Santi Cazorla

He’s back in the Spain squad :smiley:

First time in four years.

12 Likes

very happy for him.

with hindsight it was a pants idea letting him go - him instead of Xhaka in our midfield could’ve been transformative.

2 Likes

He’d have been snapped in his first game back by some fucking clogger playing for a cunt team like Watford or Burnley and wouldn’t have resurfaced for another 11 months.

7 Likes

Back in the Spain squad? Good for him - that’s a remarkable comeback.

Has he been injured / missing much this season?

1 Like

IMO, if our squad is 6th best and we are satisfied to get 6th… then a lot of managers in this world could do this job, not limited to Emery or certain managers.

We want a better manager because we want to be better than 6th.

1 Like

One of our greatest players in recent years and one of the most likeable, so happy for him to back in the Spain squad :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Congrats to Santi making it back to the national squad, monumental effort.

1 Like
10 Likes

this is the advantage of being short… quick turns

And being absolutely fucking class

7 Likes

This guy’s too much :heart_eyes:

1 Like

he looks a lot darker then when he was with us, most likely the sun in spain

Aint no one run a midfield like Santi

3 Likes

If he was 10 years younger and playing in his prime now, he’d be so much more appreciated. What a player.

4 Likes

His close control, dribbling, his multiple/various passing ranges and the fact he was actually quite sturdy (probably due to being 1 metre tall) would make him a beast in the modern game.

Would be a City player for sure lol

2 Likes

I guess the reason Santi flew under the radar for so long was because he played his prime when Spain had Alonso, Xavi and Iniesta in their respective primes.

It was partly the clubs he played at too. Real Madrid wanted to sign him in 08 and for whatever reason he turned them down saying he was happy at Villareal.

If Barce signs him instead of Fabregas he probably suits their play far better and he’d get more recognition because instead of passing to Giroud and Theo, he’d be passing to Messi and Neymar

7 Likes

It was moving him to central midfield that was the master stroke though. He had a great season before that, but at CM he was an absolute beast. Ted Knutson of statsbomb (an Opta stats fiddler lol) has done several pieces on it if anyone cares to read more. When we got Özil, moved Cazorla back and called Coq back. That was when he was not just great but world class.

2 Likes

Indeed, but Cazorla was always appreciated in Spain. He featured prominently in the Euro Cup under Aragones and probably would’ve featured more for Del Bosque in later tournaments if it weren’t for untimely injuries. Also if you talk to most people in Spain they will tell you what all Arsenal fans know: on pure technique, no one beats Cazorla.

2 Likes

That’s good to know. He’s one of the only players I’ve watched in an Arsenal shirt over the last 8 or 9 years that’s made me think - wow this guy could play anywhere.

I don’t think I’ve ever personally seen a player as adept with both feet as him. He was a magician and it’s such a shame we were robbed of getting to see him for the last couple seasons of his Arsenal career.

It’s an even bigger shame that Wenger never gave him the proper players to unleash his full talent.

3 Likes