Sylvain Wiltord

Deserves a thread for this moment alone

Good player during a great era.

8 Likes

Who is that who jumps clear over Wiltord while he is celebrating?

1 Like

Kanu

1 Like

Jimmy Humumunuppunuppuahuaha

Also known as Nwankwo Kanu

4 Likes

Not bad athleticism considering he was 43 years old at the time too!

2 Likes

Yes, I remember when we won the league last year, sweet times!

A mistake by Sylvestre

Classic commentary

Good times

I was referring to the age issues :poldi:

1 Like

One of my very favourite players from that era. Loved that guy.

Wiltord and Poldi are very similar. Neither of them were stars, but they worked their socks off when played and were appreciated within the squad. There should always be one of these guys in a team.

1 Like

Solid player that played his role well in a very very good team.

Truth be told he probably didn’t quite live up to the fee we spent at him at the time which I believe was a club record ? Didn’t matter though as all he needed to do was play his part with all that attacking talent around him.

I reckon he’d have left a much bigger legacy if it wasn’t for his injury in 2003/04, when he missed most of the season.
I’d say he had a very good contribution in 2002 and 2003 (10 league goals both season; no penalties, free kicks etc), considering he wasn’t an out and out starter and played on the wing at times too. I always felt he was a potent goalscorer, very clinical, comfortable in front of the goal. He was able to get into a decent goalscoring streak when he’d get some consistent time up front. I remember his great form at the start of 2002/03. And he did manage to get the golden boot in France in '99.
But not just the end product, he had great link up, great chemistry with the guys around him, and with his mobility, explosiveness I always thought he contributed even when he wasn’t scoring and made us dangerous. 92 caps for a great France generation too and was great in his two first seasons with Lyon (that was a brilliant side at that time; I wanted Le Guen as Arsene’s successor) after he left us (Ligue 1 team of the year both years).
In my eyes he was actually a classy, slick player, always on the brink of the starting 11, never just some ordinary sub player. Probably roughly on a similar lever as Ljungerg, just not as good as a pure midfielder/winger, and up front (which was his primary role) he obviously had to share his minutes with Bergkamp.
Always a legend in my eyes.

3 Likes
3 Likes

Loving the translation, “a lad” :joy:

Not an otd but posting just because :grin:

2 Likes

Problem with OTD is you only end up seeing these glories bunched up in May, so it’s nice to get them sprinkled like this :grin:

2 Likes
6 Likes