Super Mik Arteta

If Arteta is the answer then what the fuck is the question? One win out of 4 . Piss poor

1 Like

I think the real problem here is that you seemingly can’t criticise anything Arteta does because he needs time - which is totally fair.

But then by the same token you can’t lavish him with praise because he’s got us playing decent football for 20-30 minutes a game.

The reality is that if Emery pulled off that performance against Palace yesterday he’s be getting slaughtered and rightly so.

We created next to nothing and just ended up being pushed deeper and deeper to the point where Palace, a team who ate so poor going forward, we’re the far more deserving team.

Arteta is persisting with the unbalanced Pepe, Auba and Laca front line and that’s proven time and time again to not work so stop it now.

7 Likes

Is there any lineup which would work with these bunch?
People go on and on about front line but who would you play on wings for Auba to move upfront?

Yea man Arteta out ! Lets change headcoaches every 4 games ! Coyg !

1 Like

Allegri proven winner Arteta = Peps tea boy

2 Likes

Yeah that’s dumb. Freddie got five :yum:

1 Like

We’ve still suffering with thinking We can score and sit back…we can’t. Arteta has a job on his hands just keeping theses players focused.
I think he getting it right but it will take time and some players who attitude can’t change will need to go.
If not Arteta then who? He has history with the club and is well liked. He’s honest aswell about his feeling when he expects.more and doesn’t get it.
This season is going to be painful and if he gets top sixth he will have done well, next season is a different matter.

1 Like

If only yous showed Emery this kind of savage scrutiny, we wouldn’t be in this mess.

Careful what you wish for.:grin:

1 Like

The biggest problem against Palace was that we couldn’t progress and keep the ball once they started pressuring us. Part of that is the team needing time to understand how Arteta wants to play in the buildup. But we’re also just not good enough technically and tactically in key spots.

We need a CM who can keep the ball under pressure and carry it forward.

Ozil has all the technical ability and tactical acumen to help in the buildup but he just fades into and out of matches too much.

Sokratis isn’t very good on the ball so teams can try to tilt the press toward Luiz.

Only one of our starting wingers can really dribble and carry the ball and he tends to lose it a lot.

In the long run, we need Auba back at CF, Martinelli starting LW, at least one new starting CB, at least one new starting CM, new CAM, maybe Nelson or somebody else over Pepe, and Tierney or Saka over Kola.

Arteta is saying all the right things to support his current players but he’s going to need some major squad changes to make this work.

4 Likes

I think you can criticise Arteta. The point of view from which you’re doing this is different with Arteta than it was with Emery hence there is some more lenience towards Arteta. Emery was 1.5 years in and everything was shit. Yesterday was Arteta’s fifth game in charge.

The Aubameyang thing is one of the reasons why I think a left winger is a priority. But I’d rather keep persisting with Auba this season that give it a go with Nelson or Saka.

Classic , you could say we’ve got our Arsenal back :joy::joy:

1 Like

I disagree. Auba central with one of Saka/Nelson is far better than Auba LW and Laca at ST.

In my opinion I guess.

But yeah, we really need a AM, LW if we don’t trust the kids yet, CM, and CB.

2 Likes

So we kept getting told mate.

1 Like

Agreed there !

Laca’s a problem with his play around the goal. Tries to hard to score on every occasion rather than offload quicker to a player in a better scoring position.
No top team would keep Laca up front in a central position. He started to work hard and that’s a credit to him but I feel he might be better off on the wing. I know it’s not where he plays but we just can’t have a goal scorer up front who doesn’t score goals

1 Like

I think this is one of his biggest problems.
He is used to working with a squad that has world class players in every position and on the bench.
For him to go from that to us, where not a single player would get in the Man City first team, will take a bit of adjustment.

It doesn’t matter how good he might be as a coach, if he hasn’t got the tools to work with, we aren’t going to challenge for anything more than the top four trophy.

Like you say, the team is dysfunctional and he has to get new players desperately, but I doubt if he is going to get the backing from the board that he will need.

2 Likes

I can respect if you are not the Arteta train yet, but with the mess that our team was in at the point of the Everton game, do you honestly believe Allegri would have got better results currently than what we got against Bou, Chels, ManU & CP? The rot is deep.

What Arteta wants from these players is something which they cannot give yet across 90 mins. It would be the same for any other manager in the world, to ask this group to perform above the level that they have. They are not used to the intensity which Arteta wants, Luiz said as much.

But that intensity is one of the crucial steps to get us back to being a top team, and any manager who knows what they’re doing would be demanding the same in this league.

When we have shown our best football so far it was rightly praised by everybody and Arteta was happier as it is closer to the ideas that he has.

There is a longer term plan here and his philosophy is clear. His vision is perfect for this club but there will be bumps on the road and it may still not work out here (which I think would only happen if the club don’t back him properly).

I understand if some skepticism exists over him because of his previous experience, but he impressed many people quickly because he has got the tools within him to be a top manager (clear vision, man management, attention to detail and a drive to succeed), and if he doesn’t reach it here, he will do it elsewhere - I have no doubt.

Tl:Dr - Arteta’s philosophy is perfect for this club and will benefit us long term, in the short term any manager in the world would likely get similar results at best so far, as the players are asked to perform at a higher level which they can’t show consistently.

2 Likes

Without a doubt. I think people are grossly overestimating the task at hand.

David Moyes and Nigel Pearson just went to town on the same Bournemouth team we went life and death. With mentally damaged squads experiencing long stretches of poor form.

Chelsea are as hit a miss a team as they come and Palace can’t score goals.

I think people are perhaps overestimating how bad we are when they start lauding draws against Bournemouth and Palace as being good results.

Allegri is an elite coach and I have no doubt he’d have given us a new manager bounce at the very least.

5 Likes

There’s skepticism and am one who freely admits it for a wealth of reasons.
However the wave of fanaticism that’s been posted on social media and stuff on five points in four games is what’s getting on people’s nerves.
We really shouldn’t be saying anything when we look at that table. Tenth. Eleven points off fourth and minus goal difference. Situation critical.

4 Likes