Pre-2000s Football

Yeah the 90s were wild…

1 Like

Seeing Jorge Campos there instantly reminded me of this advert, the greatest Nike advert ever imo.

I remember watching this as a kid and just falling in love with football, staring wide-eyed at the screen, in awe at how cool the concept was for a start but also wanting to be just like the players in the ad.

Rewatched that for the first time in years and Wrighty’s bicycle kick gave me goosebumps. Maldini, Romario, Bebeto, Cantona…Campos that mad cunt. There was something so fucking romantic about football in the 90s. Particularly given that the best players were abroad and so you only caught glimpses of the world’s best at World Cups and Euros, and highlights on Football Italia. Those days…

2 Likes

Talking about football adverts, this is the one for me.

The music, Cantona’s role, direction… Stacked with so many of my heroes and idols of that era… Still hardly losew it’s power. Simply too cool.

Davids, Roberto Carlos, Nakata, Mendieta, Figo, R9… Wiltord and Freddie :heart: Cantona did such a great job, at the time I had no clue who was that guy, thought it was somw actor.

Never a Nike advert in my eyes, this is a football advert, you wanna be a footballer seeing it.

9 Likes

Some of the names on this :fire:

11 Likes

That little Cantona chuckle at the very end is iconic.

Damn, this advert was everything. I remember Nike then set up first goal wins, scorpion cages across London that were mad popular with teens, remember going and playing at one of them with my mates. Not only that, but for a good few years me and my mates would play first goal wins scorpion all the time, I remember a seating area at school got completely taken over by us boys playing football cos we could use the gaps between the legs of the benches to imitate the tiny, shin high goals from the advert.

My dad got me the silver Nike ball from the advert and I was the coolest kid in the park for weeks.

This advert was such a big deal at the time, I don’t remember any other advert having such an impact.

Best Nike advert for me, and some of their others have been absolutely incredible too. The “Brazil team in the airport” ad runs this Scorpion one pretty close.

Edit: just remembered I had a three foot wide official Nike poster up by my bed as a young teen, with all of the players in this advert side by side wearing all the gear from the outfit.

Haven’t seen this advert in so long, so glad you posted it @Pires, what a trip down memory lane.

7 Likes

So our players were singing Notti Magiche in the team bus, then I saw it sang at wembley for the final… then this video comes up as suggested. Some amazing aerial shots of San siro, and a whole lot of weird Italian shit and beautiful Italian women.

I was 3 in 1990 so have zero actual memories of this, yet the nostalgia and longing for this time gone by is so so strong in me, anyone else get like that with anything they didn’t even really witness?

3 Likes
2 Likes

1 Like
6 Likes

Christ I miss midfield craftsmen. Football was a far better sport to watch.

8 Likes
3 Likes

Easy to forget he was an Inter player before becoming a Madrid staple.

In an interview with FourFourTwo in a May 2005 issue, Roberto Carlos said that the then-coach of Inter, Roy Hodgson, wanted him to play as a winger, but Carlos wanted to play as a left back. Carlos spoke to Inter owner Massimo Moratti “to see if he could sort things out and it soon became clear that the only solution was to leave”.

How things could’ve been different for him.

4 Likes

It’s AMN situation :joy:

4 Likes

Hahahahahahaha

1 Like

AMN scoring a cracking volley for Madrid in the 90th minute to send us crashing out of the CL knock out phase in CL 2025. :joy:

1 Like

Abysmal defending around 1:35

I don’t think I’ve ever seen a player look as reluctant to use their right foot as Carlos did there yet the defender still let him have the space to switch to his left and shoot lol

1 Like

No players on their level playing today.

1 Like

Really? Ronaldo and Messi are a higher level, no?

Sounds like nostalgia is blinding you here a bit perhaps haha

3 Likes

I should’ve added, specifically. in no.10 position. I still maintain Totti is unique, with a combination of qualities, reading of the game to create entire situations of 3/4 moves ahead with one pass, to open up a team mate usually in perfect position to then find a goalscoring opportunity for a subsequent teammate. He was spectacularly talented at that, from what I’ve seen only Michael Laudrup in the “modern” game, had that.

Then there is his goalscoring and shooting technique, how he can regularly lob a keeper from 30 yards and have them stumble into the net. On top of this, often he would make his passes in an acrobatic style, often similar to Ibrahimovic, that at first you think is flashy, and then realise that movement was the perfect way to execute in that situation.

I’ve never seen a player like him. For me he has no equal, even if Messi is better than him, I will strongly suggest Totti is a much more incomparable combination of abilities.

2 Likes