Kroenke Sports & Entertainment (KSE)

Liverpool were able to sell Coutinho for 130m and that’s what has helped build this side they currently have. We don’t currently have the luxury of doing that. I don’t disagree that we have been terribly managed though, just the other day I posted this.

Theres enough in there to support your point that we could be way more competitive if we were a lot more strategic, but imo that’s still not going to make up the difference. Last summer we were able to spend 70m on 5 players, and this is about what many of our rivals spend on one now.

The longer we are out of the CL, the less and less Kroenke will spend and at some point it actually needs to be the opposite case; we are going to have to chase our losses. I don’t think he’s the kind of owner who will, from what I’ve seen so far.

1 Like

even without europe money we have more than enough to sort this squad out in time, but it will take time because we basically have fuck all assets because of the poor poor signings of wenger and gazidis but with more and more partnerships and massive deals coming through we should get somewhere even without an injection of money. People also forget we have a lot of money also sitting in the bank on top of this so an overhaul should be started quite easily in the summer. The whole squad…fuck no but we should be getting at least some decent quality coming in and it seems that Raul etc are doing stuff for the summer already as it sounds they are talking to Carassco etc. Have to wait and see how it unfolds but its gonna take years to sort this shit out.

The two biggest liars at the club were Gazidis and Wenger so at least they’re gone.
But we’re stuck with a board that are clearly never going to compete with the likes of Chelsea, Man U, Man City and even more embarrassing, Liverpool.
If the board really think we can compete with them then they are either delude, stupid or like you say, liars.
My money is on all three, but mainly the third option.

He’s richer than Abramovich, why does he need dividends from a football club?

1 Like

because he is a greedy fucktard, its on record he was pushing for divdends thats the only reason for it. Look at what has happened to Abramovich though and Usmanov is of that ilk i wonder if he would also be getting the same treatment.

The difference is that Chelsea were within a season of going broke and Abramovich had to invest billions of his own money to make it successful.
Also, Chelsea were about the fourth biggest London club, and we are the biggest.
We don’t need anywhere near the investment that they did.

1 Like

This is really overblown. He said it ten years ago as a way to try and force an issue and get himself some press.

still was asked for though wasnt it, he was the only person asking for it

There is a difference between him investing his own money, and him allowing the pile of cash that this club has sat on for the past 5-10 years to be spent.

I think there was a time under Kronke where Arsenal had more actual money than the rest of the PL combined.

The only question is whether it was him demanding it not be spent.

1 Like

Sure but if you can’t understand the reasons why it’s just being obtuse tbh.

Rather they were probably magnificent at working under the conditions they had to work under, because

Is the issue. It wasn’t back in 2006 when the PL went from having two top teams (Man Utd and Arsenal) to 3 (Chelsea started buying their way in), getting top 4 and the income that the CL generated with it wasn’t as hard, you had to fend off Liverpool and perhaps scum or Everton or who knows, which the Wenger and the Gazidis did well even with little money. The issue came in 2008 when City was bought and they started pumping dumb money into their club, which coincidentally was when we had started a stadium project and Kroenke had joined the board and become the majority holder.

The fact that competition for top 4 just became a lot harder and we were building a stadium at the same time, that’s when we needed money to stay in the bus and not have our squad quality erode and that money was not and never will be managed by people in track suits who stand on a pitch at 7 in the morning with a whistle in their mouths.

The fact that we still managed to stay in top 4 always beating one or two of the above mentioned or any one-year-wonder club was again pretty remarkable work by the W and the G. I don’t mind thinking player deals we made were not always great at the time but no club’s is, and you need to remember the numbers we threw at players. These were our top transfer expenses from the time City got bought to when we declared the stadium done and bought Özil:

Eduardo, Sagna, Arshavin, Nasri, Koscielny, Ox, Gervinho, Arteta, Mert, Giroud, Podolski, Cazorla. All cost between £8-£18m.

This was at a time when top transfers that other top clubs made were in the region of £40-50m (excluding the odd C.Ronaldo transfer). So to say we were poor in business at that time is not true, average those buys and they’re pretty phenomenal bang for the buck. Not always great, but pretty good, clubs have done far worse.

This is the case :sweat_smile: They should’ve invested earlier. We need to consider the effect of not spending more than perhaps on average £12m on your top targets for say 6 years or w/e will drastically reduce the quality in a squad as players come, go and retire. To then take that squad and begin rebuilding it with ready-made quality players is an immense struggle. Whether you like Wenger and Emery they’re in the same boat, they both “inherited” if you will, a squad that ran on peanuts, not compared to the general football club, but compared to the money that Chelsea, United and City pushed in during the last 10 years.

Talking about Gazidis not knowing how to run a football club which is correct by the way, but Emery was still his appointment so we’re not completely rid of him until we get our next manager.

1 Like

His Rams are on their way to the Super Bowl and they are giving big contracts to any good player they can get their hands on. Kroenke’s biggest sin is he probably isn’t all that familiar with the sport. I think all of the issues with his ownership stem from this.

I think you’re on to something. His biggest issue might be misunderstanding the soccer ecosystem. All USA sports leagues are closed systems. You might lose money while you own the team but you’re almost always guaranteed to make a boatload when you sell the team. There are exceptions, like Donald Sterling, but he was forced to sell the Clippers after being caught saying super racist things on tape.

I’ve had concerns that even though Stan’s typical MO is to appoint people and let them work, that the people he’s appointed in the past weren’t exactly willing to take cues from other American ownership groups. I know Man U fans hate the Glazers but they have spent an awful lot of money on players. FSG was really aggressive in their pursuit of Klopp and have made big moves in terms of reinvesting. (They’ve also had the benefit of selling two players to Barcelona for insane money, but whatever)

I really don’t know that Stan appreciates how quickly Arsenal can fade into mediocrity. There are so many other teams in London and so many other things to do that are fun or touristy. I know folks don’t like the club being propped up as a tourist attraction but it’s 2019, get over it. Arsenal has fans in other countries and we are everywhere and we want to come visit. Stan is at risk of losing that next generation of foreign fans to Chelsea and Spurs. I really don’t think he appreciates that.

7 Likes

It depends how long he’s in the game for. 2.5 years ago Liverpool were mediocrity. If he’s the owner for another 20 years we won’t be 6th for all those years. We’ll get lucky with a coach and players combination at some stage too.

1 Like

That’s a great summation of the law of averages. Google tends to agree.

:grin:

3 Likes

These are not great examples of forward thinking ownership

Is it really just the money thing like is mentioned in the second paragraph of the quote? Sure Arsenal were a bit handicapped. But was not replacing Flamini and the injured Rosicky a mere money thing? By giving Fabregas all the freedom in summer '09 fundamental defensive shortcomings were created too.

I think the transition from Invincibles to Post-Invincibles was actually something he did rather smoothly. That team was already six years together after that CL-final. The goalkeeper situation was just one of the things that was fucked up and never really solved.

I just feel like some shit decisions were made between 2008 and 2011. I’m not sure that is simply a money thing.

Money issue due to shit decisions.

They had money but not willing to spend.
There were players out there but claiming no good quality in the market (not even gave a damn try)

Here’s some journalist who sees it the way I always saw it.

It’s all very well saying we’re out of the CL so we aren’t getting as much revenue, but we’re out of the CL because of a lack of investment in key positions.

In the transfer windows where we did nothing, apart from sell players or buy just a GK, maybe Kroenke could have put some of his own money into his investment rather than having it sitting in his bank account.

Also, it was Kroenke’s decision to hang on to Wenger for several seasons too many, which set us even further back.

Arsenal football club, always pleading poverty while claiming “we aren’t afraid to spend” “we can compete with all our rivals” “we are only interested in super quality.”

Make your mind up.
Which one are we?

5 Likes