Super Mik Arteta

Exactly.
He is like Wenger in that he persists with a system that requires technically superior players.
He was working with world class players at Man City but the players here are only mid table level at best.
It’s also very Wenger like to play our best players out of their preferred position, which seems to be an Arteta trait.
Like you say, let’s hope he goes for an approach that’s more suited to the players he has or that he can get in the transfer window.

1 Like

I don’t think he has managed us for enough games for us to say he keeps persisting with something, especially not compared to Wenger who persisted with the same thing for 812 years.

1 Like

It might have seemed that long but in reality it was only just over five hundred years and the first hundred years he was quite successful. :grinning:

1 Like

Here we go again with the I’ll give him another full season before I judge comments.
People said after the summer signings they’d give Emery a season. They didn’t and won’t here if it looks bad. Just be honest enough to accept the fact the game moves much faster than that. It’s a 24/7 media bubble your in here. The luxury of time belongs over a decade ago now.

4 Likes

At 2:30, Arteta really said these are the guys we right now and we can’t do nothing about it. :rofl::rofl:

He tries to save it afterwards by saying some of them have performed under him before the lockdown.

“At the moment we are playing with the players that we have.”

So, I’ll sign some crocked older players that have never been good. Should fix the backline.:roll_eyes:

1 Like

Controversial here but the Luiz deal makes sense. He fucked up against City but he was arguably our best defender since Arteta arrived. He’s a nutjob at times but it’s either that or Holding who looks ready to join Jenkinson in the Championship.

1 Like

But is a nutjob the right person to help guide a young player like Saliba? I’d argue no.

We’ve heard all this talk (which is what Arsenal are actually good at) about changing the culture at the club. He’s not the right guy to do that. Can he ping a ball? Sure. I just don’t like the message it sends.

Ramos and Pepe were(still are) nutjobs but that didn’t ruin Varane though did it?

Ramos and Pepe were (and are) on a different level talent-wise than Luiz. It’s not even close.

Not really, especially Ramos with Luiz. Very similar players but the latter gets exposed more because he is playing at a harder level in the Prem where all the focus is.
Both can be amazing under the right management (although they’re still unpredictable).

I should mention that I don’t rate Ramos all that much anyway(definitely not on that GOAT CB train some are on).

“I hate giving games when they were under control.”

Well, when you have a game under control, please let us know.

3 Likes

I miss Arsene Wenger. Who’d have thought the final few years he had at the club he was actually holding it up

1 Like

I don’t miss the man who laid the foundations for our decline with nonsensical transfers, panic buys, a gross lack of tactical flexibility and a clear disconnect from the ever evolving game.

8 Likes

Nope

1 Like

Fans were literally punching each other over Wenger :joy:

Him not going is never part of any equation.

6 Likes

Arteta only has to do one thing to make a difference to the way we play… don’t pass the ball out from the back!!

Arteta is used to top quality players at Man City who are good at passing the ball from the back.
If you watch how they played against Burnley, even their GK, Ederson, was more adept and effective at passing the ball forward than any of our defenders or midfielders.

Arteta has to get our team playing to their strengths rather than getting them to do things they aren’t comfortable with.

The problem for him is, what are our strengths?

I wanted Rogers when Emry got appointed. So many Arsenal supporters turned their nose up at him. Just stupid. I honestly believe he could’ve made us top 4 competitive then and there. I don’t think he would’ve taken to the top, but he would be a fantastic manager for 3-4 years whilst trying to stabalise the club.

3 Likes

Well he’s sitting on about 2 wins in his last 10 games as Leicester boss now so the real Rodgers is starting to rear its head now.

1 Like