buy him playing for Juve and hasn’t delivered, KDB convinced City playing for Wolfsburg and hasn’t missed a beat.

I don’t even dislike him but Pogba has got to be one of the very few players where the argument is made that he’s a world class player “on his day” and certain conditions have to be met. His play doesn’t match the reputation, that’s not truly elite that’s marketing.

3 Likes

Still we have to read on a daily bases how shit this squad is. Yeah for a title it obviously is. Other than that it really isn’t.

Greatest of respect, that’s not true. He wasn’t world class when we we playing shit. He moped into obscurity in a number of games.

Wouldn’t Pogba’s time at Juve be equivalent to KdB time at Wolfsburg?

The difference between them now is that KdB went to a well run club on and off the pitch but Pogba didn’t. How consistent would KdB be at United under LVG, then Mourinho or Ole?

My definition of world class is a player who can do it anywhere. By definition, therefore, there ought to only be 11 world class players in the world.

My strict definition doesn’t put Pogba anywhere near a world class XI

3 Likes

How so when he was in an elite team at Juve? Was Wolfsburg an elite team?

I don’t think being an elite team has anything to do with it.

Both Wolfsburg and Juve set up in a way which got consistent top level output from each player. Would KdB be able to perform to the same levels as we’ve seen if he moved to United instead of City? I don’t think so

Very few players can overcome dysfunctional clubs and poor coaching

It has plenty to do with it, the team KDB played in at Wolfsburg was average whereas the team Pogba played in a team surrounded by quality.

So its all United’s fault, poor Pogba. That’s such a lame excuse tbh for someone who is supposedly a world class player. You should know what you’re getting from Pogba game to game despite some dross around him. I believe if you put KDB in at United he’d be consistently good at a minimum. Same goes for Silva or the likes of Yaya Toure.

KDB and Pogba are not in the same class.

1 Like

Fair response

But I think you’re assuming Pogba wouldn’t produce consistent top performances if he didn’t magically drop down to a club similar to Wolfsburg’s level before United. In that hypothetical situation that team would absolutely build the 11 around Pogba’s talent which would be similar to KdB time at Wolfsburg

It’s a belief based on what I’ve seen at United, if one can ask would KDB perform consistently at United then the other side to that question is would Pogba go to Wolfsburg and be voted the Bundesliga Player of Year after that kind of season in which they won a cup, finished second and returned to the CL?

Considering the evidence I would say it’s quite unlikely, like I mentioned before Pogba cannot be the best player in your team.

Pogba is like Ozil who needs rest of his team perform to truly showcase their abilities, like he did in World cup.
United make him look worse than he is.

That said i don’t think Pogba is world class.

2 Likes

I don’t like the argument about players needing other decent players around them to be world class, surely if you was world class you could stick out on your own

4 Likes

Neymar is the best player not named Messi in the world, and should/will get the next Ballon d’Or after he retires, providing he stays fit etc.

3 Likes

Mercurial talent with a horrible injury record and playing in the wrong league.

If he went to Real Madrid, as was widely reported, I think we’d be looking at the shoe-in for the Balon D’or in the coming seasons.