Rugby

All the talent in the world but was never quite content career wise was he. Flirting twice with NFL and rugby 7s.
Previous allegation in the states on this. Messed up now though and price too pay.

1 Like
3 Likes

Get all the padding and the crash helmets off. Then we’ll see how you do.

1 Like

This topic has been discussed countless times among rugby fans. For a start, this dork tweeting doesnt even realise that the game being played at the Olympics is 7s and not “rugby”.

I actually think if the US invested significant time, money and infrastructure to compete in rugby or 7s, they would be great at it and they are actually a very good 7s program already and have been that way for quite a while now.

It’s not really a question as to whether or not NFL players are elite athletes.

However, rugby is a significantly different game to gridiron. Outside of a similar shaped ball and the tackling and running, there aren’t many other similarities.

For example, many of the NFL guys would struggle greatly with scrummaging and all of the technicalities involved with play in and around the ruck, at least in the instance they were simply switched over to playing rugby from NFL.

In addition to this, gridiron is very stop-start and so the type of skills and athletic capability is very different. In rugby, you dont have the benefit of resetting and focusing on individual plays as much as you do with gridiron. Then there’s open play kicking and positioning, particularly if you are a wing or fullback.

Again, if top US athletes focused heavily on rugby then I’m sure that over time they would be great at it but its arrogant and ignorant from this guy to think you just chuck the best NFL guys into a game of rugby and they’d immediately dominate.

2 Likes

Who alerted Bavin to someone talking shit about rugby?

5 Likes

Exactly, it’s not that they wouldn’t be good eventually after devoting a lot of time to it.

But they are completely different sports and you wouldn’t necessarily be good at one of you are good at the other

1 Like

NRL premiership for Penrith with a tight win over the Rabbits.

Body blow for the Storm losing the prelim last week @Stroller , won 19 straight during the season scoring the most ever points in a season, to not win the premiership is pretty rough.

1 Like

Yeah it was similar to Penrith last seasons run to the final wasn’t it.
Pleased for them today because of that.

Going too old Trafford for the saints v Catalan final next week.
Hope that leaky roof is fixed.

1 Like

:bergkamp:

2 Likes

Good win for Ireland. I consider it partly a NZ win anyway since 20% of the the Irish starting side were Kiwis lol

1 Like

They look better in Green anyway :slight_smile:

These kits are ridiculous. Am I missing a link between Australia and Cadbury?

I’m happy for James Lowe. He has early onset arthritis and left NZ very young as a result so that he could help ensure a stronger financial future. Looks like it’s working out for him and he gets to play international rugby at a high level.

I think he would have been an All Black at some stage if he stayed here.

1 Like

Think you’re definitely right about that. He’s top quality.

Can’t call it the six nations I’d it doesn’t follow the usual format imo.

Is it not called the Six Nations because it features six nations though?

1 Like

Not the worse idea as a solution. No advantage playing in an empty stadium at home.

1 Like

The alternating home and away thing is important. But having read the article a bit more seems like they are wanting to give it up themselves. Weird.