Tennis

I don’t know if we should be surprised or not, Djokovic is to hard courts what Nadal is to clay…

And Djokovic is much closer to his peak since injury return than Nadal

2 Likes

This is some of the best tennis I’ve ever seen from Djokovic, this tournament has seen the best displays from Nadal at the Australian Open and Djokovic is making him look ordinary and Nadal is a better player now.

I think this is better tennis from Djokovic than we saw in 2011 at the Australian Open, it’s just another level.

1 Like

Yeah the thing with Nadal is that he’s never really been on the same level on hard courts as Djok and Federer and he’s far removed from his prime. He absolutely can still dominate people on hard courts but unless it’s clay, I’m never sure about Rafa these days.

30-30 on the Djokovic serve, here we go!

EDIT: WE HAVE A BREAK POINT!

At least he had a breakpoint.

This is arguably the best performance I’ve seen in a slam final.

Looking like Nadal wont break Djokovic once which is just something else.

If he manages to win in straight sets it’ll be of the best performances ever IMO.

This is it, two match points.

Djokovic is not far from being the best hard court player of all time!

I still think 07 Federer is the better on hards.

Nah bro, who was Federer playing? Lesser players

Federer couldn’t even hope to do this against Nadal. This is Nadal!

It’s Djokovic all day for me and by a country mile, just looking at the titles on hard courts he has tells the story.

Federer is 10 years removed form his prime, I don’t think there’s a better player in history than peak Federer. Maybe Djok has the better record on hards but I think Fed is the better player man.

Federer is actually a better player at this point skills wise than years previously, for example his back hand is better now. What he doesn’t have is age on his side.

You have to look at records against your rivals and Djokovic has better h2h records against the big four not to mention he is the first person in the open era to hold all four majors at once, first player to win the golden masters (all of them) and also had the biggest lead in ATP ranking points too.

I’ve never seen a more dominant player at his peak than Djokovic and he does it against these top rivals, Federer is arguably GOAT, however, quite a few titles came against lesser players. In one grand slam final he bagled Hewitt (6-0) twice.

When it’s all said and done Djokovic will have a very good case for being the GOAT.

52 Slams between the big 3 in the last 15.5 years since Roger won his first, going to be so strange in like 5 years when all 3 are gone.

I think what is on Federer’s side is how beautiful he was/is on the eye, never been a better player to watch in his prime IMO.

1 Like

I think when they’re all gone that may be the only thing Federer fans may have that to hold him up as the GOAT i.e. his beautiful style of play and complete game.

However, in terms of records on tour and against his rivals they may not have a leg to stand on.

Djokovic for me, he’s 25-22 against Federer and 28-25 against Nadal, which additionally disguises the fact that in the second half of those rivalries in the last half decade he’s been fairly dominant against both of them.

I think also a higher proportion of Djokovic’ Slams have come where he’s had to beat at least one of the other two. Some of Federer’s earlier victories came pre-Djokovic and when his biggest challenger was someone like Roddick

Ultimately whoever ends up winning the most slams out of the 3 will be considered the GOAT, that’s my opinion anyways.

What about Djokovic and Fed on 20 a piece :giroud2:

I’d Say Nole would edge it then due to slightly superior head to head, likely holding the no 1 for more weeks and most year end no 1 finishes.

Djokovic is a great winner, and it wouldn’t surprised me if he eclipsed Federer in terms of GS wins. But Federer is just a different class to watch and is by far the more entertaining and gifted player.

Whilst I appreciate what Rafa and Novak have done in the sport they don’t compare to Federer to me in terms of enjoyment and style.

1 Like