Steve Bould

I can remember watching Steve Bould score a great looping header for us against ?Milwall? In the 1988/89 season.

Not sure what it adds to the argument, but still…

2 Likes

What do people expect Bould to do ? Did Pat Rice always get what does he do?!?! thrown at him aswell?

Does anyone remember when Steve Bould wasn"t bald? He was good back then, too

His job? Seems like he is nicking a living at the moment! And with Carcedo there he is even more irrelevant. Shame really as he had a good reputation when he worked with the U18s. Unless his job is to lay out the cones, in which case he’s doing a great job – they always look neat in pictures.

1 Like

When was the last time Steve Bold played in the Prem? It’s time to move to someone more in touch with today’s game

Something that benefits the team on the pitch? Carcedo is barely out the gates and our defensive (and offensive?) set piece record has been very good, so it’s not an issue of position.

Is there anything to suggest Bould is even a good coach, never mind a defensive one? I haven’t heard anything about his influence. Hardly like the apparent influence Keown had on our CL run in 05-06.

We have to admit there was a period during the Wenger years where we were crying for ‘Arsenal Lads’ to be the backroom staff to help with the mentality at the club (Projection), perhaps we just overlooked Bould on that basis and ignored whether he was contributing?

2 Likes

He may simply have been kept with a new manager as a voice for the players and manager to trust in passing ideas and understanding. Trust thing really.

Saying Bould should fix our defence just because he’s Bould is like saying Henry should have fixed Monaco’s attack because he’s Henry.

I wonder if other clubs fans give a toss who their coaches and assistants are. I can’t say I remember any fan talking about anyone other than their manager.

It’s interesting he was kept on though. I doubt he had any kind of relationship with Emery, so maybe that was just Ivan’s work.

1 Like

Who says he’s being ignored? Maybe he has input and just isn’t very good. Got to consider that option, because being a decent defender in your playing days doesn’t mean you’re a good coach fifteen to twenty years later.

Maybe hes just a shit coach :thinking:

1 Like

Think theres a few teams fans buy into this. Chelsea with Zola, Everton with Duncan Ferguson and United bringing Phelan back.
Its one of them things fans put faith in, basing it on the player knowing the club and all that. Its a hit and miss blind faith sort of thing.
Happening up the food line now with united and can be assured A section of Chelsea and Liverpool fans will have dreams of Lampard and Gerrard taking over their clubs sometime soon.

Whilst Bould has been in this position have any of our defenders improved ? I suppose you’d say Holding ? Time to fuck him off, he’s been here long enough.

Maybe he is crap coach-wise, but the club keeps him on.

I used the word ‘seemingly’ because that’s all us plebs can deduce from what we see - reasonably enough if, like me, you live 6,000 miles away. We’re not down on the bench alongside them.

1 Like

Do they keep him on because he looks like the kind of person you don’t want an argument with ?

He doesnt argue though.

1 Like

That’s because he looks like the type of person you don’t want an argument with.

1 Like

Allegedly he’s quite a good coach according to my friend who used to work at the club. The issue in the Wenger day’s was that Wenger took nearly all the training and wouldn’t let Bould do much of the coaching as a result. So he just became a yes man with limited use.

I’m not sure how Emery uses him although I guess the fact Bould is still there suggests Emery and Sanhelli think he’s got some use in him.

Even so it’s hard for us fans to see what he does either way.

2 Likes

Bouldy is a top bloke .
Loved to watch him and Adams command the defence , I wish Bouldy all the best in his development with the players and indeed his work at this club .

2 Likes

Its a really different dynamic being a manager as opposed to just a coach and it’s not clear that Bould ever made that transition successfully. Partly because he was restricted by the managers he worked under you would have to think. Be interesting to see how Freddie makes the transition. Hopefully Bouldy has loads of success in his new role.

7 Likes