Serge Gnabry

hope h4 signs a contract then goes on loan

Not sure if you read this before, but that’s exactly what Kicker is reporting. It seems Bremen have a deal with Bayern that Bayern will cover the fee and depending on how well he does can buy him.

All speculation of course, but would seem reasonable given that he’s willing to join Bremen.

source in German is here

Botched the fuck out of it. We’ll regret it. Iwobi is very good, and I can see him having a very good career, but Gnabry has more upside. Probably the same with Willock.

1 Like

Big call to make, based on the small amount you’ve seen both of Gnabry and Iwobi?

I just feel that Gnabry has it all, and the only thing that can stop him is work ethic or fitness issues. I always remarked throughout his times with the youths that he has a gift, a bit like Özil, for doing always the right thing in the final third. It’s a rare gift. I think if he gets a chance and puts it together he’s got an end product que flipas. Add that to the fact that he is explosive again (this is obvious from watching him in the Olympics), he’s got the natural gifts…and I see him, jokes aside, as the fat Kingsley Coman for Bayern.

Iwobi is a case of Wenger doing a very impressive job identifying a talent who really didn’t look like one with the youths–wouldn’t be surprised if this is part of the reason (major ego boost for Arsène) he’s become the favoured boy–but I worry a bit like Ramsey some of the limitations in his technique will catch up with him long-term when he cools off. That said, I’m confident Iwobi will have a much better career than Ramsey, his limitations are much less than Ramsey’s, that isn’t the best analogy but the one that came to my head. My mate sent me one of these graphs from statsbomb on Iwobi from last season and it’s really fantastic. But FFS, why couldn’t we keep both? Especially because they are quite different players, they really could’ve complimented each other. Above all, why keep Ox when Gnabry is loads better than him.

Sad to see him go. He looked excellent at the olympics and i think he could of done a job for us

It’s just a pet peeve of mine and I wouldn’t mind seeing it removed from transfers, to me it’s not much different than third party ownership which is also a little exploitative. While I don’t disagree with what you’ve said you have to understand that a young player linked with a big club is under a sort of obligation/pressure at that point in his career where the immediate success may be detrimental to his development?

https://twitter.com/afcstuff/status/770957849241550848

We made €5m off him

:facepalm:

Fantastic work Dick.

1 Like

5 million quid hahahahaha, thats like 800k in a normal market.

But we can use the money to buy Daniel Sturridge! Good business that.

€5m?

That is a dreadful price even with 1 year left on his contract.

Hopefully we don’t end up regretting this one but wish him all the best, hopefully he fulfills his obvious potential.

A buy-back is no guarantee he will return to us but I’m still desperately holding out that we have one in place.

Lol, according to Kicker Bayern have an option to buy him for €6m, no mention of a buy back clause for us.

Good business that.

Good riddance. Might as well cash in on the crock before he goes on a free. Dont have too many frankfurters out there, Serge.

Fucking pisstake. We’ll be watching Ox’s no quality act for the next couple years while this guy arrives at Bayern and succeeds. Another bad management of a contract costing us. And another time not being bold enough after that fact and giving in to an embarrassing deal.

2 Likes

So Shitelade and lolcott stays at our club whilst Campbell and Gnabry are essentially booted out? Fuck sake, this club is blind sometimes.

Arsene loves Ox. Maybe he wasn’t impressed with the loan Gnabry had at WBA which was such a bizarre move in the first place.

Not really much we can do. Bayern come calling and a German player is off. It’s a shame, but what you want to do.

Questions have to be asked though why we often pick piss poor loan options for the youth players to develop and why the club didn’t extend his contract a couple months earlier.

It was obvious he was never going to succeed here when we loaned him out to play under Tony Pulis. Apart from game time, which he didn’t even get, what did we expect him to learn?