The Academy Awards (Oscars)

100%

Truly absorbing acting

2 Likes

He definitely was, that is included in that period, it came out in 2013 no?

Mud, DBC, TD, Interstellar :giroud2:

Loved the McConaissance as Dave puts it.

6 Likes

That usually is the case, yes

4 Likes

Yep.

The fluffin lines scene in the bar, the resultant breakdown scene in the trailer, the scene where he first meets the little girl on set.

Very hard to take your eyes off the TV when di Caprio is in full flow

3 Likes

Nah I thought Pitt stole once upon a time. Trailer park scene and Bruce Lee fight very memorable.
Thought he was very charasmatic throughout that film.

2 Likes

Anyone else think that the film that won Leonardo his Oscar was a bit shit?

4 Likes

Yeah, not one of his best. It wasnā€™t the strongest year for films. I imagine the thought process went ā€œwell, Leo is long overdue an Oscar, letā€™s just give him this one.ā€

1 Like

Yeah Pitt and Leo were both awesome, but Pittā€™s character was just so good. Everything about him was just so effortless.

The Revenant was a ā€œone and doneā€ movie, Iā€™m glad I saw it in the cinema, it was fucking intense but Iā€™ll never watch it again because I just donā€™t need to.

3 Likes

Wouldnā€™t call it shit, but he could have rather won it for his other far better films, yes. The Great Gatsby, Wolf of wall Street, Blood Diamond, Inception off the top of my head. Revenant was good, but wasnā€™t a movie people were talking about after watching it. And also felt Leo acted better, especially in Wolf of wall Street. Truly robbed there. Think the involvement of drugs and sex in the movie played a slight hurdle for him that year imo.

But De Caprio didnā€™t win an Oscar did he? All those films you mention he was really good but the films themselves were a bit average. I thought Pitt was great in Once Upon a Time. But man movies that win Oscars have been getting worse and worse for years and years.

1 Like

Yeah itā€™s just an endless sea of rich people getting up on stage and engaging in a fairly grotesque form of moral posturing and virtue signalling.

Itā€™s not that some of the issues they mention arenā€™t real, but many of them only do it because they think it makes them look great on stage and they are the last people who would know anything about the problems they preach about. Itā€™s nauseating.

3 Likes

Yeah the hypocrisy of some of these cunts is fairly out there lol

Talk about a cultural elite in their ivory towers haha

3 Likes

The Revenant was great.

Crash and slumdog were particular lowlights to my mind.

1 Like

Crash was an excellent film I thought. Slumdog was complete garbage though Iā€™m with you on that.

1 Like

Iā€™d say American Beauty was the last good mainstream film to win best picture. That was over 20 years ago!

1 Like

Was that the one where Kevin Spacey is a bit of a weird sex creep, or is that real life?

1 Like

Not sure about that. The Oscars were always mostly about marketing. Genuinely great films that win the top prize have always been exceptions.

1 Like

Itā€™d be interesting for someone to put an exhaustive list on here of best picture winners from, say, 1960 (so @Persona can get involved) and we all judge them on a scale of 1 to 10

With Arsenal being complete shit these days we should just change this forum to a TV and cinema discussion board.

3 Likes