Site Feedback

Is there a way to have pages in threads rather than a long list?

Unfortunately not, and imo this is the main downside with this software. The person who created Discourse doesn’t believe in posts per page or anything like that. Which is silly imo. Should’ve done it in a way where you have a choice of having to scroll or have posts per page, not just limited to one thing.

If that’s the case, wouldn’t it be better to then use less megathreads?

2 Likes

I think the navigation thingy on the right works far better than pagination. Page numbers is over. We gotta move forward!

1 Like

It doesn’t take much getting used to in fairness. Especially as you’re always brought to your most recently read post when you click into the thread and the navigation is sooooo smooth.

The whole software is based on conversation rather than traditional forum. Being a football based community, it lends itself well I think, like banter down the pub.

I like no page numbers. Means you don’t have to click the next page to continue reading. Embrace the future lads :wink:

Give it a few months and people will want page numbers for the Wenger thread :wenger:

2 Likes

Definitely going to take some getting used to. I liked vBulletin, but hey I’m not against change. Going to mess around more this week to navigate easier, but as long as the community and members transfer over to this it’ll be great like it was and continue to be!

Sign a striker VENGA!

2 Likes

[quote=“LoTheGooner, post:69, topic:142, full:true”]
Definitely going to take some getting used to. I liked vBulletin, but hey I’m not against change. Going to mess around more this week to navigate easier, but as long as the community and members transfer over to this it’ll be great like it was and continue to be!

Sign a striker VENGA!
[/quote]Good to see you here buddy! Majority of the work is done but still a couple of things here and there to the appearance and functions and then we’re fully sorted, but so far I think we’ve managed to do a good job to the site :slight_smile:

Just FYI, had this issue for a few weeks and was initally happening on the old site and continued on this (same domain and all).

Would hate to think it’s putting people off from potentially joining. Using Chrome by the way.

It’s still an issue unfortunately if you’re using Chrome as it all stems from Google blocking the old site. But once VBulletin is deleted, that should allow us to get Google to finally take us off the Philising list and for these messages to go.

1 Like

Hi there! I just joined again as my user didn’t seem to work with the new Forum. Just to let you know I’m still receiving the “Deceptive Site” warning using Firefox and the “Home” link still redirects to the warning.

Happy to be on the forum again, looking good! Will take time to get used to the new UI but I’m sure I’ll get there.

Cheers to the mods and all the people who worked hard to get this up and running!! You did work hard right? :henry2:

1 Like

@Mysty @Bl1nk

You know when you type in online arsenal or online arsenal forums into google every other arsenal forum comes up except this one?

It’s probably the phishing alert.

Yeah google are fucking cunts!

I’d imagine with no page system to kind of organise the threads a bit, megathreads will certainly be a thing of the past.

I see this more of a massive whatsapp group now rather than a forum. Taking nothing away, its clean and crisp, fast and easy to use; but I feel good discussions are going to be much harder to track now.

Not being a debbie downer here, just saying how I see it. I can imagine the hardwork thats gone on behind the scenes to create this new place for us all, and its greatly appreciated. I just feel its like how its when we moved from Highbury to Emirates and Arsenal lost their soul a bit.

2 Likes

Funnily enough @Calum said the other day on MDC that it was like moving from Highbury to the Emirates as well @Midfield_Maestro .

But absolutely appreicate your honest opinion and feedback. It’s a big unknown and risk how much everyone will take to such a drastic change. It’s a tricky balance of keeping the core members happy while hoping to attract new ones as well, something that sadly doesn’t happen anymore on the old site, so we had to make the change otherwise OA was in real danger of dying out. VBulletin long term just wasn’t a viable option anymore.

I guess we just have to hope with the main core of the members still here, we’ll still get the indepth conversations and debates. I hope we do anyways.

It’s like I said to @Castiel in another post, it would’ve been great to keep VBulletin as I’m going to miss it a lot too, but unfortunately their next version is very poor and now as you know the current one is running into a lot of problems now to the point it’s becoming unmanageable, so I guess if we weren’t changing now, it probably would’ve happened eventually down the line.

The next few months are going to be a great unknown but let’s hope it’ll still continue to be a great place to come and hang out :slight_smile:

I see what youre saying MM but to me the soul of this place has always been the members so as long as we keep that strong I think we’ll be good. :slight_smile:

MM, thank you for the honest opinion. I just wanted to let you know that I have archived every bit of history and you will be able to view it anytime from a link I will be creating above on this forum. So although we are losing vbulletin we certainly are not removing 13 years of post history. We had to make the move due to Vbulletin being just, well, shit!

Added to that Google are now making sites who use old Vbulletin software unsafe to use, thus the message everyone is getting at the moment. Furthermore, VB is easy to hack and has caused us problems in the past with brute force attacks making the site unresponsive.

I did a review of various different forum software, this is free, it is made by a community of discussion based gurus and I personally think given time it will be a massive improvement to the site and the community. We are constantly finding out stuff we can do here to make the community interact better.

Anyway thank you for the kind words regarding the hard work that has been put in, it’s appreciated.

Cheers
Shill

8 Likes