The Conservative Party

So…should I cancel my trip to London scheduled for March? Just trying to get a sense of how fucked things are over there if you guys do a no-deal Brexit around Halloween.

No way should you cancel. Will be cheap as feck!

1 Like

:henry2: Outstanding. The exchange rate was 1.50 to 1 the last time I was over there. Got absolutely wrecked at Sainsburys and the wine store weekly doing the grocery shopping.

2 Likes

Will be interesting to see how Boris pans out. He stepped into a really disadvantaged position. Looking likely only a GE will be the only way to break the deadlock in Parliament.

Whether you agree with it or not it’s important we have clear position on how Brexit will proceed from now on. The “Brexit” cabinet is a good strategy too

1 Like

Which he is in large part responsible for.

4 Likes

Depends what you’re referring to tbh

The Brexit situation as a whole or the current make up of Parliament?

The real test is whether the UK voting public are as dumb as the Americans. It appears to me as an outsider that Boris was one of the architects and chief cheerleaders of this Brexit bullshit and should really have his feet held to the fire on promises made during the referendum. I know that it wouldn’t happen in the US because (a) we’re too dumb to focus on more than one thing at a time and (b) we don’t have a Parliamentary system.

Brexit. Current make up of parliament isn’t particularly relevant. Even with a majority Mays deal wouldn’t have got through because of people like Boris.

Nobody could be quite that dumb, but they’re giving it a good try. After all, the Brits are our ancestors (as a country, if not as individuals). We inherited our general stupidity from them.

Hard for me to speculate how bad our Brexit negotiation currently position is, all I know it isn’t ideal like you say.

It all depends on how the county reacts after a no deal tbh. Even as a remainer I think the forcast have been exaggerated. If I had a choice between no deal and May’s withdrawal agree I choose no deal tbh

The two most stupid people ever to have been the leaders of America and here.

You get what you vote for but if Trump and Johnson win the next elections, you really do get what you vote for.

Johnson is proof that no matter how dim and useless you are, if you have rich parents that send you to Eton, where your told you are better than everyone else, then you can bully your way to the top.

What’s worse is that, like in America, the main opposition is almost as unelectable.
Corbyn is the worst opposition leader I can remember, although Milliband is pretty close.

I agree some of the forecasts are millenium bug like and the reality won’t be that. Just wondering though, what advantage you see in no deal that isn’t there with Mays deal?

1 Like

I don’t deem the Irish backstop in its current state acceptable under any circumstance.

I think generally alot of the major sticking points of Withdrawal agreement is reflective of PM who never seriously considered no deal as an option.

No deal is a terrible option, it will make the UK poorer and cost jobs but a harsh clean break may be better in terms of achieving actual separation from the EU

1 Like

Mate it will be 1:1 by the time you come round deffo come actually great shout @shamrockgooner

1 Like

How come? It’s a back up in case a trade deal can’t be reached. It seems implausible to me that a trade deal would not be reached. The trade deal might even already have happened if Mays deal had been approved.

1 Like

Prediction time …Johnson will sign Theresa Mays deal with backstop in place and talk about changing it in trade negotiations once we have left.

1 Like

Looooool little bitch. All that grovelling for nothing. If only he had some brains, he’d realise BoJo was gonna off him, so at least he’d stick to his guns and go out with some credit.

But nah, left looking like a complete plinker :arteta:

What happens when you got too many sycophants in the Scottish media telling you you’re doing great.

1 Like

I think it’s a bad mechanism which doesn’t serve the UK’s long term interests because it reduces our ability to separate from the EU politically in the short term and threatens the integrity of our own Union.

Feels unreasonable to agree to something that we could not unilaterally depart from without an already agreed FTA on the table. There’s no guarantee that a fair FTA would be negotiated.

The Irish border situation feels like a non issue imo, there are effective/simple ways to police customs without a hard border in place

Nobody wants a hard boarder and I don’t think even a no deal Brexit brings one about. NI isn’t strategically important to the EU or the UK and in all honesty Ireland as a whole isn’t to the EU either. Other than to show “unity”.

What is in the EUs interests is keeping Britain as a viable trading partner and again, I don’t think there is any scenario where a fair trade deal doesn’t get arrived at. The idea that the EU would hold the backstop over the UK as a ransom of sorts is media spin and scaremongering. It’s simply not in the EUs interests to do so. And if the backstop remained forever does that really matter to the UK? Again apart from the unity thing I don’t think it does.

It’s been allowed gather an importance it simply doesn’t have.