Site Feedback

LOL

1 Like

Think we are losing members with all this stuff going on lads.
Lot of people enjoy discussing with people on both sides of this argument. Way itā€™s going think some people feel compromised in posting now. Some people havenā€™t been as active for awhile either. Sort it out eh.

8 Likes

This essentially means more moderating. Is that what people really want?

2 Likes

Yes. We love Big Brother. Freedom is slavery.

1 Like

Does it really. It was just a generalisation for a rethink.

1 Like

Open to any other suggestions you might have.

Just push for any discussion like this to go private more or less straight away instead of it becoming a soap opera.

4 Likes

We need new members. Current bunch know each other too much and things get personal quickly.

4 Likes

I often do or delete posts even and then the cheerleading squad tell me Iā€™m an overbearing cunt and get off on my power trip of being a mod. :man_shrugging:

Whether people like what he said or not there is a huge degree of truth in what Calum said. Without BW and ACM this last week there has been a noticable reduction in the antagonism etc around here. It tells a story for me.

I blame the AKBs keeping fresh blood from coming in. :sunglasses:

1 Like

Au Contrar, owing to Emery & Artetaā€™s efforts, we have more AKB now than ever before

1 Like

This 100%, Iā€™m not saying either side is right or wrong but you essentially have two social groups that donā€™t like each other, one with the power to ban the other and itā€™s eventually going to poison the board.

A forum only survives as long as the people on it so we absolutely need more regular members and less moderators. I feel like bans - whether I like the person or not- are always carried out with some personal grievance at play. It really shouldnā€™t be that way and itā€™s a slippery slope for the longevity of any online platform.

The last thing you want is this place turning into an echo chamber like Reddit. Itā€™s only going to get worse too if we keep going on like this.

7 Likes

Sorry but this is absolute bollocks. Weā€™ve actively had mods step out of banning decisions for this exact reason lots of times. Obviously we have a mod area and itā€™s private for a reason so the rest of the board doesnā€™t know this stuff but i assure you, it happens.

Even with BW latest ban, I asked him three or four times to stop posting what he was posting and when he refused then I banned him. If I was just acting because I donā€™t like his posting style (I donā€™t) why would I have bothered trying to be reasonable?

2 Likes

Thereā€™s clearly a significant portion of the forum who feel otherwise though or else this wouldnā€™t be a talking point. Youā€™re welcome to ignore it, it honestly doesnā€™t bother nor affect me but at the end of the day itā€™s a real thing and itā€™s going to affect the quality of the board negatively as time goes on. You could say it already is.

4 Likes

No itā€™s not, @castiel is spot on.

Iā€™ve been banned for a personal grievance.

1 Like

They have responsibility too but nobody seems to want to acknowledge that.

1 Like

I donā€™t believe bans were made in bad faith. I see sense in each of them.

I just think we are not behaving like adults or taking things on chin as much.

At risk of bigging myself, look at @JakeyBoy and I.
We have argued for a whole decade and crossed the line multiple times and couple of days later we are cool.

We are men. Be us. Be men.

3 Likes

A lot of people think that the earth is flat but that doesnā€™t mean that they arenā€™t fucking idiots.

Also who says itā€™s a significant portion and not just the same few people making all the noise.

If bans were motivated by personal grievances theyā€™d be permanent, so we didnā€™t have to deal with the person when they return in a day/week/whatever.

The bans are evidently motivated by the way people behave, and are given out reluctantly. If they were given out simply because we didnā€™t like people theyā€™d be far more frequent and lengthier/permanent. If I were to ban people cos I didnā€™t like them youā€™d see people getting banned who havenā€™t put a toe out of line at at point on OA.

How many moderators would be appropriate for a forum of this size then, Iā€™m honestly curious, and what improvements would you expect to see if we cut that number down? Because I donā€™t think people are magically going to get along better if we stop being moderators.

If itā€™ll help Iā€™ll resign my position immediately, seems a thankless task these days anyway and all you get out of it is agg lol.

Though I would lose the power to ban people according to my personal grievances, and Iā€™d really miss being able to do thatā€¦

I agree this whole thing is negatively affecting the board though, Iā€™m not having any fun.

4 Likes

Yall are giving BW the attention he cravesssss

Personally Iā€™d like whatever issue there is to be resolved because itā€™s really annoying seeing this beef find its way into many sections of the forum and the insults is an unnecessary element of nastiness we could all do without. I donā€™t personally post just to see some petty feud between posters, especially adults. If there is a way to bury this hatchet itā€™d be greatly appreciated, from everyone. I think a few other posters would appreciate it too just on the off chance OA is their form of escapism especially they are mentally struggling to handle the pandemic.

Also again speaking from myself, as someone who ate a ban from the late TA#6 (Thereā€™s a name you donā€™t hear much) I donā€™t really have a problem with the moderation. Iā€™ve been on many message boards (Much more populated than OA, not better though) where there is much more heavy-handed approach to moderation (Much more frequent perma bans to resolve issues) or what is much worse very rigid rules. (Breaking swear filter, yes this is seriously a thing).

Iā€™ve never liked perma bans in most situations and that OA is very reluctant to issue them is a positive in my view. In fact that you can discuss bans here in public discourse is a also a positive. Because itā€™s pretty normal that you canā€™t discuss bans at all with the moderation team (Got banned from a few discord servers like that :roll_eyes:) and you know what those posters just get on with those garbage conditions. I donā€™t think we should ruin a good thing we have going because forums as a whole are struggling and bulletin boards like reddit and social media spaces like twitter are the places to be. Except those fucking suck.

Anyway I hope the matter can get resolved because I actually like the homie atmosphere here, itā€™s one of the places strengths and makes it stand out.

Now in regards BigWeng himselfā€¦LELELEL you smoked out af homie.

12 Likes