Other Clubs' Transfers

Either or tbh. Hermoso looks great, and if Perez has some Brazilian fetish going on, we should pounce.

I’d be pretty pissed if we got all these Spaniards in charge for no reason.

But yeah, most of the money should go towards a CB.

1 Like

A lot of sides are gonna be in for a CB, wouldn’t surprise me Maguire is one of the remaining CBs the top sides didn’t snap up come late July/early August. If Leicester wasn’t in the way I would go for him. He’s gonna cost some fee.

The wholly subjective eye test?

Anytime anybody uses stats they’re accused of cherry picking, so here’s a decent range of standard defensive stats for this season so far between Sokratis (1749 mins) and Mustafi (1987 mins) is right here: (No one is saying this is the full and only picture)

My point was never about arguing Moose and Sokratis are “more/less equal in quality and reliability” but rather challenging the idea that Sokratis is one of the best CB’s in the league when he compares poorly to our worse CB. They’re both nothing special

Mustafi was a trendy foreigner.

1 Like

I don’t think most are saying Sokratis are “one of the best in the league” though… he has been in the conversation for top 10-15 (which frankly isn’t saying much) lately (other than his stupid red against Rennes).

You made the point that staying with either is more/less equivalent in terms of outcomes, which I think is very wrong. How many “special” CB are in the Premier League right now? Less than 5 probably. Anyway, Sokratis is imho our best CB going into next season - again, that isn’t saying much, but imho I would trust him well above Moose next year.

With a World Cup winners medal around his neck aswell…

:grimacing:

someone phone Leicester quick!

You’re paying a premium for someone like Maguire for a reason. He’s experienced, knows the league, is young and has an athletic build. Not to mention he can play with the ball at his feet and contribute from set pieces.

Now I have no problem with buying a foreign centre back if it’s someone like De Ligt or Koulibaly. But if we want to compete for the title next season we need someone who can come in and make an instant impact. We saw with Paulista that a centre back who can barely speak English had trouble adapting.

People said VVD wasnt worth what Liverpool paid, that no defender was. They were wrong.

2 Likes

Bwahahaha you’re pushing with. How about a stat to explain all of this

and here’s a video of our defensive errors this season

Note how many times Mustafi is at fault for not marking his man or making errors. No major faults in this vid from Sokratis

If we can get him I wouldn’t be against it tbh he would cost a lot of money though as isn’t any where near VvD’s level

Seen this a few times now, when people can’t make proper points they just post lowlights vids. No one is arguing Mustafi isn’t a walking disasterclass, I don’t see the point in posting a vid of his worse moments, it’s not even relevant to the discussion at hand

The second video is pretty embarrassing to watch as a Arsenal fan, the snippets are small but it just highlights how big a personnel/Tactical issue we have in midfield and defence. Sokratis will not a be a key piece moving forward

Not that it means much, At 3:00 Sokratis is majorly at fault. Instead of flapping his arms for an offside call after falling to handle the falling ball he needed to play to the whistle

1 Like

Maguire is overrated, just like his asking price.

1 Like

Surely you jest? The goal you’re highlight shows Mustafi literally assisting the United player and the only fault you can find is from Sokratis not winning the initial 50-50?

And yes mistakes that lead to opposition chances is the most important stat, which isn’t shown up in any of your stats. Mustafi is incredibly error prone, Sokratis isn’t

Not surprised with Mustafi’s stats.
I tell you this much @sevchenko , Mustafi, ability-wise, is a fantastic talent. Said it many times he could become one of the best centre-backs in the world, under sone proper training and management. The issue with him is his composure. You can play it from the back, make all the blocks, all the tackles, all the aerial duels you want but if you can’t help yourself making the odd mistakes(as a CB no less) that costs the side to concede a massive chances then you pretty much threw all the positives to the bin.
Always compared him with Ramos.
Sergio Ramos, ability-wise, is for me the most talented CB I’ve ever seen. The thing with that guy is that he is an absolute donkey. Can’t help himself overdoing it with roughing up his opponents, conceding unnecessary fouls for no reason, allways trying to play the hero, bombarding forward leaving the team way open for a counter.
For what it’s worth, it’s a La Liga thing. Defenders there like to press high and risk getting an early interception/tackle in. Monreal is the same but he learned not to overdo it.

We should try for Nathan Ake as a back CB and sought out for a top quality one thereafter.

2 Likes

Tbf, I wouldn’t push for a top, top, CB right now. Off the top of my head, Utd, Arsenal, City and Madrid(surely there are some that I forgot) are definitely going after a CB this summer. Koulibaly and De Ligt surely the two guys most teams will go for. Skriniar is a tough one. Leicester will definitely ask a fortune for Maguire. And then there’s Manolas who seems like the leftover. I really don’t want us to go for the leftovers and get another overpriced trouble in the team.
Wouldn’t mind signing an experienced CB under 29 and look into it again in 2020. We can loan Mavro and give Chambers a run as backup.

1 Like

Btw, a player that comes to mind is Nacho Fernandez from Madrid. His contract is expiring next year. He can play at every position in defence. I think he can be a great asset.

I would sooner go on the actual evidence for how the two players actually perform on the pitch…I go to every home game at the Emirates and would back Sokratis every time over error prone Mustafi.

Sokratis is our best CB and has been an excellent signing for us given the relatively cheap transfer fee. Mustafi needs to be the first one out of the door this summer…

cc

Yeah read your reply…still disagree…there is no competition between Sokratis and Mustafi…Mustafi is error prone and needs to be shown the door in the summer…

I’m sorry @sevchenko ur my homeboy but, this should tell u all u need to know:

Mustafi = Stat DNA signing :joy::joy:

Sokratis = Diamond Eye Sven signing 🖒🖒🖒

4 Likes