Sam Lollardyce

I see him as a good manager, I think he always do a good job, apart from the Newcastle job. Our games against him have been always difficult.

I rate him also highly because of that video of him taking the piss out Moaninho:

2 Likes

Heā€™s probably the best English manager out there but in terms of style of football - England will certainly not play an entertaining brand of football which will be a slight shame given the quality of technical player England seems to be producing right now.

Heā€™s a pragmatic manager. A solid tactician, a good man manager so I think itā€™s a good enough move for England if they want stability for a couple of years but he wonā€™t offer much more than that

As long as he doesnā€™t put Harry Kane on free-kicks and corners heā€™ll be an instant improvement for England.

On a more serious note though, heā€™ll do fine. Heā€™s not going to rip all the foundations set on club level apart and build something new as itā€™s impossible to do so for the NT. If the English club level core of players improves, so will the national team and thatā€™s what heā€™ll have to build upon and prepare with for the coming years.

Some of the most successful football nations in history do not (and have arguably never had) really strong domestic leagues. England produces as many good talent as other nations but the issues with in English football are rooted to tactical limiations, poor coaching and a lack of football identity. We simply do not produce enough good coaches and managers and the evidence is pretty clear to seeā€¦ since Bobby Robson departed as England manager weā€™ve had:

Graham Taylor, Terry Venables, Hoddle, Keegan, McClaren, Hodgson and now Fat Sam

(discounting foreign managers from the above list)

Until there are changes from the ground up the English national team will continue to lag behind. Itā€™s that simple

1 Like

@SRCJJ
I donā€™t disagree. I guess one part of my post is the source of misunderstanding here as I worded it poorly. What Iā€™m trying to say is that if you can find an English identity on club level youā€™ll also improve as a national team, as a lot of the recent (and past) teams that have been successful were built on the foundation that is set on club level and I reckon itā€™s not going to be any different for England.

1 Like

I gotta say, Iā€™m massively underwhelmed by Fat Sam as a bossā€¦think he really is scrapping the barrel at this level.

• Never managed a top club, let alone top players.
  • Win % over his last 4 Prem teams is around 33%
  • Several allegations of financial wrongdoings in past (none proved, but notable he never sued BBC when he said he would)
  • Biggest Achievement is winning 2 play off finals
  • Noted for keeping teams up rather than lifting trophies

Is this really what England managers are made of? The last England manager I can think of with such underwhelming Managerial career was Glenda, and he turned out okā€¦not.

@TA-6 Capello and Sven had the pedigree, Hodgson supposedly had the international experience. No matter what we do it never works out. This is just a roll of a different dice.

Del Bosque had a spell as Madrid manager but not much else, Low hadnā€™t a thrilling CV until he got the German job, Coleman never did much before Wales, Deschamps had an okay time in France before getting the national job. Conte probably has the best CV of any international manager and he decided he wanted to quit even before his first tournament!

The pedigree of international coaches really isnā€™t all that because if you were a top coach, youā€™d be at a club banking 200k a week and doing some work. An international manager is basically a scout for 90% of the time.

I donā€™t think teams win tournaments because of top coaches, itā€™s just coaches identifying a style, picking the right players, motivating them for the fight and away you go. Look at Portugal for example. Ive supported them for 20 years and this is not one of the best teams theyā€™ve had but they had a coach who stuck to something and got his players believing it and it worked. Similar for Coleman.

I think on paper Allardyce has many of these characteristics so I reckon itā€™s the right sort of gamble. We need a reality check and I thought Hodgson was that but he was weak. I think Sam will be stronger than him when it comes to making decisions.

Official.

wtf is that picture. Someone in the graphics department going mad.

Are they trying to say all the middle-aged women are getting wet from the Big Sam appointment? :henry:

Itā€™s a gamble but realistically given whatā€™s available itā€™s worth a go. I think @Craigie made some good points about some managers who didnā€™t achieve much at club level going on to achieve good things at International level. Given how dreadful weā€™ve been in recent tournaments, we canā€™t do any worse really. Sam always sets up his sides that are hard to beat.

England have been sometimes gulity of being a bit light weight and lacking mental toughness. Allardyce might be able to instill a better work effort into this lot.

Allardyce for Arsenal???

[quote=ā€œmorrisc311, post:32, topic:359ā€]
Allardyce for Arsenal???
[/quote]Letā€™s not go too far now :wenger:

1 Like

England has no ambition.

1 Like

Big Sam is a realistic manager, ā€œhe doesnā€™t give a shitā€ about the English team hype or the circus surrounding it. He should be reflecting that to the team as well. Thatā€™s why I see his appointment as a very clever idea.

[quote=ā€œTrion, post:34, topic:359, full:trueā€]
England has no ambition.
[/quote]No wonder Arsene was linked to the job.

2 Likes

4th place in WC2018 would be awesome :heart_eyes:

1 Like

[quote=ā€œMysty, post:36, topic:359, full:trueā€]

Heh. Wenger would consider 4-5 other National teams ahead of Shitty England.

1 Like

10 Likes

Would legitimately have done better in the Euros.

2 Likes