Ryan Bertrand

It won’t be a bad signing if it’s a short term deal on not crazy wages. You can then sign a young left back, say Doig, Small or Buchanan and loan them somewhere so they can get games under their belt.

See what Chelsea and Man Utd did with Thiago Silva and Cavani respectively. The key is to make them fight for their next deal.
3 year contracts like the one to Willian are ludicrous.

2 Likes

Bertrand will be our back-up left back. I’m not sure why anyone should be that bothered by such a signing.

5 Likes

Tbf, he has been one of the best left backs in the league for a while.
Should be able to fill in when needed.

I’d personally love Lewis but that’s pure NI bias.

2 Likes

But that’s not really what Tierney brings to the table. He was being used in a super attacking way. Can Bertrand copy that even a little? I’d like this signing better if we had an attacking right back to basically shift the burden to the opposite side when Tierney is rested or injured.

Fine by me, fill the squad hole early with a decent enough player (think Cedric) and move on to more pressing matters. No complaints here.

1 Like

He has a good left foot delivery, takes corners and freekicks and he’s fast

Plus he’s homegrown, so won’t use up a none HG spot. I can’t see us getting a better back up LB for free

1 Like

Forgot about the hg rule.

I’ll feel better if we address the right back position…but also hire a new coach. :tierney2:

1 Like

My feelings on this will heavily depend on contract length.

1 Like

Such an average uninspiring player and if signed perfecty encapulates where we are as a club.

Scrub of a coach and far too many scrub players.

5 Likes

How many teams would have a better back up left back if he signs? Not many

I don’t really get the focus on the back up aspect of brining in LB.

We should be looking to signing a player near or at KT’s level, or someone who has potential be a CL level player to compete with him. That’s how you actually improve the talent level of the squad rather than bringing in bottom half over the hill players on big wages and medium term deals that will solidify your slide as midtable team

I think KT is slightly overrated by Arsenal fans tbh and his availability so far hasn’t been great. Just on ability I wouldn’t want someone like bertrand filling in on a regularly basis.

We’ve gotta stop with the short term mentality when it comes to signing, it comes of off as cheap and lazy. Our free transfer business has been poor

5 Likes

The focus on the backup aspect is because he’s so injury prone since joining us.

1 Like

Why would you knowingly bring in someone of much lesser ability then? Maybe KT should be the back up and we should focus on brining in someone better?

1 Like

:vinai:

1 Like

I would prefer to spend money on a promising youngster. Tierney has 3 assists in 2 seasons in the league. He needs someone on his heels not an old guy

1 Like

How much money will it take to buy a player of Tierney’s calibre? Tierney cost us £25m back in 2019.

We’re in a position where we have to scrutinise every penny we spend. Spending that much on a left-back who will most likely play back-up is bad economics. That money could be used elsewhere.

3 Likes

Ask yourself this:

• Is he HG?
  • Is he gonna be expensive (60-80k pw shouldn’t be much for a club like Arsenal, especially if it’s a short deal and he’s free)
  • Is he coming in as a first choice LB?
  • Can he fill in the 5-10 matches per season that Tierney shouldn’t need to be playing?
  • Can he do a better job at LB than Saka, AMN, Cedric, Xhaka and Kolasinac?
2 Likes

Kroenke’s gonna Kroenke.

1 Like

I don’t know, it depends on the market and the player but there will always be a market full of opportunities. Based on what I’ve seen so far I don’t have alot of confidence Edu can “outsmart” the market for talented players like we need.

Bad economics is our current model, where we knowingly sign players past their best on great deals for them and their agent just to save a couple of quid. Take Cedric for example, what has he done since he signed? It’s clear he’s a bottom half PL player who can’t get a game rn as a back up even so how was that smart? We keep on doing business for players who lose value the moment we sign them and offer zero resale value.

Our focus should have been on bringing in someone better than Hector or a youngster with scope to improve. Now we have to pay to bring in actual quality at RB. All of our recent free agent business has been shocking maybe you should pay more for better?

1 Like