Squad Management

It’s going to be out fucking first choice selection Lelelel

1 Like

So;

Ozil, Mustafi, Sokratis and Kolasinac all out in this window.

Amazing.

In terms of outgoings it’s been a decent window. Even the incoming sign hasn’t been too bad with two excellent loan signings.

All in all I still do think the behind the scenes work isn’t as bad as it’s made out to be. It’s the on pitch management by Arteta that’s shit.

4 Likes

Classic Arsenal to have an injury crisis now.

3 Likes

The outgoings are terminated contracts, so we don’t deserve credit for that. We won’t have saved money out of it. Just shows what a ridiculous state the squad was in going into the season. Looking less bloated now at least.

9 Likes

All in all this wasn’t a good window. Most of the terminations(Papa, Ozil, Mustafi) were guys who were gone anyway. I guess getting out the bad apples was worth it though?

Willock, Kolasinac and Maitland-Niles are not necessarily outgoings to help the club. They’re moves to help the individuals get weekly game time. We’ll see if that pays off by raising their value but at the moment these moves weaken our depth.

As for incomings, Ryan is a solid backup keeper. Odegaard is an underwhelming incoming for me as he didn’t have the best of times at Madrid and essentially comes here to regain his form. Doesn’t fill me with excitement.
ESR emergence definitely softens the blow though.

3 Likes

Where almost at the stage of transition now. That’s Wenger,/Gazidis mess almost tidied up. Just on wether we needed a new manager or stick with Arteta for next season.
Needs too show the direction we are following between now and the end of the season.
Norwegian kid is the be all or end all for him imo.

4 Likes

Yeah gotta disagree here this is a terrible fucking window. It highlights Mikels inability to be a man manager. Had to get rid of a bunch of decent squad depth just to try and wrest control back from the dressing room? That’s okay I guess because most of these doods were leaving in the summer anyways, but that’s Arsenal nowadays right gotta fuck off these contracts to save every pound we can. And we still made 0 in sales lmaoo fucking shitters.

Ozil and Kola should have had a part to play here especially with Tierney’s injury history and ESR is a young player who needs to be protected. Odegaard is here now to help.with that but we were put into a massive hole because we had a limp dick attack which Özil would have clearly helped with.

Anyways you can’t expect too much from the club atm in all honesty, we’ve been through too many different decision makers consecutively that there really does have to be a mass clear out of players who don’t fit in to the plans of the future.

4 Likes

Willock needed to go for Odegaard. The squad got way too bloated. Willock doesn’t have any future here anyway.

Maitland-Niles isn’t needed for depth. Bellerin, Soares, Partey, Ceballos, Xhaka, Elneny. Six players for the four positions he plays. The mistake is that we kept him in the summer. You can only make a case for Kolasinac as back up. But Soares and Mari can probably fill in as left backs. The depth isn’t weakened at all.

I think that’s a generic take on their utilities as players.

Willock, Maitland-Niles are the only players than can carry the ball from deep alongside Partey. That’s gone.
Partey has been on and off with injuries so far. What happens if he gets injured? Back to the magic trio of Xhaka, Elneny and Ceballos.

Cedric and moreso Bellerin aren’t particularly good at defending. Was very evident against Southampton. Worrying about my hearth condition having them defend a lead later on in the season.

Generic take :joy:.

Bruh. You can project all your fantasies and delusions on this squad, but just look at the facts. Willock and Maitland-Niles have not, or very rarely, been used. It doesn’t make sense to carry them further, because the manager, right or wrongly, doesn’t use them. Trimming the squad, even for the short team so that they don’t train with 40 players, just make sense.

1 Like

If Arsenal can’t get CL football this season we’re better off giving the job to Allegri to further the rebuild. That’s even if he’s still available

2 Likes

A lot of the outgoings should have happened over the summer so while I’m happy to see them, its hard to give too much credit for them

I think both the incomings (Ryan, Odegaard) were great deals given the financial constraints we have right now.

This summer looks like a massive window for us, as we should be able to generate a fair amount from player sales even if the market is depressed. Between Willock, Maitland-Niles, Guendouzi, Torreira, Lacazette, maybe Nelson, maybe Pepe we will have a lot of players to sell that actually have some value, mostly because they’re pretty young and not on stupid wages. Fees will likely still be depressed due to Covid, but we could still be looking at 80-100m in sales depending on who goes. So if the Kroenkes are willing to sanction a small positive net spend, we could be looking at 100m+ in purchases, maybe 3-4 players and a couple of them relatively big buys. We absolutely need to get those right.

I’m not sure Edu is the right man for that job but unless the club just implodes on the pitch over the next couple months I don’t see anybody else walking through that door. Hope for the best I guess.

1 Like

The proof is there for you to see. Just as we got rid of Kola, Tierney started having problems.
The games are already racking up and it’s taking a toll on the squad with recent injuries.
Expect our players to pick more injuries with the tough run of games up ahead.
Don’t forget soon we’ll have to juggle with EL and the PL too.

1 Like

Indeed. Partey was injured and how many minutes did Maitland-Niles get on the midfield? That was not suddenly going to change. Again. Having 30 - 35 players around just doesn’t make sense.

It was 40, now it’s 30-35, better decide on a number.
We have 28 players now. It will be 25 after Mustafi, Willock and AMN leave.

A specific group of them have been racking up games all season. Take into account there are multiple injury prone players in there. Don’t forget to also consider when the last season ended and when this season started.

I’m sure you’ve been following this club long enough to know how bad this can end up.

Like whom? Tierney and Bellerin?

Btw everyone who says Maitland-Niles was so good as a back, his best games came in that 3-4-3 as an outside midfielder. That is different than defending in a 4-2-3-1.

Of course 40 was a hyperbole…but I’m sure we have a few youngsters training with the first team. I reackon if we keep everybody that number of 30 - 35 isn’t far off.

I don’t know how this can be called as a “good” window.
Yes, we get rid of the players that we don’t want, but we are also talking about millions of dollars that we could have received, if handled the situation better.
The players and money, all gone.

2 Likes

I won’t make too much lots of terminated contracts and loan deals.

The summer transfer window is absolutely massive, we need to have a really good one. Need a CB, no 2 keeper, back up LB, partner for Partey and hybrid 10 / winger.

4 Likes

I hope Garlick and Edu are already working on moving some of these bums out in the summer.

Add to this Laca, El Neny, Chambers and Eddie will all only have a year left on their contracts so we need to stick or twist there.

I’d easily go for selling everyone on this list.

Two loans expiring too.

So many decisions to make.

3 Likes

Yep, yep. We also have a bunch of other youngsters on loan like Medley, Smith, Osei-Tutu, etc.

Delaying the inevitable. Good luck trying to move all those guys on a permanent and also trying to bring other players in.