Semantics debate about what a 10 is

Can’t include him in my list in good faith for the same reasons as Lotthaus but throwing him onto the overall list for consideration.

@CliftonGeraldi put Kante but not having Matuidi in that company haha.

2 Likes

Totti is not a CM. Period

4 Likes

Fine with me haha, as I said, I leave that up to you guys, it’s the one that struck me as a little murky definitionally, whereas Özil, Silva, Iniesta, Di María feel clear to me.

If anyone is motivated to do a best number 10s of the last 10-20 years… there’s where you want to have Totti.
But let’s be professional. This is not some tabloid list or whatever… :kroenke: (I’m drunk atm, oh yeah)

2 Likes

Also am I being overly biased by saying Gilberto Silva deserves to be in that list? I know for us Gooners it’s easy for us to bang on about but he was stupidly underrated given what he achieved.

I think if Kante is on it then Gilberto Silva should be on it, yeah.

A name that doesn’t get enough recognition, or maybe he does in Italy/Milan, is Demetrio Albertini. He was maybe even better than Pirlo @Gio @SRCJJ?
Davids should be on the list too. Didier Deschamps also has an incredible cv.

4 Likes

Davids!! And Deschamps. Knew I was forgetting some important ones. Davids or Sneijder I might put on my 15.

1 Like

Aaron Ramsey

3 Likes

:fishing_pole_and_fish:

You nearly got me with that one brother.

3 Likes

Cambiasso deserves a mention if he isn’t on the original list.

1 Like

Haha.

Ok question. Was Ambrosini ever that good? Every time I watched him, he looked slow and always seemed to be a bit overrun. Kind of like a better Xhaka.

But then maybe I just watched him when he was old.

This thread inspired a YouTube search for Clarence Seedorf :ok_hand:t3:

1 Like

Ambrosini was a good and reliable midfielder. I think he ticked along well with Seedorf, Gattuso, Pirlo playing around him. Sort of like the forgotten man in that midfield (and rightly so because he was never as good).

A very reliable workhorse and much better than Xhaka because he could actually move around and get from box to box.

2 Likes

Amazing player. Always good to refresh your memory of just how good he was.

Ambrosini was a decent player, but definitely not among the elite we’re discussing here.

3 Likes

Of course. A workhorse who complimented the three great midfielders he played with but never an elite level.

1 Like

Santi Cazorla.

Guti was a silky bastard though more of an attacking midfielder.

Rakitic should also be in the conversation

2 Likes

Players like Alonso and Seedorf were class and it was a shame we missed out on signing Alonso as he was exactly what we needed.
In the PL, Gerrard, Makelele, Keane, Scholes and Kante have all been very effective in that position.

For us, it would be Vieira who, with Petit, were about the best CM partnership I’ve seen in the PL and Cesc as well.
As @CliftonGeraldi said, you have to include Gilberto, as he was one of the most important defensive players in the Invincibles side and was also versatile.
Wenger sold him far too soon.

2 Likes