Super Mik Arteta

We do anyways… people go through us into our pen area with ease all the time. Tbf we have gotten a little better this season.

Me neither. We’re a big enough club to make someone available, we don’t have to sit around and wait for this mythical world class manager we’ll probably never, ever hire anyway. This is fucking Arteta we are talking about, not an established manager with track record, there are countless better managers out there, he is not hard to improve on at all lol

11 Likes

I can’t believe I’ve been through times where I’ve been willing to give this guy a chance.

I think almost any other manager in the prem is better than the cone collector

2 Likes

I think that’s what hurts the most. Benteke is a joke player imo and all last week people were saying how Arsenal would have to cope with a big guy like him (and Zaha obviously, who didn’t play). What exactly was the plan tonight?

At one point they put a graphic on the screen that we had 33% possession in the ten minutes after the goal. It’s pathetic. The midfield couldn’t connect to attack.

I still don’t quite know how Palace kept eleven on the pitch though. McArthur going Cobra Kai on Saka is pretty ridiculous.

Arteta cannot coach these guys in attack. He just can’t. We had five attacking players on the pitch in the first half and created nothing. We’ll win the odd game here and there, but I doubt we’ll see another coherent performance the way we had everything line up perfectly against Spurs. They just so happened to play right into our hands and we blitzed them in the first half. That won’t happen again. The sooner Arteta goes, the better.

@BizzySignal the thing about us not being able to handle a press is just ridiculous. We spent all summer buying players and promoting players who were press resistant. Sambi, Partey, ESR, Odegaard, Saka, White, are all supposed to be press resistant. Why the disconnect? If you have one guy not performing, it’s a player issue. If you have a bunch of guys not performing you have to look at the coaching.

4 Likes

yup

That’s what a false 9 “fixes” for you

Sadly that’s how it looks atm.

The large scale pressing type football needs to be trained properly, you need to get tight as a unit, it’s that thing where if it is not synced you’re all running for nothing, if one guy doesn’t know where to go you’re all running for nothing. It needs to be drilled.

I don’t know if it’s exceedingly hard but it definitely seems to takes some effort, far from all teams press well or even try to. But we, as you say, are also vulnerable to pressing so teams press us and the pressing, like today, wasn’t even that good, it’s just that our players don’t seem to know intuitively what to do, and I think that, as you say, is probably a coaching thing.

We’re just not getting much out of our players in games like these I feel.

1 Like

Arteta has gotten 45 minutes out of this team against Spurs when everything went in his favor and maybe 20 minutes against Brighton when we still couldn’t score.

What exactly was the plan tonight? We scored that first goal and then folded like a cheap suit. Was that part of the plan? Okay, he kind of addressed it by going to a double pivot but somehow we looked worse in the second half.

The problem is what it’s always been, disinterested ownership. Edu won’t fire him, Josh won’t fire him, the club will limp along with him until the summer when we will yet again watch managers enter the market. We’re going to waste guys like ESR, Saka and Odegaard.

1 Like

Just an abysmal coach and manager. You see that situation with OGS at United and you’re looking at the same level of total cluelessness and incapability to organise his team here. He can’t get this done and we need to move him on.

I would take Brendan Rodgers or even Graham Potter on a short term deal at this very moment. We are lacking any kind of tactician or master of preparation. At the very least with those managers you get better organisation and a proven style in attack and defence.

1 Like

I’m not sure ESR and Saka are the top tier talents we hoped to be honest either.

1 Like

Not being developed properly. Arteta is trying to manage out those natural instincts which got them here. Hopefully we sack him soon before he completely ruins these guys.

3 Likes

I’m kinda inclined to agree with both of you @Aussiegooner @BigWeng_4LYFE

Neither Saka nor ESR are mercurial talents but the manager certainly isn’t helping (he’s stunted Martinelli’s progression, for example)

3 Likes

The tragic thing about this is a good manager starts to perform small miracles with a 5th place squad. They upset the normal order and maybe sneak into the top 4 (and I think that for a club the size of Arsenal, if we get CL football for just one season, the rest almost looks after itself)

For all this talk of Newcastle needing a “stepping stone” manager ahead of a big name- we’re the ones crying out for exactly that.

5 Likes

The thing about “even Graham Potter” is he has succeeded in his managerial posts so far, you could even argue succeeded out of all proportion to the resources and stature of the clubs he’s been at, he’s qualified and not a complete unknown. Unlike Arteta, who had managed precisely nowhere before here. Such a ridiculous appointment and even more ridiculous that we stick with him.

3 Likes

He’s quite easily the worst manager in the league

1 Like

There certainly isn’t a worse manager in the PL than Arteta.
Considering what he has spent and the time he’s been here, the performances we’ve seen have got worse.

If he stays, we will finish in the bottom half of the league.
It’s possible we could even find ourselves in relegation trouble.

Nothing is is beyond our inept manager and board.

2 Likes

Nah we won’t be in relegation trouble, you said that last year also and we ended up 8th 61 points…. I expect this years finish will be something similar which is a massive failure still.

6 Likes

Last season I predicted a mid table finish but only a bottom half finish if we continued our poor form in the first few games.

But certainly this season we are more than capable of finishing nearer the relegation places than top four because Arteta is getting perceivably worse and he’ll lose the dressing room, if he hasn’t already.

1 Like

The way we’re playing we look like 10th at best and 15th at worst so the current 12th a fair reflection so far.

I think it’s possible we’ll collapse in confidence and get worse though but find it very hard to see how this coach will get us as many as 61 points again this season.

I think it’s plain to see the likes of Viera and Potter doing a miles better job with much lower resources. Unbelievable that this clown gets given more time with his BS youth project spin.

5 Likes

Thomas Frank too

6 Likes

Thomas the Tank Engine would at least gotten is to the EL final.

3 Likes

That’s a good call.
It’s strange that he doesn’t get mentioned more often.
I know he hasn’t been in the PL long but Brentford play great football, they’re very well organised and they don’t sit back and defend against the big teams, like Chelsea, they have a go at them.

Although Frank might not have the experience of some of the other choices he has proved that, with limited resources, he can motivate a team and the players seem to want to play for him, which is the opposite of what we have.

But we all know our board won’t go for him, Conte, Rodgers, or any decent manager.
They will sit back and watch our rivals replace their under performing managers, while we persist with a proven failure.

3 Likes