U.S. Politics

You’re right about the militancy coming from the faux left on matters of identity politics. Some of these people, on issues regarding Trans women, actually argue that their are 56 different genders - utter pseudo-science. Post Op Trans women are scientifically men. I can fully understand why many women dislike the idea of sharing their womanhood with men. I think women like Greer might be more tolerant of the idea if it didn’t involve certain inevitable policy outcomes like shared toilets etc. That would be a very bad idea. If it didn’t risk affecting policy then it wouldn’t really matter at all.

Eh wrong person; I didn’t complain about anything…

But in saying that, did you miss what happened in Berkeley, Portland UCL and other places?

It’s not constructive at all; if you don’t like a speaker don’t attend, disrupting lecture because it goes your ideology.

All this rooted in people to virtuous, just because you don’t like something you have no right to stop me from hearing and making my own decision about it. Why not debate the idea and show others it’s stupid? Instead you have people acting like children.

Universities was a place to exchange ideas, learn and attain sense of knowledge; right now people are trying to make universities a place of concerntrated ideology, with a lack of diverse ideas and view points.

Her stance was she refused to see them as women, so a lot of feminist and lgbt activists were outraged. I watched an interview with her about that particular issue.

Complaining seems like an appropriate word for exactly what you’re doing in this thread on this topic, but I can’t be bothered to get bogged down in semantics. So if you don’t think you’re complaining, fine.

Eh I just joined the conversation :hipster:

Haha fair, I’ve totally confused you with ryaninho. An easy mistake to make I’m sure you’d agree lol

So what’s the relevance of the lefties doing it more often then?

They sort of started this whole thing.

Besides that I am guessing you feel that right leaning thinkers and academics, should not be in universities?

BTW do think people that disagree with leftist ideology or policies as alt-right, misogynist and a neo-nazis? It’s seems to be the trend nowadays

Lol

I don’t give a shit where right leaning speakers go. As long as they accept that the haven’t got an inherant right to go there. Own the platform or be prepared to step off it when asked to.

1 Like

But left thinks they own the platforms when their don’t.

No one holds the intrinsic right to any academic platform, they were meant to be neutral, you say the right haven’t the inherent right to places so why do the left? Why should the left have access to every platform?.

I disagree that people should step down when asked; they only should step down after they have spoken, everyone should be heard because it is the only way to challenge shitty ideas as well as gain new perspectives.

Where have I said anything resembling that?

1 Like

Clearly I asked you a question to get an idea where you stand.

Maybe I should reframe it.

Do you think the left should have access to all platforms; regardless of rhetoric and ideas they are espousing?

No. People should have access to platforms as long as the platform owners are prepared to allow them to.

I actually think I’ve been pretty clear about that all long. The left/right stuff is just distraction.

So on that premise if the right leaning speakers are allowed to speak at venue, why should people harass the venue and the organisers till it is shut down.

No you just stated that now. In that case if they’ve been invited to speak at a particular uni/ venue or public space, their have the right to be there and speak freely, thus people have the right to protest; but disruptions and shutting down the speakers and no platforms etc because you don’t like that said speakers view points, topic etc infringes on others freedom to associate.

Just to give a bit of context; MRA speakers are prevented to talk at organised events, the attendees a labelled as misogynistic etc; the talks a shut down by feminist; but if we were to flip the script people would be outraged.

No I fucking didn’t. I’ve said all along if people don’t own platforms then they have no right to them.

At what point?

My posts are all there. Just read back.

I did and I can’t get a sense of you saying that.

The whole point of a protest is to cause disruption, that’s how it works mate. I’m not sure you’ve really grasped the nature of protesting.

So all of these evil lefties no platforming people, have the committed any illegal acts? Cos if so they’d be arrested and events would go ahead. If they haven’t done anything illegal, that’s called legitimate protest.

This is why I asked your brother for a specific example of what the two of you are complaining about, because if you can’t point to any illegality then the simple reality is that you don’t like people protesting when they’re left wing and you’re hypocrites with all this harping on about freedom of speech/expression etc.