The Conservative Party

It’s crazy though, even on twitter, or anywhere nobody knew about this issue maybe even a year ago.

It’s great to see more people becoming aware.

2 Likes

I think it is as well but how much of it is motivated by the anti china semtiment going around recently?

I’ve seen plenty of horrendous stuff from palestine, yemen and syria but the mainstream doesn’t seem to care

3 Likes

I think the effects of Corona virus on top of the trade war has really spurred this scepticism towards China and I for one welcome it.

We’ve let them push us around and take advantage of us for far too long. We need to move production away from China and maim some of these Chinese companies like Huawei until they start playing by the same rules.

4 Likes

It’s just picking and choosing the human rights abuses to give a shit about, and at this moment you can only assume it’s because we don’t want to be friends with China right now.

It all just seems very bizarre with how the previous government was trying to cosy up to China. People wanted to question China on this kind of thing when the president last had a state visit and May was all smiles, and then I think it was within the Johnson era that the government said that we definitely needed Huawei.

If we don’t want to be friends with China, we don’t want to be friends with Europe and we don’t want chlorinated chicken, who are we trying to be friends with in the post-Brexit world? I’ve really no idea anymore.

4 Likes

If you were Chinese you’d have a good laugh about the British and American governments lecturing you for mistreating Muslims after the hundreds of thousands of Muslim deaths we’ve caused with our foreign policy.

2 Likes

I think ethically collateral damage isn’t quite the same level as rounding people up and sending them to concentration camps.

2 Likes

“collateral damage”

:joy:

Have we got a more friendly sounding term for Guantanemo Bay and other similar places?

1 Like

I’m not defending collateral damage but generally there’s a difference in intent.

And while I have ethical issues with Guantanemo Bay, they aren’t solely rounding people up because of their ethnicity. Which is what’s happening with Uighur

Also laughing emotions in a discussion about ethnic cleansing? Really?

1 Like

“Sorry, when we embarked upon this decades long campaign of bombing your region we couldn’t have foreseen the hundreds of thousands of deaths our bombs might cause as we fired them all over your countries fairly indiscriminately”

Just look at the language you use here, “collateral damage” to try and excuse and minimise the West’s behaviour.

Nope, there’s definitely not one common characteristic most people in Guantanemo Bay shared during this period.

I stand by my initial comment, if I were China I would absolutely laugh in the face of a foreign government lecturing me about the treatment of Muslims when they’d spent the best part of two decades fucking up life for millions of Muslims.

Don’t for second think you have the moral authority to question my conduct in the current affairs section Mr “Attempted Rape is a Bullshit Crime”

Oh I can quite easily point out when you’re being a total cunt, which is right now. You’re literally playing ‘YEA BUT’ over concentration camps you retarded piece of shit

I get his logic though and I agree, we should just let china run about the world genociding and destroying shit because the Labour Party went on 2 wars in the middle east.

I’ll PM you my address for that free gym equipment.

“yeah but” implies I’m seeking to miminmise or defend the Chinese behaviour on this front, which I am not. I’ve been very critical of them about this issue on here. What I’m doing is simply pointing out that British and American governments have very little authority when it comes to lecturing foreign governments on their treatment of Muslims.

2 Likes

China is forcibly interning it’s own citizens, sterilizing them, and harvesting their organs, committing a cultural genocide and possibly even an actual genocide. Britain has never done that. They are also abusing the rights of their own citizens in Hong Kong. And Huawei is owned in part by President Xi. Giving Huawei rights in British infrastructure is like giving it to the Kremlin during the Cold War.

The best comparison you could make would be Britain during the days of Empire to Tibet.

3 Likes

Behaviours the West has been happy enough to ignore for a long time. Which is another reason why I’d laugh if I were China, because all of a sudden we’ve decided to take a “moral stand” on this. China has been up to all sorts of fuckeries for years and we’ve had little to say, but now we’re acting like they’re being unconscionable and it simply cannot be tolerated.

It’s the transparency of it all that would make me laugh, just empty words that mean nothing.

Whereas we prefer to export our human rights abuses generally.

2 Likes

So is it not good that our foreign policy around this is shifting?

It’s not just empty words though. We look like we are pulling out of the Huawei deal. Most other western powers have already refused Huawei. The US is looking like it might ban Tictok. Britain and Australia are offering safe-haven to many Hong-Kongese. We are beginning to put scrutiny on China for it’s human rights violations against the Muslims. A change in policy towards a military superpower is not going to be a swift.

3 Likes

Yeah it sad to say but I don’t think they care about moral advice from the west any more than they care about human rights. I would guess they just think we show poor self awareness. I also don’t think when push comes to shove they care too much about us threatening to not buy their gadgets.

1 Like

What China is doing is a lot worse than anything the us and the UK have done this century, and that’s coming from someone that is very critical of western foreign policy.

Let me know when Britain decides to perform vivisection on Muslims, or decides to forcibly take Muslims organs to sell on the black market.

The Tories may be bringing it up for their own nefarious purposes, but fuck it somebody has to say something.

5 Likes

Well you’ve been in wars most of this century killing idno… couple of hundred thousand muslims in the middle east? :sweat_smile: I ofc do not mean to defend them, I just think they won’t care. They view them (Uyghurs) as political terrorists and bla bla so then anything goes apparently.

I don’t think anybody disputes that the actions of the Chinese are worse. I think fundamentally it’s just rich seeing the UK and whatnot taking a moral high ground on the Chinese treatment of Muslims when their foreign policy is directly responsible for the displacement, death, famine and so forth of so many Muslims in the Middle East.

I know China is flavour of the month but maybe the UK and the US need to take a look at what their pals over in Saudi Arabia are doing in Yemen.

4 Likes

I mean yes, it’s like that when Russia or Iran were going after the US about the black lives matter stuff.

The intentions were never really pure. If only we could listen to eachother when we are pulled up on the horrible shit we do as governments, but alas…

Also I want to give the BBC a shout-out for doing some actual proper journalism for once, although they were probably give the full green light from their government masters.