Rob Holding

I’m thinking that Saliba may not want to at this point, especially if he gets on with Marseille while on loan.

Similar to Guen, the club is destroying any value he might have.

Any one care to wager that if he has a decent season, that Marseille won’t just make a lowball offer that Arsenal will accept?

If he truly isn’t better than Mari now, then this deal needs to be examined as well since the club got fleeced like they did for Pepe.

2 Likes

If Xhaka doesn’t sign the deal on offer, his value will go down, but after the reports today about Roma offering Chelsea £34m for Tammy…I think we were right to turn the offer down. From Arteta’s perspective, what type of replacement could we get for £12m and given our midfield options are not exactly great atm I think it was the right call.

I never thought we would get rid of Xhaka this season, so maybe we hold onto him for one more season and then seek to sell him next year when the transfer market improves post-Covid. I’d still like to see us get another CM this summer and there is a chance that Roma could come back in for Xhaka towards the end of the window. Maybe Arsenal are keeping the contract offer on the table and getting him to sign it if Roma don’t come back with an improved bid.

1 Like

Wondering if Xhaka’s mind was gone or not.
If he is willing to stay, at least we know how shit he was… his performance is pretty much calculated.
If his mind was already gone, it could be much worse.
Luckily, his pre-season form is pretty good and we have the usual Xhaka back, not the worse version.

I’m dubious that his value will increase with a new deal as I think most clubs see that he is error prone and his wages will be an issue for an Italian or German club. I doubt he improves any of those issues that he has had since he’s been here (pace, ability to play under pressure, etc).

Plus, a new deal will have to come with an increase in wages. I think he is beyond a sunk cost at this point and that the team is much better off without him.

I agree that the bid is low. If Arsenal’s transfer people can’t identify someone that’s an improvement over Xhaka for a reasonable fee, then we need new transfer people as well.

2 Likes

If all the money we had to replace Xhaka was the money we got for Xhaka, I’d take your point. But you put the 12m towards his replacement.

Xhaka is shit, nobody is expecting us to get enough money for him to be able to massively upgrade on him without chipping in some of our own money.

8 Likes

Problem with that being that despite all the fake Twitter plaudits nobody rates Xhaka, giving him another contract doesn’t increase his value mate it just prices him out of the market as £10-15m is what this guy is worth. Who the fuck is going to bid for this guy when he’s valued at nearly double the prices and on high wages? The Xhaka extension has to be one of the worst things Arteta and Edu have done, and these are the man that though paying a 32 year old Willian over £200k a week was good business :joy::rofl:.

8 Likes

His bald, his crap, he plays when no ones fit, rob holding

3 Likes

I didn’t want to, but you compelled me to edit your post.

Alternatively, “he’s bald, he’s crap, he plays at centre back…” would have done at a push

1 Like
3 Likes

Didn’t realise he had had a hair transplant.

He suits the skin head aswell

Looks so much better than he did last season

1 Like

Yeah, if he had a better beard game it would be a good look on him.

I’ve no idea how he hasn’t scored at least 10 goals the past year. The amount of times I’ve seen him miss a free header from a perfect spot. :man_facepalming:

Fucking hell Rob.

4 Likes

I do because he is fucking shite.

5 Likes

Tbh you’d still think he’d have at least shanked one off of his forehead into the top corner with the amount of chances he’s actually gotten. It’s unthinkable that even he hasn’t scored one of them at this point.

4 Likes

Our players are so shit at heading the ball it’s insane.
Gabriel is the only player I trust in the air.

I miss Giroud’s header

1 Like

Absolute garbage. I can’t believe Saliba died for this.

Other than the fact he cost next to nothing, I see no upside to Holding.

1 Like

Arteta just cannot explain how Holding and Mari are better than Saliba, but the fucker has the authority to fuck out the people that he does not like.

1 Like

Arsene Wenger back in the day responding to the ‘spend some fucking money’ chants.

“Unfortunately no one speaks about the performance of Rob Holding. You should be happy, he is English and 20 years old. I am sorry he didn’t cost £55 million, so he can’t be good.”

lol

3 Likes