The R.I.P thread

RIP Murray Walker

Marvellous Marvin
I didnā€™t know he had sadly passed on .
RIP

1 Like

Hagler v Hearns will go down in folklore

3 Likes

RIP

2 Likes

Wow, 66 is no age for such a fit man.

For the younger generation wondering who Hagler is, enjoy

3 Likes

His fight with Leonard is one of the most debated in history to this day.
Never seen a fight were people youā€™d talk too were so split on the result.

2 Likes

:grin:

2 Likes

It was close but Leonard swept the first 4 rounds so only needed 3 more. It was a 12 round bout, where as Hagler was pacing himself as if it was a 15 round bout that he was used to imo.

There were personality factors too. Hagler was seen as a blue collar guy who fought for small money where as Leonard was a superstar since the Olympics. In the actual fight Hagler wanted to fight, Leonard wanted to box and move.

Good interview with Arum about the build upto Hagler-Leonard

2 Likes

Had an epic fight with Duran. The only fighter to go 15 rounds with him as a world champion.

3 Likes

Duran the best of the 4 if you ask me.

What a generation of fighters that was. 80s was the pinnacle of boxing. 90s had some amazing fighters too.

2 Likes

I think Hagler was a bit tentative in that one. Duran had just destroyed a couple of world champions and obviously when Leonard went toe-toe with Duran it didnā€™t work out for him. Duran himself was immensely skilled and a top draw defensive fighter. So he was harder to hit than anyone Hagler had faced before. Duran cried afterwards that Hagler didnā€™t go toe-toe with him but he did for plenty of that fight.

One thing that you have to credit Hagler with thatā€™s unique is he made boxing out of the southpaw stance acceptable. Before that at most boxing gyms they made left handed boxers box orthodox

4 Likes

Rip Sabine

1 Like

Ah man that is sad. 51 ffs.

Wow how sad :disappointed:

Properly gutted about this one :pensive:

That is so sad! She was amazing, I loved her appearances on Top Gear. She was so charming.

2 Likes

ā€œI do zat laptime in a vanā€

RIP.

3 Likes

RIP

Leeds have lost quite a few former players recently

4 Likes

Reputed to have had the hardest shot in football at one time.
Remember him scoring for Scotland in the world cup in 74.

3 Likes