General News

1 Like

Reason number 1 why the UK is so fucked.

2 Likes

People actually still buy newspapers is more surprising

2 Likes

Not for long thank god

@Joshua any insight as to why this made it all the way to prosecution? Is this not just how college admission for rich people with dumb kids works there?

2 Likes

So the cliche is that you have the front door for smart kids and the back door for rich kids. That’s how Jared Kushner got into Harvard. His dad paid for a building or two. That’s more or less accepted in the US which is shameful and wrong but not what she was accused of.

But what Lori Laughlin and others caught in the probe did was pay a bagman to alter test results and falsify records saying their kids played sports like water polo or fencing to get admitted to schools as athletes.

What she and the others did cost way less money than buying a building, but some of it just made zero sense. Like USC is a good school but is it worth potential Federal prison time to send your kid there? You can already afford to send your kid anywhere and support them after. It’s absolutely insane and while I have a lot of empathy for the kids, some of whom didn’t know they had their grades changed, the parents are total scumbags.

There is an incredible podcast series all about the investigation called Gangster Capitalism (season 1).

5 Likes

Sweet. I was just after a bit more understanding and now I have a new podcast to get on! :slight_smile:

It’s very good. The second season is about the National Rifle Association, which is a US lobbying group against gun control. It’s also worth a listen.

3 Likes

Dutch? The fuck did we ever do in the Sahara :ozil:

In better news,the rule of law still matters in some places I guess. @Stroller

Well done to the judge. Probably came under a lot of pressure from the spooks and awful bootlicking media cabals.

4 Likes

I assume they needed a port on their way to the Kaap ;). In the mean time…

Poor guy was set up by his girlfiend and ended up getting killed.

1 Like

What the fuck is wrong with people…like, what.

1 Like

Is this real??

1 Like

Yep…

1 Like

And of course because there under age. . . .

1 Like

Fucking hell

I hate people sometimes. I really do.

I think anyone found with a knife on them should automatically get sent to the army. I can literally think of no other method of a) dealing with it and b) not ruining peoples lives forever in a prison system.

4 Likes