Reiss Nelson (24)

All sprinters lift weights to enhance speed, so if he’s relying on speed he could be faster hitting the weights with an effective program. He’s just a little moron

I will let you know but don’t get spooked.

It’s sorcery. I’m a wizard.

2 Likes

All of that’s irrelevant. Explosive lifting allows you recruit more fast twitch fibres making you quicker.

TBH some of our players clearly don’t lift in the best ways. They get overly bulky and clearly train in a way that creates strength imbalances hence our injury problems.

Grant me a bigger dick, o magic one

You basically have absolutely no idea how our players prepare physically but top points for the guess work. :+1:

So while I am not at all engaging in a debate about Nelson’s working out routine, I am just opening your eyes that running fast is an ability influenced by different variables and muscle strength training does not apply in the same way to footballers and sprinters so you can’t really make the argument - sprinters do it so he should be doing it too. Don’t be a simpleton. Watch this video and educate yourself homeboy.

Here you are mate.

Did I mention I am a dyslexic wizard?

12 Likes

Yea that video doesn’t do anything to prove your point and actually contradicts you. Every Sport Scientist will tell you it’s proven that a progressive explosive lifting program will improve an individuals explosivity. Stride length has got nothing to do with that, I’m not sure why you think it does.

Many coaches in football believe Arsenal’s training program is the reason for the injury problems. And it stands to reason because every injury is a break in the strength chain. Sometimes these can be inflicted by an opponent. But any injury inflicted otherwise is a strength imbalance so down to the training.

Do quote those many coaches. Thanks.

People I know in the game, but a quick google: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/31427309

I’ll repost because it’s really simple. Any injury inflicted otherwise is a strength imbalance so down to the training.

Raymond Verheijen
He has also been a personal fitness coach to Craig Bellamy during his spells at Manchester City and Cardiff City, and advised Bayern Munich about the fitness of Arjen Robben.[4]

pheheheheheh good job quoting the personal coach to the two most injury prone players the world has ever seen hahaha

Nah seriously mate

I mean for real, when have I ever said anything about… stride length???

So you are saying better explosivity means less injuries? I am unable to make the correlation.

You seem so stuck on this explosivity issue? Why it matters so much to you and why do you think explosivity is so important to a football player :?

To be fair to you as a stand-by witness, explosivity strikes me as one of the stronger features of Nelson. Not too sure that is the thing he needs to be working on.

I didn’t intend for my post to come off as a comparison in techniques but more an indication that adding muscle doesn’t necessarily mean that Nelson would lose speed or anything.

If anything if he was to use the facilities available to his benefit he could develop a stronger and more explosive physique without even putting on much size at all.

1 Like

This is all true but doesn’t mean you don’t go to gym and use state of art facilities to improve explosiveness, strength, and agility.

CR is a classic case. Absolute specimen and has only aided his football effectiveness.

He has the ability to be great, but his attitude worries me. He could become a type of player for us that could be great but could a pain in backside to a coach and his staff if he doesn’t like the training methods or wanting to push himself. I don’t see Emery putting up with him if hangs onto that type of attitude. He be that type of player on the pitch who could be excellent when he feels like turning up but annoying when he doesn’t.

Only time will tell, but it wouldn’t shock me if he doesn’t make it at Arsenal under Emery.

No I’m not, sorry that misunderstanding. I’m saying correcting strength imbalances will prevent injuries and in contrast training that creates strength imbalances and routines that push the body to literal break point will create injuries.

Do our players suffering from Achilles injuries do heel drops daily after they’ve first being diagnosed with achilles injuries and continue to do them daily throughout their careers? If not they aren’t doing the corrective physical therapy. I don’t know the answer to that question but we have had loads of players with severe Achilles injuries, so I’d take a punt at no they probably don’t.

In terms of explosive training, that’s simply about reaching your potential. Explosive training aside, what about core training to improve his centre of gravity? Doing the right exercises in the gym will improve your centre of gravity. Nelson has great inate talent but has he got the attitude to become one of the best? Going back to the example of CR7, he wasn’t the stand out talent, he’s where he is now at 34 due to his level of dedication.

Regarding injuries, even the guy you quoted main criticism is that clubs overwork the players, not that they under-train them. And you are making this huge generalization and assumption that Nelson/our players have strength imbalances without any data to back it up, and you do that just to support a point you have stubbornly fixated to.

By the way sprinters get a lot of injuries too, and if there was any credibility to your arguments then they shouldn’t because they do a lot of core/power exercises apparently and have lots of muscle.

The thing is, nothing in Nelson’s football currently suggests he needs to hit the gym, so I don’t see why it has to be a big deal he’s unwilling to.

I am not arguing against the assumption that certain weight exercises can improve his overall physical condition (noting that we have no idea what his physical condition actually is and how much weight training he is doing as it is), but the important question is to ask if that is functionally necessary for him.

1 Like

He’s 19 so I’ll give him some leeway that he’s still growing up as a person, but he should apply himself better, even if he’s not being played much, it’s opportunity to expand more time elsewhere in private. Some of the most decorated players practised outside training hours to refine their craft. He’ll be seriously mistaken if he thinks his talent will take him far.

At what age did you guys started working out?

I think what is clear, is that if he has an issue with training, he wont last with Emery very long.

I can’t quite believe some of the responses here.

The stick he’s getting for his comment about everyone speaking German:

“I was just like: ‘Where am I going?’ and then before the first session I go into the changing room, all the guys are speaking German and I’m like: ‘What are they talking about?’”

If you read the comments, he’s evidently talking about his first day there. He’s referring to the sense of being alien, a kid from South London suddenly ending up in a foreign land in a specific area that couldn’t be more different from home, being surrounded by people who he can’t understand. It’s not like he’s seven months in and expecting everyone to speak his language ffs, he’s reflecting on how he felt in that specific initial moment.

The gym comments… I am sure he is closely advised on what kind of exercise he should be doing and how much of it he should be doing. Again, I’m not quite sure why this is so concerning.

Asked what he does in his spare time, he struggles to conjure up a response and looks embarrassed: “I go bowling, but I’m not very good.”

I thought this part was potentially quite important. He is a young lad and not one used to the limelight like someone like Cesc would have been at his age. It doesn’t seem like he’s used to or comfortable with giving interviews just yet. My only mild criticism would be that he should perhaps be more guarded and precise with his words, because it is clear that people are ready to read the absolute worst into what he says.

Give the kid a break, if gooners aren’t going to give him the benefit of the doubt, who will exactly?

7 Likes